US over stayer nabbed in Chiang Mai - but is he really 37?

rooster59

US over stayer nabbed in Chiang Mai - but is he really 37?

300332.jpg.5ccace6a32da7606e986b43606821992.jpg

Image: CM108

CHIANG MAI:-- Immigration in Chiang Mai have announced the arrest of an American man who overstayed his welcome in Thailand.

The authorities went to house number 26 in Soi 3 Kamphaengdin Road in Chang Khlang sub-district yesterday morning.

This was the registered address of Frank Muscarelli who CM 108.com reported as being 37 years old. Though sporting jet black hair and moustache he looked a little older.

Muscarelli came into Thailand in April 2013 on a tourist visa and had an extension that allowed him to stay until September 3rd this year.

He was thus on 47 days overstay and was arrested and detained.

Source: CM108   

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-22

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

all those cops to arrest a 47 day overstay - he must be a master criminal and a danger to society 

Overstay is one thing, but having a fake passport may be the tip of a big, hairy iceberg.  

I hope they checked the guy's freezer.  And, of course, verified his identity and/or sent his fingerprints to the FBI.

27 minutes ago, impulse said:

Overstay is one thing, but having a fake passport may be the tip of a big, hairy iceberg.  

I hope they checked the guy's freezer.  And, of course, verified his identity and/or sent his fingerprints to the FBI.

where does it say he has a fake passport?

2 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

all those cops to arrest a 47 day overstay - he must be a master criminal and a danger to society 

Taking in account that he carries a passport stating the age of 37, there is a high probability that he indeed is a master criminal.

It would be interesting to know how the immigration knew that he was on an overstay . I seem to recall that it has happened a few times recently . Immigration going to peoples houses to arrest them for overstay , these are not random checks, immigration seem to know that they are overstaying and where they live .

It could be that immigration are now checking peoples arrivals cards with their departure cards and going to visit those people who do not leave when their visa expires.

Which would explain why they got his guy on a short 47 day overstay .

30 days grace to let him leave voluntarily, a few days to check that he hadnt already left and a few days to track him down and arrest him and that would explain why they havent gone and got the long term overstayers , they long term overstayers arrival cards have probably been lost

I have seen this guy for the last 3 years from time to time at the Kad Suan Kaew shopping Plaza. He is one of those people that stick in your mind. When I first laid eyes on him he was muscular like he was working out at a gym. Great chest and arms cocky strut. Then I lost track of him for a while till a month or so ago and was shocked to see walking slowly with a cane. He has obviously come down with some sickness as the signs of deterioration was so rapid. He seemed like a quiet guy and I was quite shocked to read this article. 

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

If he is 37 need to check his passport for being original.:shock1:

alternatively get the American Embassy to have it verified although the age is not a relevant factor in the case unless he is using somebody else's passport.

3 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Just on the overstay.. 20,000 baht fine, a 5 year ban sense he was caught and a a free trip and lodging at the IDC in Bangkok until he comes up the money and a plane ticket. No help from his uncle.

What would happened if in a similar situation someone, lets say with no friends no family at all, would be incapable to buy a plane ticket? Could it last for years?

3 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

What would happened if in a similar situation someone, lets say with no friends no family at all, would be incapable to buy a plane ticket? Could it last for years?

I believe that the overstay fine gets reduced by 200 Baht per day that you are in IDC .

Some Embassy will give you the money for a flight home, although they will keep your passport until you repay the money .

Some people live at IDC, cannot or will not go back to their Country, so live permanently at IDC centers

I imagine there's a lot of guys in the OP indicated situation, having lived legally on extensions for 3 years, then all of a sudden- no extension available.  Job ended?  Business closed down?  Divorced?  Can't be a retirement thing with the passport of a 37 yo.

But the age discrepancy makes me wonder whether he entered Thailand on the passport he presented on his arrest, or acquired a stolen US passport once he got into the country.   I can't imagine a fake good enough to pass muster at each extension appointment.  Which, of course, begs the question of his true nationality.

The guy may be a good egg trapped in a bad health/financial/visa situation.  In which case, my heart would go out to him.  Or maybe not.

As is so often the case here, lots of details left out of the articles.  It would be interesting to get some input from someone who actually knew his situation.

Edit:  And of course, can't dismiss the distinct possibility that the reporter got the age thing confused....

Archived