Price Thailand VS UK

ardokano

6 hours ago, beachproperty said:

That's fine....But the point was that to build in the US costs at a minimum $100/sq ft vs $25/sq ft in Thailand.

Thailand is Cheaper

But is the minimum house comparable to the US? Aren't the minimum standards much higher?  Like they have insulation throughout, heat, hot water, different plumbing and electrical standards, and I am sure many other things that are required legally ...I just don't know much about building to be able to list them.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, amykat said:

But is the minimum house comparable to the US? Aren't the minimum standards much higher?  Like they have insulation throughout, heat, hot water, different plumbing and electrical standards, and I am sure many other things that are required legally ...I just don't know much building to be able to list them.

Minimum standards are higher ......but the $100/sq ft for a house is using the MINIMUM acceptable quality of material and only using the cheapest labor you can find. Any quality house for example would probably be $200-$300/sq ft. 

The houses I have built in Thailand have all been built to a US standard, if not more, and they have cost me $25/sq ft. Which includes double walls with insulation inside, 12 mm thick windows instead of the standard 6 mm thick, 16mm instead of 12 mm rebar, and all custom tiles.

I have this year moved back to the UK, set up a second home as an insurance against Thailand going badly, and run 2 homes. 

I dont buy low quality junk. I am not living with lackys and farting through silk but I also am not using disposable plastic chinese crap. I can say with 100% certainty that 'for me' life in the UK is a lot cheaper. 

Fitting out a new home from scratch every pot pan plate knife fork chefs knives etc.. Mind blowing how cheap it was. TVs, stereos, home theater and games machines.. 

Basic food and drink shopping, cheaper for my purchases and alcohol far cheaper. Wine and craft beer is 1/3rd the price and I drink a fair amount of it. 

M sport BMW 5 series.. 1/4 the price.. 

Even my rent, utiltities, etc are cheaper and higher quality. I dont have a pool here tho, but still have an old boy do my garden. 

Lastly theres simply so much money here.. I started a biz in May, its making about 10k a month now, contracts in hand mean the biz should be making 40 - 50k a month profits at the 12 month mark. So in one country I simply spend costs in another I make a few 100k a year easily. 

Theres just no comparison for me. But the winter is coming so I will soon be back to asia. If it wasnt for the wife and dog I would just have a villa in portugal or spain. 

6 hours ago, beachproperty said:

I can only guess....But you don't live in Calif. where it costs $50,000 for all the planning fees, arch, engineer, school fees, pge, sanitation and water hookup

AND that's before building .

Thailand all those fees are $1000. I know, I've built 4 homes in Thailand

Okay, and what about this ...are you saying that all those housing developments in CA where a house sells for $300-400K, that $50K was spent on each one on the stuff listed above? Or that this is only when a lone ranger goes out on his own and tries to build a custom home?

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I can see why you get banned on TV, you tend to irritate people me when you say they are full of BS !

I did sell my place back in Sydney, and yes Sydney prices do appreciate in value, the residential housing market has been on the up for 4 years, not seen before, and watch out for that landing though, because everybody is too focused on the up, thinking the bubble won't pop, hence one of the reasons I got out  of the market in June, that and becoming a non resident made it not feasible to hold onto with all the taxes etc etc, that the government wanted me, an Aussie citizen, to pay, because although I am an Aussie citizen, I am a foreign resident, "please", talk about hypocrisy at the highest level, while they open $1,400 cases of Penfold Grange at the tax payers expense, or have their dogs chauffeur driver in tax payer funded cars to their holiday house 120 kilometres away, only to have the driver return to pick up the minister later that day, thank you Australian government/s. I didn't bag Australia, I stipulated my comparisons to the cost of living in Australia Vs Thailand, however since you raised it, Sydney is very expensive, far too expensive, did you not hear, just yesterday inflation were up 0.7% more than what they anticipated, veggies up 12%, Thailand is much cheaper than Australia, your delusional.

You must have rocks in your head, $400 a month on utilities in Sydney is so easy, council rates per annum $1,200, water rates $1,200 per annum, electricity $1,400 per annum, gas $1,000 per annum, now my maths when divided by 12 months gives me $400, now that's without adding insurance on the place, and strata levies if you own a unit/villa/townhouse, so my monthly figure could be considered conservative, you must be on a disability pension 555

What are you going on about mate, you sound like a broken records, you definatley have a chip on your shoulder, it is what it is, I worked in Australia, I made money, and YES, if I didn't, I wouldn't be here, your point is ?, what many years ago, the british invaded Australia and took the Aborigines land and I prospered, get a life, if you love Australia so much, go and join the army and serve for YOUR country, I am sure all the politicians will join as well, get your hand off it.

It is irrelevant if property prices go up in Thailand or not for me, and I am grateful I met my wife, she was my ticket out of the land of slavery.

Do us all a favour on TV, go back to Australia, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just disappear from the forum, I am sure your derogatory ill informed comments won't be missed 555 

Did I say you are full of bs no I did not you said to your self not me .

Boy you make me laugh 55555555

you are just not with are you , you have no idea I think .

you trying to make your self happy in the land of smiles .

yes hop to be home very soon and I have a home to go to not like you .

you have no hop of selling or your home In thailand not worth much in the village like 50,000  thai bht I would say .

yes things go up but the money you get in Australia  justifies it .

for someone who goes on about Australia all the time how bad it is , you seem to NO a lot of what go's on back in Australia.

your not my mate get it .

not me who has the chip on my shoulder it is you who has the chip on your shoulder going on about how bad Australia is to make your self feel good about coming to thailand.

my point is you are here because of Australia get it .

not need to  join the army .

you are not a happy man I can see it in your  replys . 

You go on about the  Aborigines all the time what have they got to do with it .

if you are talking about all those utilities ok I agree  , but you make good money to pay for them not like Thais who make s??? Money here and cost them s??? Loads to live , not look at you who gets his money from Australia to   Survive In thailand,

if you think thailand so go , get all your money out of Australia and  invested in your new great county thailand.

no you would not do that but you bag Australia all the time .

7 minutes ago, amykat said:

Okay, and what about this ...are you saying that all those housing developments in CA where a house sells for $300-400K, that $50K was spent on each one on the stuff listed above? Or that this is only when a lone ranger goes out on his own and tries to build a custom home?

That is the cost upfront to build a custom home. Tract developments get a big discount but they have the costs of putting the infrastructure in

4 hours ago, georgemandm said:

Her you go again 4myego trying to tell people how  expensive Sydney is but you forget to tell people here how much you get when you sell that home in Sydney .

you try and sell that home in thailand no hop of selling it and getting your money back , try sell the one in Sydney you know it will sell and who knows how much millions.

last time you told me your food bill was $1,000 now you say $1,200 get it right.

$400 a month on utilities are you joking what do you have on all the time to use so much more like $200 .

you love to bag Australia to make  excuses for you coming to thailand and you know and I know you are not telling the truth as I have told you before you are in thailand because you was lucky to have worked  hard and made you money in Australia to live in thailand and you can go on and on like you do but that is the truth and sometimes the truth  hurts .

Thailand is not what it was , I agree it is cheaper then Australia but not much cheaper now .

I not care what it cost me to live in Australia or thailand it is what it is I just want to enjoy my life .

I have the money to enjoy Australia and thailand because of my hard work and no government hand out .

i say it as I see it no bulls??? But lots on here try and make  excuses for being in thailand like the prices and that is not the truth most come here because of there thai lady . 

Not to  visit temples .

tell me would you be in thailand to day if you did not have your thai lady ? .

You have to admit, sometimes these comparisons are rather funny.  My old house "beach front in Malibu" would have cost this much ....but now I live on the moon and it only cost this much ...so much cheaper!!

I definitely think that 'someone' is burning 'something' in the garden next door to 'someone' ..... after having come back to this topic as it's raining and I'm a little bored ... and the wife is out shopping ... :smile:

2 hours ago, ardokano said:

I do not have passport Uk

Do you have Thailand Passport for compare similar?

The man does make some good points like this.  And regarding cinema tickets being cheaper, but there are hardly ever any good movies to see.  Touche.

The other main one being that we all just abstain from using all the expensive things that we would use if we lived in the UK/US.  We all know we do this.  For me, I particularly miss being able to drive the same level of autos that I used to.

I do know the cost difference of cherries, because I do eat those.  The price varies in the US, but generally the price is 1/4 to 1/3 of the Thai price. 

I think the big difference is your choice of standard of living, if you choose the low end you can live here for very cheap, the more you move this standard up the less you save until you cross the line into paying more. I think paying more would require near luxury life stye. I am only speaking of retired life here, if you are working here for common Thai wages all bets are off. Medical could play a big factor too. You can eat healthy here on 100 baht per day if you want. Rent for 4,000 baht, Good TV for 2,000 baht,  Scooter 35.000 baht, Labor for anything equal is ten times less here,  Most Thai made materials are much less. I could not afford a house keeper or gardener back home so that is a no brainer cheaper here. I do many two day golf trips here, while the golf costs the same or more here the hotels easily make up for that. I think those who go back will find they are not going to live as well there and will be spending more money while taking care of your own day to day work.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

Did I say you are full of bs no I did not you said to your self not me .

Boy you make me laugh 55555555

you are just not with are you , you have no idea I think .

you trying to make your self happy in the land of smiles .

yes hop to be home very soon and I have a home to go to not like you .

you have no hop of selling or your home In thailand not worth much in the village like 50,000  thai bht I would say .

yes things go up but the money you get in Australia  justifies it .

for someone who goes on about Australia all the time how bad it is , you seem to NO a lot of what go's on back in Australia.

your not my mate get it .

not me who has the chip on my shoulder it is you who has the chip on your shoulder going on about how bad Australia is to make your self feel good about coming to thailand.

my point is you are here because of Australia get it .

not need to  join the army .

you are not a happy man I can see it in your  replys . 

You go on about the  Aborigines all the time what have they got to do with it .

if you are talking about all those utilities ok I agree  , but you make good money to pay for them not like Thais who make s??? Money here and cost them s??? Loads to live , not look at you who gets his money from Australia to   Survive In thailand,

if you think thailand so go , get all your money out of Australia and  invested in your new great county thailand.

no you would not do that but you bag Australia all the time .

You know, I come onto this forum to read people's posts, experiences, learn, offer my version to questions asked if I can, read positive and not so positive comments/replies, it breaks my day up and keeps me in the loop.

What I cannot stand is a person who keeps trying to convince me otherwise of me loving my new lease on life here in Thailand, please stop it, I didn't come here to have to listen to you trying to tell me otherwise.

You go on and keep telling me that I bag Australia, "the lucky country" that it once was, now "the land of slavery", as an Australian citizen, I have as much right as any Australian citizen, when I am referring to an Australian citizen, I am referring to a person that was born their, not someone who mumbled a few words to get their citizenship to go on and fleece the once great country it once was, so if anyone can bag her, I can and will until it is no longer a free country.

Australia treats its citizens like crap, just have a look at how she treats its expats, leave Australia for more than 183 days and you will have to jump through hoola hoops to defend your right to remain an Australian citizen under their unfair diagnoses that the ATO applies, e.g. every citizen of Australia should have the right to chose how long they have to live outside of Australia without having to be considered to be a non resident, a citizen is a citizen and can return to Australia whenever they chose, but if you own property in Australia, you will, don't want to be flogging a dead horse, but you will pay full capital gains tax from the day you departed, and pay 32.5c in the $, where is the fairness in that georgem&m, lose your right to vote, lose your Medicare entitlements, where is the fairness in that, no entitlement to the old age pension although you worked for 40 years and paid your taxes along the way, where is the fairness in that, and you tell me not to bag the country that helped me get here, well let's not forget she also ripped me off by not allowing me to keep my property unless I was willing to forgo all the gains I was going to make in the future and pay tax with no threshold that all Australian citizens are entitled too, where is the fairness in that, the country I am bagging has two systems, one for those who work and remain in Australia, and one for those who opt for a better life outside Australia, I bet you if Australia went to war tomorrow, they would be looking for their Xpats

How can one not bag Australia for the unjust legislation that it inflicts towards its Xpats, you sit on your high horse and say you couldn't live in Thailand, you have tried it, its not for you, but underneath the facade, I know your using it as an excuse, living in Thailand for 6 months of the year and Australia for 6 months of the year so that you get the best of both worlds, but you constantly bag Thailand, its a 3rd world country, yep that suites you, well 3rd 4th 5th world, it suites me, the cost of living is cheaper, the lifestyle is far better than Australia, and I am freer than I have ever been in my life, what more do you want me to say, but you already know that georgem&m and no matter what I say, you will remain absolute in maintaining your hidden agenda because you can't take it on the chin like me, afraid to speak up of the truth, we all know you will be going for the old age pension, not a chance in the world you would let that pass you, probably transferred the properties to your daughters already, e.g. 5 years before the old age pension due date, like most of the Greeks and the rest have done.

Fact of the matter gerogem&m I can read too, and see how you also try and convince others on this forum that they are not happy living here, just leave us all alone, we are HAPPY and don't need YOU to try to convince us otherwise, it is YOU that is unhappy because YOU cannot be here full time like us, otherwise you will pay taxes as a foreign resident and full capital gains tax on your many properties that you probably inherited 555

Australia has nothing to offer me, I am one of the lucky slaves that managed to do his time and now has a free pass and until Thailand (my new abode) throws me out, I will remain here a happy chappy, and when she asks me to leave, I won't be returning to Australia.

51 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

You know, I come onto this forum to read people's posts, experiences, learn, offer my version to questions asked if I can, read positive and not so positive comments/replies, it breaks my day up and keeps me in the loop.

What I cannot stand is a person who keeps trying to convince me otherwise of me loving my new lease on life here in Thailand, please stop it, I didn't come here to have to listen to you trying to tell me otherwise.

You go on and keep telling me that I bag Australia, "the lucky country" that it once was, now "the land of slavery", as an Australian citizen, I have as much right as any Australian citizen, when I am referring to an Australian citizen, I am referring to a person that was born their, not someone who mumbled a few words to get their citizenship to go on and fleece the once great country it once was, so if anyone can bag her, I can and will until it is no longer a free country.

Australia treats its citizens like crap, just have a look at how she treats its expats, leave Australia for more than 183 days and you will have to jump through hoola hoops to defend your right to remain an Australian citizen under their unfair diagnoses that the ATO applies, e.g. every citizen of Australia should have the right to chose how long they have to live outside of Australia without having to be considered to be a non resident, a citizen is a citizen and can return to Australia whenever they chose, but if you own property in Australia, you will, don't want to be flogging a dead horse, but you will pay full capital gains tax from the day you departed, and pay 32.5c in the $, where is the fairness in that georgem&m, lose your right to vote, lose your Medicare entitlements, where is the fairness in that, no entitlement to the old age pension although you worked for 40 years and paid your taxes along the way, where is the fairness in that, and you tell me not to bag the country that helped me get here, well let's not forget she also ripped me off by not allowing me to keep my property unless I was willing to forgo all the gains I was going to make in the future and pay tax with no threshold that all Australian citizens are entitled too, where is the fairness in that, the country I am bagging has two systems, one for those who work and remain in Australia, and one for those who opt for a better life outside Australia, I bet you if Australia went to war tomorrow, they would be looking for their Xpats

How can one not bag Australia for the unjust legislation that it inflicts towards its Xpats, you sit on your high horse and say you couldn't live in Thailand, you have tried it, its not for you, but underneath the facade, I know your using it as an excuse, living in Thailand for 6 months of the year and Australia for 6 months of the year so that you get the best of both worlds, but you constantly bag Thailand, its a 3rd world country, yep that suites you, well 3rd 4th 5th world, it suites me, the cost of living is cheaper, the lifestyle is far better than Australia, and I am freer than I have ever been in my life, what more do you want me to say, but you already know that georgem&m and no matter what I say, you will remain absolute in maintaining your hidden agenda because you can't take it on the chin like me, afraid to speak up of the truth, we all know you will be going for the old age pension, not a chance in the world you would let that pass you, probably transferred the properties to your daughters already, e.g. 5 years before the old age pension due date, like most of the Greeks and the rest have done.

Fact of the matter gerogem&m I can read too, and see how you also try and convince others on this forum that they are not happy living here, just leave us all alone, we are HAPPY and don't need YOU to try to convince us otherwise, it is YOU that is unhappy because YOU cannot be here full time like us, otherwise you will pay taxes as a foreign resident and full capital gains tax on your many properties that you probably inherited 555

Australia has nothing to offer me, I am one of the lucky slaves that managed to do his time and now has a free pass and until Thailand (my new abode) throws me out, I will remain here a happy chappy, and when she asks me to leave, I won't be returning to Australia.

You no you make me laugh so much I am falling off the  couch .

not sure were you get your  information from my friend has live here for 7 years and is still a  resident of Australia .

and he has his home back home not like you who sold it .

i not care what you do you don't understand it do you . You get on here and go on and on and on about how bad Australia is and that is not true. 

You want to live here up to you I not give one s??? I have never tried to change you ok .

i can't sand people like you 4myego who bags Australia because you move to thailand and are not happy.

you not know one thing about me because I not get on here like you and tell my hole life story like you have I know everything about you because you tell everyone you life story how stupid is that .

so seeing you love your new life here be a man and get all your money out of the country you bag Australia and put it in the  Lucky country thailand.

and I know and you know it will not happen.

we not want people like you back in Australia stay here and be unhappy like you are .

you see you get on here are say things about people that you have no idea about like me but I know about you .

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

You no you make me laugh so much I am falling off the  couch .

not sure were you get your  information from my friend has live here for 7 years and is still a  resident of Australia .

and he has his home back home not like you who sold it .

i not care what you do you don't understand it do you . You get on here and go on and on and on about how bad Australia is and that is not true. 

You want to live here up to you I not give one s??? I have never tried to change you ok .

i can't sand people like you 4myego who bags Australia because you move to thailand and are not happy.

you not know one thing about me because I not get on here like you and tell my hole life story like you have I know everything about you because you tell everyone you life story how stupid is that .

so seeing you love your new life here be a man and get all your money out of the country you bag Australia and put it in the  Lucky country thailand.

and I know and you know it will not happen.

we not want people like you back in Australia stay here and be unhappy like you are .

you see you get on here are say things about people that you have no idea about like me but I know about you .

I give up !!!

4 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I give up !!!

Ok good just stop putting my great county Australia down and I will give up on you or anyone who gets on here who bags my country .

you see not care what you do up to you as Thais will say but when it comes to my great county I will  defend it .

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Ok good just stop putting my great county Australia down and I will give up on you or anyone who gets on here who bags my country .

you see not care what you do up to you as Thais will say but when it comes to my great county I will  defend it .

Spoken like a real trooper 555

5 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Great country or not......Australia like the UK is MORE expensive than Thailand....that is what this thread is about ....Not your personal vendetta to defend your country

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

Spoken like a real trooper 555

No had the ex Greek brother Inlaw 30 years ago always putting Australia down all the time , told him to  go back home to Greece no no not go back but stayed here and got all the hand outs for his son who had a  disability 

he ues to love putting Australia down .

but because of the way we help kids out with  disabilities that kids now a man has a good life .

10 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

I feel for  you 4myego but just block him it's the easiest way to ignore him.  

I would however dispute his assumption that Australia is a great country 5555 rose colored specs. he's just a lonely sad old man in the end. 

3 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

No had the ex Greek brother Inlaw 30 years ago always putting Australia down all the time , told him to  go back home to Greece no no not go back but stayed here and got all the hand outs for his son who had a  disability 

he ues to love putting Australia down .

but because of the way we help kids out with  disabilities that kids now a man has a good life .

I can't help you georgemandm, you don't see the big picture, each to their own, enjoy your 50/50 lifestyle and loving Australia

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

I would however dispute his assumption that Australia is a great country 5555 rose colored specs. he's just a lonely sad old man in the end. 

Do I have that option, please guide me to it and I will execute it as quick as I can break wind 555

1 minute ago, beachproperty said:

Great country or not......Australia like the UK is MORE expensive than Thailand....that is what this thread is about ....Not your personal vendetta to defend your country

Ok I agree but it got off the track like lots of threads do here ok and I was  comparing prices with Australia ok .

and yes Australia is a little bit more  expensive then thailand but not much more get it .

7 years ago I would agree with you but now no way this place thailand is getting more and more  expensive and if the thai bht gose up and up and the  Dollar and the Pound Go down then you will see I can see it happen in the future.

3 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Ok I agree but it got off the track like lots of threads do here ok and I was  comparing prices with Australia ok .

and yes Australia is a little bit more  expensive then thailand but not much more get it .

7 years ago I would agree with you but now no way this place thailand is getting more and more  expensive and if the thai bht gose up and up and the  Dollar and the Pound Go down then you will see I can see it happen in the future.

Does that mean you will stay in Australia ?

5 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

55555 you are joking are you 

if I am a lonely old man then I got to my age you have to get to old age and it is very hard .

i am far from being lonely that is for sure because anyone who comes to thailand is never lonely are they .

11 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

OMG, it was right under my nose, done and dusted, many thanks mate

9 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Sorry, mate, but Numbeo.com says that Australia is WAY more expensive than Thailand

"You would need around 3,653.21A$ (97,735.07฿) in Bangkok to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with 7,300.00A$ in Sydney (assuming you rent in both cities). This calculation uses our Cost of Living Plus Rent Index to compare cost of living. This assumes net earnings (after income tax). You can change the amount in this calculation.
Indices Difference Info
Consumer Prices in Bangkok are 41.94% lower than in Sydney
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Bangkok are 49.96% lower than in Sydney
Rent Prices in Bangkok are 61.74% lower than in Sydney
Restaurant Prices in Bangkok are 65.53% lower than in Sydney
Groceries Prices in Bangkok are 29.56% lower than in Sydney
Local Purchasing Power in Bangkok is 57.50% lower than in Sydney"

Archived