Hospital delivers baby but leaves the head inside - then doctor sends the mother to another hospital without saying a word

rooster59

Hospital delivers baby but leaves the head inside - then doctor sends the mother to another hospital without saying a word

baby.PNG
Image: Daily News

A shocking story of alleged medical malpractice is coming out of a hospital in the southern Thai town of Pattalung.

A 17 year old woman - named only as Poo - went in to have a baby at a hospital that was not named. 

The relatives waited nervously outside the delivery room for a long time. Eventually they were told to take the expectant mother to another hospital.

No explanation was given by the duty doctor.

The family took her to another hospital where a suction machine was used. The doctor there discovered that only the head of the baby was in the mothers womb. Pictures were taken of the head of the infant.

The body was missing.

Shocked relatives went back to the original hospital to retrieve the torso.

Later it emerged that the duty doctor at the original hospital had pulled the baby out but had decapitated it in the process.

But then he said nothing to the relatives as they were sent elsewhere.

Daily News further discovered that following the delivery on Wednesday a public health official had offered the family 400,000 baht in compensation.

The elder sister of the mother posted pictures of the head of the baby on Facebook along with a message saying that they were absolutely shocked.

No way would they accept compensation without the hospital and doctor accepting responsibility.

The sister said that people went online to say that she was a liar and threats were made to her. She told daily News: "Who in hell would lie about such a thing?"

Relatives of the mother, who is currently recovering from the ordeal in the second hospital, that also was not named, have gone to the government's Damrongtham watchdog group to seek justice.

Meanwhile the local health chief Dr Thanit Sermkaek ordered an investigation into the matter as the hospital said such a thing had never happened before.

Daily News further reported that the doctor who allegedly decapitated the baby had gone on leave.

Relatives said that the baby had been described as normal and viable before the mother went into labor.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-29

Baby loses its head and the doctor and the hospital are more concerned about losing face.  This is the way Thailand culture is and they are exceedingly proud about it irregardless of whatever we think.  The doctor should be blacklisted and struck off, not just for the mistake of decapitating the baby but for their own sheer arrogance and shameful neglect to take any responsibility for their actions.

JAF 

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFarang said:

It might come over as a whimsical pun but it was not intended that way.  It's simply stating the horrific facts of this case.  

JAF

You don't need to sign every post "JAF". This is a web forum, not an email client. Welcome to the internet. Glad I could help you. :sleep:

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

The words suction machine were used.  Eh?  I am familiar with trouble child births, rotating the shoulders, etc.  but what is this suction machine, unless they were using abortive devices? 

I forget the technical name for it, but there is a device that uses suction to deliver a healthy baby when the mother is having a bit of trouble pushing. It is designed to avoid the need for forceps and the associated trauma they can produce. 

This machine is different to one used in terminations (abortions).

Just now, Skipperau said:

I forget the technical name for it, but there is a device that uses suction to deliver a healthy baby when the mother is having a bit of trouble pushing. It is designed to avoid the need for forceps and the associated trauma they can produce. 

This machine is different to one used in terminations (abortions).

OK.  that makes sense.  I never thought the forceps were a good idea

In all of this, I am amazed that nobody has commented on either why or how the head was removed from the body of the unfortunate baby.

QUOTE: "The doctor pulled the baby out but had decapitated it in the process."
He PULLED it out.

Bone, muscle, cartilage, tendons, skin - just how much force does it take to do this - try pulling the head off a chicken. The story is nonsense. The only way to do it is to cut the body away.

And why would he have done that?

1 hour ago, TheFishman1 said:

Well when I thought I've heard it all this is a new TIT

Just when you thought that ANY news coming out of Thailand couldn't get any worse, then this pops up!

What did the nurses say...."Oooops!" Jeeesus H Chriiiiist! I'm glad I'm a man in this country! :post-4641-1156693976::sorry::sad::wai:

2 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

This is not believable.

And the most not believable part is the Doctor failed to mention this to the Mother, let alone the relatives.

The world is full not believable things. Take all the religions.

But you speculate. Imagine what this could do with the relatives and mother.

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

It was obviously a breached birth which they must have known before actual birth.  In most cases the doc would perform a cesarean which would cut the risks.

Which leads me to presume that the duty doctor at the first hospital was rather less than a doctor or at least not fully competent at delivering babies & was out-of-his-depth during the delivery.

If the doc couldn't turn the baby then they should have opted for a C-section to lesson the risks to mother or baby.

If the doc managed to decapitate the baby by means of pulling then god knows what damage could have happened to the baby prior to death or to mother as a result!!

Why on earth didn't they seek help from a qualified doctor or hospital!!!

No wonder the doctor has gone on leave.... permanently I hope!!!!

14 minutes ago, chilli42 said:

50% of medical professionals graduate in the bottom half of their class

Perhaps that 50% should not graduate.

Horrific tale this. A breech birth would normally be delivered by caesarean.

Archived