May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

During the war the UK government did little in the way of military resources to protect Scotland. The Polish armed forces were sent north to defend Scotland and left to there own devices. After the war when Churchill sold out the Poles to the Russians  the UK government introduced the 1947 Polish Resettlement Act, the first mass immigration legislation. This led to resettlement communities being established in other parts of the UK.

There is a big difference in the reasons behind the Scottish and English communities.

In the UK's hour of need the Poles came to their assistance and now many just view them as parasites.

"A woman asked people to stop booing her when she said she no longer felt welcome in the UK since the EU referendum."

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-37725786

Sandy, most of the Polish armed forces that didn't go 'underground' in Poland relocated to the UK in the WW2. They were all over the country, and congregated particularly where there was an air base, because of the Polish Air Force relocating to them.

The Soviets invaded Poland from the East a few days after Germany invaded from the West under a secret pact in 1939. At the end of the war, the Soviets were the de-facto occupiers and rulers of Poland. Other than going to war with the Soviets, Churchill had no choice in Poland's destiny.

And, as I stated, younger people don't know about all of this (I blame the loony left slant that the education system has taken in the last few decades). So we have incidents/anecdotes appearing such as the one you referenced.

Why try to put such an anti-English slant on Polish heroism and their country's tragedy in WW2? What's your problem?

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Sandy, most of the Polish armed forces that didn't go 'underground' in Poland relocated to the UK in the WW2. They were all over the country, and congregated particularly where there was an air base, because of the Polish Air Force relocating to them.

The Soviets invaded Poland from the East a few days after Germany invaded from the West under a secret pact in 1939. At the end of the war, the Soviets were the de-facto occupiers and rulers of Poland. Other than going to war with the Soviets, Churchill had no choice in Poland's destiny.

And, as I stated, younger people don't know about all of this (I blame the loony left slant that the education system has taken in the last few decades). So we have incidents/anecdotes appearing such as the one you referenced.

Why try to put such an anti-English slant on Polish heroism and their country's tragedy in WW2? What's your problem?

There  is way more to what happened to the Poles than stated. Whole divisions ultimately ended up with us via N Africa after traumatic travails with the USSR. The soviets never returned their share of Poland agreed under the Molotov Ribbentrop pact and Poland was compensated with German land. Crucially, Poland was let down by Roosevelt who basically gave them to Stalin (Churchill was rather impotent by this time but seemed rather more interested in Greece than Poland). The Poles had it worse than anybody IMHO.

1 hour ago, Khun Han said:

" The first Polish troops reach  Scotland  on  5 August 1940  with a concurrent Anglo-Polish Military Agreement regulating the conditions of Polish Military Service in the  UK   Scotland  was completely unprotected against invasion and under real threat of German attacks, and the newly-arrived Poles were warmly welcomed. They immediately set to work defending  Scotland .  There was, however, no military infrastructure to accommodate them and they were left in our inhospitable climate, largely to their own devices, to live in tents, build their own camps, patrol the coastline and build coastal defences.  These Polish Service men and women made a lasting impression in  Scotland  during those early years. They could be seen in Cupar, Leven, Milnathort, Auchtermuchty, Crawford, Biggar,  Douglas , Duns, Kelso, Forres,  Perth ,Tayport, Lossiemouth, Arbroath, Forfar, and Carnoustie. There were Polish Schools of Engineering, a  Polish   Staff   College , a Polish Record Office and a  Polish   Parachute   Training School .

http://www.makers.org.uk/place/PolishInScotland2WW

You are perfectly free to interpret the history books as you see fit but you should keep it to yourself rather than attempt to mislead people.

You are also quite entitled to believe that there is no problem between Scotland and England over Brexit. The majority of Scots voted to remain but obviously outnumbered by English voters.

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

This Question Time from Hartlepool is worth watching in its entirety. Quite an eye opener!

I have expat tv and saw the whole programme when it was aired. There is little point referring to something seen on TV, nobody believes it, even quotes by prominent figures get shrugged off as media fabrication.

As you say some of the audience were unbelievable, quite prepared to cut off their nose to spite their face.

18 minutes ago, sandyf said:

" The first Polish troops reach  Scotland  on  5 August 1940  with a concurrent Anglo-Polish Military Agreement regulating the conditions of Polish Military Service in the  UK   Scotland  was completely unprotected against invasion and under real threat of German attacks, and the newly-arrived Poles were warmly welcomed. They immediately set to work defending  Scotland .  There was, however, no military infrastructure to accommodate them and they were left in our inhospitable climate, largely to their own devices, to live in tents, build their own camps, patrol the coastline and build coastal defences.  These Polish Service men and women made a lasting impression in  Scotland  during those early years. They could be seen in Cupar, Leven, Milnathort, Auchtermuchty, Crawford, Biggar,  Douglas , Duns, Kelso, Forres,  Perth ,Tayport, Lossiemouth, Arbroath, Forfar, and Carnoustie. There were Polish Schools of Engineering, a  Polish   Staff   College , a Polish Record Office and a  Polish   Parachute   Training School .

http://www.makers.org.uk/place/PolishInScotland2WW

You are perfectly free to interpret the history books as you see fit but you should keep it to yourself rather than attempt to mislead people.

You are also quite entitled to believe that there is no problem between Scotland and England over Brexit. The majority of Scots voted to remain but obviously outnumbered by English voters.

And, of course, no mention that the UK's resources were already stretched to their limits. And that Scotland was a much more distant and difficult target for German forces than England and Wales (particularly southern England, which was in comfortable range of German bombers).

But let's put an anti-English, pro-Scottish slant on it all, heh?

I got suspended for a day for calling chiang mai a liar over his complaining that I'd deliberately edited one of his posts (I hadn't: the forum software had removed his own embedded quotes). Here you are, accusing me of misleading (lying) about WW2 history when everything I've stated is established fact!

And, seeing as we're playing the anecdote game today, I can provide my own personal one.

There was a well-known alcoholic in the town where I grew up. He was a Polish guy called Dick. Everybody knew him because he daily cut a dishevelled figure around the town, often making a nuisance of himself. He was an obvious target of verbal abuse for the local kids. It wasn't until, as a young adult, I became friends with an older guy who was one of Dick's few real friends, that I found out his story. Dick had served in the Polish Air Force, and had made it to the UK along with others, where they served with the RAF for the rest of the war. He lost most of his family to the war, and, with time and sadness on his hands, he started drinking heavily when the war was over. This was in the north west of England.

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said in audio obtained byThe Guardian. “I think being part of a 500-million population trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

“If we were not in Europe, I think there would be firms and companies who would be looking to say, do they need to develop a mainland Europe presence rather than a UK presence? So I think there are definite benefits for us in economic terms."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/leaked-recordings-reveal-theresa-may-s-pro-eu-stance-ahead-of-brexit-vote-a7380286.html

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

“I think the economic arguments are clear,” she said in audio obtained byThe Guardian. “I think being part of a 500-million population trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

“If we were not in Europe, I think there would be firms and companies who would be looking to say, do they need to develop a mainland Europe presence rather than a UK presence? So I think there are definite benefits for us in economic terms."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/leaked-recordings-reveal-theresa-may-s-pro-eu-stance-ahead-of-brexit-vote-a7380286.html

Why is that news? PM May was openly a supporter uf remain pre-referendum. She's heeded the result of that referendum, and is acting accordingly. A true democrat.

Why is that news? PM May was openly a supporter uf remain pre-referendum. She's heeded the result of that referendum, and is acting accordingly. A true democrat.

You mean a true politician. Say whatever needs to be said depending where the wind blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, Khun Han said:

More Hansian history.....

39 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

it's not news, it's bad news as you now appear to concede.......the inevitable result is to damage the UK.

Let's face it the person incharge of Brexit thinks it's a bad idea......what kind of "democracy" is that?

if this is her opinion then anything she does can only be regarded as damage limitation

6 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The UK's future negotiations with the WTO just got a lot easier:

http://news.sky.com/story/brexit-will-not-cause-uk-trade-disruption-wto-boss-10632803

Ok that's fine between WTO and UK.

But what is WTO's role in the negotiations between the UK and the EU? Isn't that where the Brexit problems lie?

"Before the vote, Mr Azevedo was repeatedly warning about the difficulties Britain would face if it left the EU, including raising some questions about its membership of the organisation and its capacity to renegotiate the multitude of trade agreements previously signed on its behalf by the EU ... However, he did add that it was hard to anticipate how long it would take the UK to negotiate its new trade arrangements."

Time works against the UK for near-term (2 yrs?) economic recovery and stability.

25 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Ok that's fine between WTO and UK.

But what is WTO's role in the negotiations between the UK and the EU? Isn't that where the Brexit problems lie?

"Before the vote, Mr Azevedo was repeatedly warning about the difficulties Britain would face if it left the EU, including raising some questions about its membership of the organisation and its capacity to renegotiate the multitude of trade agreements previously signed on its behalf by the EU ... However, he did add that it was hard to anticipate how long it would take the UK to negotiate its new trade arrangements."

Time works against the UK for near-term (2 yrs?) economic recovery and stability.

And to continue from the bit you quoted:

"It's very difficult to predict but my understanding is that the UK government is fully aware of all that, we have been talking, they know of these complexities and they're trying to handle it in the best way they can.

"I told (Trade Secretary Liam Fox) that I myself and the WTO secretariat will be available to make the transition as smooth as possible.

"Then we have been in touch, not every day, but clearly there will be a very dynamic relationship in the future."

Asked whether he felt the UK had a comprehensive plan, he said: "I think there is a major strategy."

And yes, the article is about the WTO, an issue that is raised regularly in these discussions.

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. The UK's economy is doing fine and is stable (growing slightly, actually).

The issue with WTO is that we would need to submit our external traffic for approval which is by no means straight forward. If we adopt the EU external tarrif which we are under at the moment then it should be an eady process as, in effect, nothing has really changed however this would mean a big rise in prices/inflation on everything we import from the EU.

To adopt a new external tarrif different from the EU would be a huge process and involve consultation with industry groups across the UK.

1 minute ago, Srikcir said:

Thanks, that explains the drop in value of the GBP.

Up until recently, it had very little to do with the drop in value of Sterling, but that drop has just started impacting the economy in both good and bad ways. At the moment, the economy is still growing.

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Up until recently, it had very little to do with the drop in value of Sterling, but that drop has just started impacting the economy in both good and bad ways. At the moment, the economy is still growing.

Sterling has been supported by renewed hope that a sensible way forward will be found and that May has moved away from the stance taken at the conference. I see the floor holding at 1.22

Problem is what happens if inflation rises above say 3%? What does the bank do? Raise interest rates and risk recession?

Its good that WTO sees a smooth transition but resorting to WTO would be disastrous for FDI.

No, better to have confidential dialogue with key EU leaders about a sensible solution. 

15 hours ago, Johnyo said:

You mean a true politician. Say whatever needs to be said depending where the wind blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Exactly, say what suits the situation at the time. She has now abandoned her support for her own constituency in favour of Heathrow.

One minute she implies 'hard brexit' and the next a 'soft brexit', track record shows she cannot be trusted.

19 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Sterling has been supported by renewed hope that a sensible way forward will be found and that May has moved away from the stance taken at the conference. I see the floor holding at 1.22

Problem is what happens if inflation rises above say 3%? What does the bank do? Raise interest rates and risk recession?

Its good that WTO sees a smooth transition but resorting to WTO would be disastrous for FDI.

No, better to have confidential dialogue with key EU leaders about a sensible solution. 

I would like to think you were right regarding Sterling but I think its more likely that the drop in the dollar this week has offset further decline in the pound.

What many fail to realise is that although the WTO can try and assist as much as possible with the UK getting full trading status, at the end of the day the whole process must be approved by the WTO membership, not the fastest vehicle on the road.

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I would like to think you were right regarding Sterling but I think its more likely that the drop in the dollar this week has offset further decline in the pound.

What many fail to realise is that although the WTO can try and assist as much as possible with the UK getting full trading status, at the end of the day the whole process must be approved by the WTO membership, not the fastest vehicle on the road.

Thanks, I hadn't realised the USD had weakened. I would have thought the markets would be positive toward HRC!

TorFX a few minutes ago......

Sterling

The Pound strengthened across the board yesterday thanks to comments from junior ‘Brexit’ minister David Jones suggesting that both houses of parliament would get the chance to examine the government’s post-‘Brexit’ trade deal. The news hammered home the point made last week by a High Court lawyer, that any new EU trade deal would need to be ratified by parliament. Sterling rose in response to the development because parliament is seen as desiring a ‘soft Brexit’, whereby Britain would retain access to the single market, which most traders believe would benefit the domestic economy.

The big event on the calendar today is the third quarter UK GDP report, which is tipped to see quarterly growth slow from 0.7% to 0.3%. Anything above zero will probably prevent Sterling suffering any large losses, however, the potential for substantial gains appears somewhat muted – even if the figure smashes forecasts.

44 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Didn't someone goad him into a suspension?

That's too funny! The only person who can get a poster suspended is the poster themselves!!!

Meanwhile, there doesn't seem to be much confidence surrounding the passporting issue:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-26/banks-likely-to-lose-passporting-with-brexit-u-k-official-says

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Ray of sunshine about DB! Still in a deep hole but good news anyway.

Nothing about DB for ages! What happened to that bloke saying "the end of the Euro is nigh"? Haven't heard from him in yonks!

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37785091?client=safari

DB is not the only one in trouble. Are we to assume if Source were to collapse that would be the end of the pound?(Rhetorical ?)

https://www.ft.com/content/b415e971-3081-3bf0-8177-cea9deb735a7

Archived