How far can your wife walk?

baneko

On 10/24/2016 at 1:29 PM, chiang mai said:

The current record is 28.3 metres, from car to som tam stall after finding it had moved from its usual location.

...i actually witnessed a Thai running the other day....(you will have to take my word for it as i have no video clip).

My missus happily walks or cycles with me for miles if it's around the New Forest or somewhere pretty where there is the chance of spotting any animals. She really gets into her stride if shopping is involved and we now have an agreement on the shopping front because it bores me to death. I find a coffee shop and drink half a dozen cappuccinos while she browses the shops. I do most of mine on Amazon.

27 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Up and down Phu Kraduen a few times, even in the rainy season, Pho Chi fa, the big one in Nan (I forget the name) we had to camp 1/2 way up to the top, far too many national park walks to remember in Thailand, especially visiting caves.

Penny Fan a couple of times, small but tough mountains in Korea, in the Harzburg mountains, top of the Peak in HK. Up a darn big hill near the Plain of Jars to visit some HCM trail tunnels. Up the Draks in SA.

But the really hard graft, we used to walk all the way down Ekamai to Sukhumvit and then into Central for a drink in the evening, the pavement is terrible.

Its me that's knackered now, she is still as fit as a fiddle.

A fiddle can't move anywhere without help. I know what you mean though

The point is walking in 30°heat is for idiots. What's the old saying mad dogs and (amended to suit) farangs go for walk in the 30°heat.... Thais have it right why go out into the heat of the day if you don't have to. My mrs walks a good few km in the course of her work inside an air conditioned  shop. Where as I now get up at 5am go out into my wilderness garden for 2 hrs in the vain attempt  to slowly tame it. Then I'm  only venturing outside if I have to untill the sun goes down enough to venture to the local markets for food and the odd Chang at the local shop. Every other day the wilderness gets kicked into touch for a ride out on push bike.

8 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

The point is walking in 30°heat is for idiots. What's the old saying mad dogs and (amended to suit) farangs go for walk in the 30°heat.... Thais have it right why go out into the heat of the day if you don't have to. My mrs walks a good few km in the course of her work inside an air conditioned  shop. Where as I now get up at 5am go out into my wilderness garden for 2 hrs in the vain attempt  to slowly tame it. Then I'm  only venturing outside if I have to untill the sun goes down enough to venture to the local markets for food and the odd Chang at the local shop. Every other day the wilderness gets kicked into touch for a ride out on push bike.

I am not a mad dog but I am an Englishman. I go out into the midday sun more than four days a week and cycle for up to two hours with no ill effects whatsoever! Yes, here in Thailand!  I have been doing that for nearly ten years. I WOULD be an idiot if I did that and I was affected badly by it. I am not, so I do it and I enjoy it.

What you actually mean, is that you would be an idiot if YOU did it!

7 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I am not a mad dog but I am an Englishman. I go out into the midday sun more than four days a week and cycle for up to two hours with no ill effects whatsoever! Yes, here in Thailand!  I have been doing that for nearly ten years. I WOULD be an idiot if I did that and I was affected badly by it. I am not, so I do it and I enjoy it.

What you actually mean, is that you would be an idiot if YOU did it!

No I was correct in the first place. Point proved me thinks the midday heat has got to you more than you realize.

My wife has been great about hiking. We have done cave hikes(some were 4 kms up). We did mountain walks to waterfalls. Walked up what seemed like 8,234,612 stairs to a temple top in Pran Buri yet I put a 4" lift kit on my truck and she whines about it everyday and wants me to put a side step to get in because she says it makes her tired...I don't get it.

Oh yeah... I meant to mention all hikes came with a lot of moaning how tired she was and always cost me some snacks....LOL

Actually - it depends on a few things.....

Is it a storewide sale....

What are those people watching/doing that she doesn't know about....

The location of the sun covered parking.....

No distance problems when on a family excursion/visit/friends visiting to walk the sights or the 3,000,000 steps to get to a yet unseen temple.....

No problems seeing everything on destination vacations/holidays....

However, mostly limited to watering the plants & gardening in the yard....

Her elliptical is a fine place to hang/sort the ironed clothes & I keep the tires topped off on her bicycles in the anticipation of those once in a blue moon rides....

Short answer - she can scenic/market/purpose walk with the best of them when she needs or wants.....

She just usually doesn't want to....

Mine goes for a walk with me everyday, but it is mostly for me and not for her. But she met up with some other women in the village and they started jogging together every morning at 5 am. I am really impressed as this has lasted almost for a full week already. Longer than last time!

My wife can walk alongside me everywhere I go at the same speed and distance that I can. No difference. Actually she could probably walk further than me. She's Thai. I guess the hot, humid weather, sweating and smelling of body odour puts off alot of Thai women walking long distances.

18 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

My wife can walk alongside me everywhere I go at the same speed and distance that I can. No difference. Actually she could probably walk further than me. She's Thai. I guess the hot, humid weather, sweating and smelling of body odour puts off alot of Thai women walking long distances.

My wife does not sweat like I do and she always smells good. Fortunately I know about deodorants. Plus the pong depends on what you eat.

We loved to explore on foot or bicycle. Thailand's climate is not exactly the best place for hours of hiking or cycling but we would go on all day strawls exploring cities or other sides. Slow passed, plenty of stops to enjoy the view.

When she immigrated to the Netherlands the climate was a lot more favourable for long walks and cycling. Especially in spring and autumn when it was not too hot, not too cold, some sunshine but not too much either,  she absolutely loved to go on walks or cycling with me.  On many a day  if I'd ask her what she would like to do today she'd say she wished to go out for a walk or a cycling tour together. We enjoyed many such a walk or cycle tour through the farmfields, forests and dunes. Taking in fresh air, enjoying nature. We'd also go city trips in Netherlands and elsewhere in Europe and we'd cover plenty of kilometers admiring the architecture of (old) buildings.

So  how far could she walk? As far as I could.  Must be a complicating factor if one has a partner who hates or dislikes walking and sight seeing if you yourself do. That's a compatibility issue. I'm glad my loved one wasn't lazy, but that she did enjoy excersize and going out to explore and learn more about cultures, nature, history etc. just as much as I did and do. I think we encouraged eachother to do so more frequently. This year, being windowed, I have spent a lot less time cycling, walking and hiking. Such things are after all much more fun together and as a bonus give plenty of conversation material to talk about with your dearest. 

My wife loves walking for health. Last week we walked over the hills for 1 hour 45 mins on two separate days, then a 2 hour walk another day, and then 6 clicks another. And we walk at a good pace, no dawdling. She is 60 and I am 72..... both in great health. She also swims much more than me. Fun to be healthy.

Walking and Missus are normally mutually exclusive terms here at home...

Did a world trip, which included 5 days in Paris... and we never used the car even the once, but walked all over town, from breakfast till dark - and she loved it...

... but then we came home, and.............

First partner, I suggested we walk this time in to town as it's nothing (it's only 8.5 minutes).  After nearly breaking her heels several times and cursing the pavement she never did it again ever.

Next and current partner will take the easy option for nipping to shops, but is not scared of walking and will wear sensible shoes and does a respectable pace and even takes the back pack.  I offer to take the backpack and she says it's no problem.  They she hands it to me 100 metres from home and I think what the.. this much be 25Kg of fruit in here, and I have to admit (though I don't want to), that I have trouble keeping up with her.  Running she can't do (and neither can I - seem to have tendon insertion points designed for something else, even in my pre-teens, so it's a bit like the hare and the tortoise to watch us.  We get there at the same time though.

Erawan caves a couple of months ago the first 100 steps I thought 'this is easy peasy', 2nd 100 steps 'thighs and some unknown muscles starting to burn, 3rd 100 steps and the breeze has gone and suddenly soaking my shirt.  I was rather pasty and shaky when I came down, which took no time at all (that's when I usually get the injury.  To her it's just like a kid running ahead. 16+ years between  us and I'm a keyboard nerd, so I just talk about my mountain experiences of days gone by, but it'd take some training to get back to that level.  I'd like to move to a place with trails so we can go biking together.  She'd be up for that, but probably a little restrained and not macho.

10 minutes ago, khundon said:

Over the last 12 years, I have encouraged my wife to walk at least 4 miles a day.

She is now approximately 17,500 miles away and I miss her so much, but not enough to give her the plane fare home. :coffee1:

There's no need to send her the airfare, at 17,500 miles she's already two thirds of the way back, albeit she will be 60 years older than when you last saw her (circumference of the planet =24,500 miles)

:post-4641-1156694572:

4 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

There's no need to send her the airfare, at 17,500 miles she's already two thirds of the way back, albeit she will be 60 years older than when you last saw her (circumference of the planet =24,500 miles)

:post-4641-1156694572:

There is nothing worse, than a mathematician bursting your bubble. :glare:

Our tea field is half a kilometer away, and she has no problem walking out there and working all day and walking home. We have done some three day treks where you pack everything in on your back. She kept up just fine in Nepal too, where the trekking was more serious. She doesn't like unnecessary time in the sun, but that is just common sense eh.

Walking and Missus are normally mutually exclusive terms here at home...

Did a world trip, which included 5 days in Paris... and we never used the car even the once, but walked all over town, from breakfast till dark - and she loved it...

... but then we came home, and.............

You walked to Paris in 5 days? [emoji1]

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:54 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Poor attempt so 1 out of ten for being a spelling police man. So I was correct

"Realise" is spelt correctly in British English. "police man" is only one word: 'policeman' in both British and American English is correct. 

And by the way, I did another 90 minutes of cycling over the period of the midday sun today and I gave you a fleeting thought as I passed by the "Rat and Toad" pub.

26 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

"Realise" is spelt correctly in British English. "police man" is only one word: 'policeman' in both British and American English is correct. 

And by the way, I did another 90 minutes of cycling over the period of the midday sun today and I gave you a fleeting thought as I passed by the "Rat and Toad" pub.

Don't be harboring any thoughts of me sorry I'm not Gay but I don't look down on those of you that are. Ps grammer police men are not welcome on this site. Please feel free not to inform me of your devious thoughts in future I've just eaten. 

On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 9:58 PM, swissie said:

Thats funny! While I lived in the "sticks", I always took long walks. At first, the Thai's stopped, thinking my Motorbike had broken down, offering me a ride.

After a while, they realized that I am doing this on a voluntary basis. Conclusion: "Just another crazy Farang, but otherwise, he is an OK guy". 555

- Maybe this aversion by Thai's to walk and generally avoid unnecessary physical exertion may well date back to times when there was no farm machinery, only strenuous physical labor.

Well understood, a person performing hard labor must eat a lot. Remarkably, (these days)  Ladies working in the Entertainment Sector, must be convinced that their trade consists of nothing less than "hard labor". So they eat accordingly. AND IT SHOWS! (= Increasingly.)
Cheers.

Where I live in Pattaya thais are running '- speed walking - using open air equipment and really into "fitness" Same in Roi et and other places. Free equipment in fitness parks and trim trails are a feature of Thai culture. There are gyms all over the place. Because of their agrarian back ground thais are used to strenuous hardwork.  But they are also pragmatic and if there is a foreigner around to spoil them then they'll go for the easy option.

Archived