Tourist Visas for Thais

RabC

I have searched online and am getting 2 different answers one is that Thais not get 14 days visa free entry for tourists the other that Thais still need tourist visas. Can anyone with recent experience help please?

Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

Thais get a visa exempt stamp at immigration ( land or Air)

They can also apply for a visa if  desired for longer than 14 days

Know 100% for sure

Cheers for that, it appears the Myanmar BKK Embassy web site isn't fully updated, our trip is 10 days so hassles.

Confirmed. My wife (Thai) is coming to Myanmar on 14 days visa exempt most of the time. She usually do 2 weeks in Myanmar, 2 weeks in Thailand and so on... Be aware that it happen that airline is requesting a return to Thailand on visa exempt. Not all time but randomly. Whenever she decide to stay longer than 14 days, she just apply tourist visa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

After reading this thread i believed that Thais travelling to Myanmar (land or air) can get a visa exempt stamp on arrival, in their passport for upto 14days of travel within Myanmar.

INCORRECT, not all border checkpoints allow this.

At the Phu Nam Ron, Kanchanaburi border checkpoint the above is not possible. A valid Myanmar visa must be present in their passport.

Thai nationals can show their ID card or passport (without visa) at Phu Nam Ron immigration checkpoint and get a 7 day travel permit to visit the Dawei area only, no travel outside of this area is allowed.

Back we go to Bangkok and the Myanmar embassy :angry:

RabC have you completed your trip yet? What was your point of entry to Myanmar and did you have no hassles? :biggrin:

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 5:29 PM, phuketrichard said:

Thais get a visa exempt stamp at immigration ( land or Air)

They can also apply for a visa if  desired for longer than 14 days

Know 100% for sure

By land they require a visa, it can be embassy issued or an e-visa. I'm 100% sure that only entry by air allows visa-free entry. Doing a quick Google search you will realize that the Thai-Myanmar reciprocal visa exemption is only for air entries. Also, it is not possible for a Thai to arrive on a 14-day visa waiver and leave by land. Since Sep 1, 2016 when the e-visa was introduced Myanmar stopped all visa exempt ASEAN nationals from entering visa-free by land. They must now obtain an e-visa.

There is no provision for visa-free land based entry using a Thai passport. However, some border crossings allow Thais to use their ID cards and obtain border passes for travel a certain distance inside the country but not elsewhere. For example, the Mae Sot-Myawady crossing allows 7 days in Myawady and surrounding areas but no further travel inside the country. The Phu Nam Ron-Htee Khee crossing allows 7 days travel to Dawei and Maungmagan beach using just a border pass. The Dan Singkorn crossing allows 14 days for travel to Myeik. The Mae Sai/Tachilek crossing allows 14 days for travel up to Kengtung (and possibly Mong La too). The Ranong/Kawthoung crossing doesn't require a visa for 14 day stays, but not sure if Thais can use a border pass there. However, just like at the other land based crossings, without a passport and visa, Thais are restricted to a certain radius from Kawthoung. Finally, other local border crossings allow day return trips only including the Three Pagodas Pass/Payathonzu border. No doubt some of these border crossings may be unfamiliar to foreigners since they aren't open to us.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, phuketrichard said:

MY Cambodian GF gets a free  14 day stamp at Kwathoung ( 2x now in past year)

Not anymore since September 1st last year. She must have an e-visa. A 14 day stamp at Kawthoung may still be possible, but it doesn't allow travel further than the border area. The previous visa exemptions for ASEAN nationals at Thai land border entry points have finished.

My friend is an immigration official and he confirmed this to me.

Archived