1st application extension of stay (retirement) Samui.

I  have my Non O single entry visa. Issued 20/10/16 until 19/01/17 (90 days).

I understand the process normally is that I have to apply for the one year extension of stay (based on retirement) 30 days before visa expiry, which in my estimation is 21/12/16. NOTE TO SELF! Check Christmas opening times!!

My application will be made at Koh Samui Imm. where I understand there are certain specific requirements, and from reading certain threads, some “unusual” requests.

So, to better prepare myself I would like to ask if the following is OK, or anything missing?

Subject to any later Immigration changes, I intend to follow these requirements, copied from post by VirgoSG. Thanks.

Retirement Extension of Stay, Koh Samui, August 2016

CHECKLIST

Note:  This is exactly as done/used/learned by me this week (August 2016)

Items marked in blue were new or modified requirements this year.  

Can apply within 7 working days of permission to stay expiry (exclude w/e and PH)

Can submit re-entry permit application at same time and both will be processed together (did this in 2014, 2015 and 2016)

1    Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, form TM.7 

2    Foreign National Information form.  There is also a “change of information” form which I assume can be completed in the future, but who knows

3    One photo 4cm x 6cm, plus another photo for Foreign National Information form. 

4    Application fee of THB1,900

5    Original passport*

6    Photocopies of passport pages. These must now be PORTRAIT format, not landscape!!

a. Identity page showing picture, name, and date issued, etc. 

b. Page showing the original Non-Immigrant O-A Visa*

c. Page(s) showing each subsequent one year extension, if applicable 

d. Page showing the last entry stamp into Thailand

[Personally, I always give them photocopies of every single page and they can choose what they want

7. Photocopy of Departure Card, TM.6 (the card stapled in your passport) PORTRAIT format

8.  Original letter from Bank certifying account and showing balance.   Valid for 7 days

9.  Statement from bank covering at least 3 months (new requirement from 2015)

10.  Photocopy of bank passbook identity page and copies of past 3 months balances (also take original). Still needed, despite requirement for bank statement.  These must now be PORTRAIT format, not landscape!!

11.  Health certificate which now must be from a hospital (I used Thai International Hospital opposite Chaweng Tesco, for THB250) - valid 7 days

12.  Evidence of current address: I was told in 2014 that just a copy of the house book (my name is NOT in it) will suffice and that is all that I submitted in 2014, 2015 and 2016.  However, I also take copy of chanote title, copy of Service Contract, and recent bills showing address, but nothing ever asked for

13.  Google Maps printout showing your home address (first asked for by Immigration in 2014).  From 2015 you've been required to show applicant name and Latitude + Longitude of address on printout. Instructions now specifically say SATELLITE VIEW.  

*My original Non-Imm O-A Visa was in an old passport, which I also copied and took with me (same as for my previous 2 annual extensions).  This year they insisted they do a "transfer" (actually a notation) to my current passport  for THB500.  Although I was quite happy with the prior arrangement, I couldn't be bothered to argue.      

REMEMBER TO SIGN ALL PHOTOCOPIES

Despite some reports of improved efficiency at Nathon Immigration office, it appears they have reverted to their old ways.  Although I had all the documents necessary when I went to the office (other than landscape photocopies, which they re-copied for me in portrait format), it still required 3 visits over 2 days before I was finished, and the usual frustrating (but generally smiling) inefficiency I have come to know and love.

Nathon Immigration office list of requirements is attached here, for what it is worth

RECENT NEW  REQUIREMENT? I understand from recent Samui threads that they now want a hand drawn map along with the Google Map printout.

This brings me to the "unusual" requests. I have read here of THB5,000 fee request to expedite application quicker than 30 days. My question regarding this is can I /should I apply earlier than 30 days before my expiry date to avoid any last minute delays? I will not require such extra services.

I intend to put the THB1,900 in an envelope marked "Fee for extension application". Plus another THB3,800 in another envelope marked for "Multi-entry permit" to be clear. 

I understand that I can apply for Multi -entry permit once I have my extension of stay issued.

So that's how I understand it. Anything missing? Or wrong?

Thanks.

Samui immigration will only allow you to apply for an extension within 7 days of expiry.  If you turn up before that they will tell you to return later.

I have never heard of them dragging an application out 30 days, they will just try and see how long you are prepared to wait (all day?, do you ask how much longer ever couple of hours?).  The 5000 baht is to get them to stop playing this game.  You can get your extension without paying just expect to wait for a day and be sent to get something else if you don't pay.

Edited by Bsd
Missing word
  • Like 2

Hi PhetPhet

Great list - I think you just about have it all. The only thing I can see is that they also like you to sign each page of photocopy, but not a big issue.

They say there is only one guy who can sign retirement visas, so if he is not around you may need to return the next day, otherwise I think you will sail through.

• Like 1

What a rigamarole. Makes me glad I retired to the Philippines. Immigration here is first class, no <deleted> trying to spoil your day. They are the complete opposite, The staff are very helpful so helpful they give you their personal mobile number so you can contact them anytime. Even the procedure is simpler than in Thailand.

I find that incredible.  Just renewed my extension based on retirement:

Proof of address

2 photos

Income letter from British Embassy

Passport

1,900 baht

In and out in 30 mins all done.  Plus it can be done anytime in the last 30 days.

Glad I don't live in Samui.

NOTE TO SELF! Check Christmas opening times!!

This year Christmas falls on a Sunday.

Last year I did my annual retirement extension on Christmas day (at Jomtien) and it was great. Hardly anyone showed up on the erroneous assumption it was a holiday in Thailand or because of family commitments.

8 hours ago, Bsd said:

Samui immigration will only allow you to apply for an extension within 7 days of expiry.  If you turn up before that they will tell you to return later.

I have never heard of them dragging an application out 30 days, they will just try and see how long you are prepared to wait (all day?, do you ask how much longer ever couple of hours?).  The 5000 baht is to get them to stop playing this game.  You can get your extension without paying just expect to wait for a day and be sent to get something else if you don't pay.

Thanks.

Another Samui peculiarity? I read here when thirty days left. Though probably correct in other places.

Next question:

On TM.7. Where it says "I wish to apply for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom for another period of ...... days"

Do I put 90 days? As I understand I have to report every 90 ninety days.

Or can I put a year or 365 days? I will be applying for a one year multiple entry permit.

Thanks.

Edited by phetphet
Correction

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Thanks.

Another Samui peculiarity? I read here when thirty days left. Though probably correct in other places.

Next question:

Where it says "I wish to apply for an extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom for another period of ...... days"

Do I put 90 days? As I understand I have to report every 90 ninety days.

Or can I put a year or 365 days? I will be applying for a one year multiple entry permit.

Thanks.

You put 365 days. Ninety day reports have nothing to with extensions other than that they allow you to stay long enough that you need to do them.

As soon as you have your extension stamp you can apply for the multiple re-entry perm that will be valid to the date your extension ends.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I went to Samui Immigration today, 10/01 to apply for an extension based on retirement. My Non Imm 'O' expires 19/01. 

I had followed the list as in post no.1 here, making all copies in portrait, but still fell short of their unusual requirements.

I had made copies of my passport, visa page, and departure card, in portrait, on separate sheets of paper. it seems they wanted visa and departure card on the same sheet, in landscape. They did the copies themselves, all smiles and efficiency, and told me to come back in one hour.

Great, I thought.  Went back in an hour, and was told, "Must do again Google map".  The girl did it herself on her mobile phone, and told me to keep my queue ticket number, and come back on the 12th.

So, as others have said on here, (unless it's for another reason),  it seems that they won't process an extension based on retirement more than seven days prior to visa expiry. Even for first timers.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2016 at 2:38 AM, Bsd said:

The so-called, to me always kind, "Birdman" did it 30-days early for me; but yes, Samui Immigration normally don't accept more than a week before.

And by the way, Samui Immigration officers are kind and organized, if you are well prepared – dress nice, be polite and smile; and they will do it for 1,900 baht within "normal" processing time – I've never been "overcharged" more than 100-baht, handing two 1000-baht notes and no change returned; and I don't ask for it either, and don't care about a receipt, as long as I get my extension to stay in the Kingdom for another year...:smile:

By the way, if you also apply for a multiple re-entry permission, you will pay in the area of 5,000 baht...:whistling:

2 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The so-called, to me always kind, "Birdman" did it 30-days early for me; but yes, Samui Immigration normally don't accept more than a week before.

And by the way, Samui Immigration officers are kind and organized, if you are well prepared – dress nice, be polite and smile; and they will do it for 1,900 baht within "normal" processing time – I've never been "overcharged" more than 100-baht, handing two 1000-baht notes and no change returned; and I don't ask for it either, and don't care about a receipt, as long as I get my extension to stay in the Kingdom for another year...:smile:

By the way, if you also apply for a multiple re-entry permission, you will pay in the area of 5,000 baht...:whistling:

I have never had a problem with the ladies behind the front desk at Samui Immigration, "Birdman" never tried to over charge me and the longest it took for me to get an extension from was 4 hours because he wanted a new Kor Ror 22 and the amphur had a long queue.

His replacement, well after making me wait from 9am until 4pm to be seen, while she only met with 2 other people (one of whom arrived 5 hours after me), then asked how much I had paid "Birdman" for my extensions before agreeing to accept my 1,900 baht.  Being on a marriage extension, which takes 30 days to process, I never pay for the re-entry permit at the same time.

I always dress smartly, and other than asking every hour or so how much longer will it be when I can see the IO is doing nothing I am polite.  my 100 baht change has always been returned, sometimes with a receipt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

khunPer.. when you say THB5,000, do you mean 1,900 for extension + 3,800 for multi re-entry permit = 5,700 in total?

I had the funds in two envelopes, clearly marked 1,900 for extension,  3,800 for multiple re-entry permit. They just said "Not pay now. Pay later."

4 hours ago, phetphet said:

khunPer.. when you say THB5,000, do you mean 1,900 for extension + 3,800 for multi re-entry permit = 5,700 in total?

I had the funds in two envelopes, clearly marked 1,900 for extension,  3,800 for multiple re-entry permit. They just said "Not pay now. Pay later."

Yes, I couldn't remember the correct price and was on my way out, so didn't check and just said in the "area af 5,000 baht" – the later years I stopped applying for multiple re-entry, as some years I haven't left the Kingdom at all, and if I do, it's normally only once a year. In the old office, and that's some years back then, I paid it together; in the new office I also tried to have Visa-stamp etc. moved to a new passport, and they wished to complete the one job with stamps and pay for that only, before the next with the application for extension of stay...:smile:

• Like 1

Thank you all -- very helpful indeed!  

Does anyone have a copy/scan (with the private info shaded out) of the bank letter needed for immigration when requesting a first retirement extension to a "non O"?    I ask as my small local branch of Kasikorn don't know what I'm talking about, and their English is not great,  and I don't know exactly what the letter needs to state, if it needs to be in English or Thai, etc...

And I gather it has to be dated the day of the visa extension request -- correct?  

Many thx

TAD

2 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Does anyone have a copy/scan (with the private info shaded out) of the bank letter needed for immigration when requesting a first retirement extension to a "non O"?    I ask as my small local branch of Kasikorn don't know what I'm talking about, and their English is not great,  and I don't know exactly what the letter needs to state, if it needs to be in English or Thai, etc...

And I gather it has to be dated the day of the visa extension request -- correct?  

Many thx

TAD

Sory, I don't have a scan. I took the letter I was given straight to Immigration.

I asked in my branch of K-Bank, and they knew exactly what I was talking about, and did it straight away. Probably had a lot of expats here in Samui asking for them. lite Beer is correct in saying that they have a template on their computer,  and they just fill in your details.

Maybe ask in a bigger branch if they can write down the details of which templates, so that you can show your local branch.

7 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

The letter will be in Thai and state the amount in your account on that particular day.

The bank really should know and have a template in their computer.

Get it on the day you apply or the day before.

Thank you!  I will try a bigger branch. Does it not have to be dated the day of the application?

8 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Many thx

TAD

Immigration keep the letter – I checked if I had canned one of mine before, but unfortunately not, usually I get it same day, or the day before, I visit Immigration for extension. All banks normally know what you need – the should have a standard letter in their files, and just add actual data – if your Kasikorn branch is in doubt, ask them to contact another Kasikorn branch at Samui, or the local head-office in Nathon; they must have hundreds of clients asking for that letter and statement every year.

18 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Thank you!  I will try a bigger branch. Does it not have to be dated the day of the application?

I normally use the K-Bank on Chaweng beach road at the junction of the lake road. If you are based in the area, maybe try there.

I got my letter on the Monday, and took it the next day.

On 1/17/2017 at 8:08 AM, The Artful Dodger said:

Many thx

TAD

Here is a copy...

kasi.gif

• Like 1