BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

snoop1130

Officials silent on Phuket Airport immigration mess

Officials silent on Phuket Airport immigration mess

The Phuket News

1477651051_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- Officials at Phuket International Airport have fallen silent on why long immigration queues persist at the island’s key tourism portal, frustrating tourists by taking hours for them to clear entry to the country.

The long delays continue despite promises by Transport Minister Lt Gen Arkhom Termpittayapaisith last month that more officers had been assigned to bolster immigration at Phuket Airport to reduce long queues of tourists waiting to enter and leave the country.

First-hand reports provided to The Phuket News over the past two weeks have detailed how travellers were forced to wait hours to be cleared by immigration officers.

“I picked some friends up on Wednesday night (Oct 19) and their flight landed at 11:16pm from Korea and I was still waiting for them at 12:40am,” one expat told The Phuket News.

“They said only three desks were open and 300 passengers had arrived on a 777 – and they had only three staff to get them through immigration! It’s crazy! They know what passengers and planes are arriving so why not more staff?” he mused.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/officials-silent-on-phuket-airport-immigration-mess-59631.php#8YcbJzyhVjaJpbd3.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-28

No different to swampy. Thai customs is probably the worst i've ever passed through. 

4 hours ago, Redvic said:

No different to swampy. Thai customs is probably the worst i've ever passed through. 

It's very different to Swampy. And it's immigration that's causing the hold ups, not customs.

Even the Arabs have got smartcards and E-gates now, when will these muppets learn useful things from overseas rather than rubbish like "farang SIMs"?

I would think the Minister of Tourism's likely to claim Immigration was swamped because there's just so many tourists arriving.

1 hour ago, NongKhaiKid said:

I would think the Minister of Tourism's likely to claim Immigration was swamped because there's just so many tourists arriving.

555... Brilliantl! 

So they have a new terminal, but no one that can make a schedule for immigration staff  that matches arrival and departure's.

Not even high tech , just need some one that can make proper planing . And this is the real problem. No one can :clap2:

what happen to the fast lane, that was the best thing ever happen.

APEC Business Traveller card is a godsend.  Go through VIP / diplomatic queue.  Usually empty.

So it taking about an hour at Phuket. Compare the equivalent at Chiangi, Singapore I have cleared immigration many times on average in 3 minutes with a smile and free mouth freshening lozenge.  Why the difference, same process?

12 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

So it taking about an hour at Phuket. Compare the equivalent at Chiangi, Singapore I have cleared immigration many times on average in 3 minutes with a smile and free mouth freshening lozenge.  Why the difference, same process?

Agreed, I've cleared immigration and customs in Singapore from the plane to the taxi rank in 15 minutes. The last time I arrived international at HKT immigration took almost as long as the flight itself (from Singapore). In fairness to Thailand, KL is just as bad.

Stood myself in the line.

50 % of the counters not open, others open with untrained and very slow staff.

TiT

12 hours ago, Redvic said:

Try Beijing

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

last month that more officers had been assigned to bolster immigration at Phuket Airport

...and on arrival the two two guys were given boxes with the questionnaires that come with the 90 day report to check for correct answers.

12 hours ago, Redvic said:

I arrived at 8PM at swampy 2 weeks ago. I was third person in the queue and got my bag and out of there in less than 30 mins after touching down