Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

EyWwB5WU57MYnKOurCh4JvegoPaFmfUMg9SbWbdMjbZnDGYvxURrwu.jpg
Image: Thairath

BANGKOK:-- Eight backpackers were arrested for smoking ganja in Bangkok yesterday - they were all rounded up at a guest house named "Overstay".

A joint operation was mounted between soldiers and Bowonmonkhol station police after complaints of noise and smoke wafting from the Charoen Sanitwong premises.

The task force found 20 foreigners in the 15 room facility - they were both men and women from the UK, Germany, Hungary, Russia, Spain, Israel and China.

All were given a urine test for drugs and eight of these - seven men and one woman - registered a purple result indicating marijuana use.

The Israeli - Ewal Chawot, 32 - was found in possession of 22.64 grams of the drug.

The seven caught with the drug in their system were charged at the local police station while the Israeli faces possession with intent to distribute as well.

Police are now looking for the owner of "Overstay" to determine if they knew what was going on at the premises.

Source: Thairath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-29

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A few years in a Thai jail should sort thrm out

I had to decide whether you were being sarcastic or serious. If serious, it's definitely more important to clear all these recreational weed users out than to round up the yaba distributors and other hundreds of criminals doing business in Thailand.:wink:

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

Trouble is the taxpayer will have to pay.

Deport them, with a "not allowed back in" stamp in their passport

A few years in jail is what's needed here. I remember sitting next to some guys smoking weed and it was terrifying. They were just sat there not saying much. Then they started laughing for no reason. To make things worse they ordered loads of food and ate it all. 

Luckily they just left and went home. I was very lucky. I could have been killed by these gateway addicts. 

27 minutes ago, JAG said:

They must have been on a special course - nobody could surely be stupid enought to have a pot smoking party, in a guesthouse called "Overstay", in Bangkok in the current climate?

Yeah, "in the current climate", the name of the guesthouse really sealed their fate, didn't it?

How out of touch with reality can you be?

2 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

A lot of self-righteous claptrap being trotted out here.

Smoking a bit of puff doesn't make you a drug addict any more than having a pint makes you an alcoholic.

Out-of-touch old men flapping their mouths as usual.

True. And funnily the obligatory advert below this op showed an old unnaturally muscled man with young babe in his arms. Your typical tvf poster i reckon. 555

3 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Smoking a bit of puff doesn't make you a drug addict any more than having a pint makes you an alcoholic.

Try to reason your way out...especially in any Asean countries.

They don't think like the West...Puff the Magic Dragon!

Just now, trogers said:

Try to reason your way out...especially in any Asean countries.

They don't think like the West...Puff the Magic Dragon!

For sure they were stupid to take the risk of smoking weed in Thailand given the harsh penalties for doing so but that's a no-brainer.

I took issue with your comment where you suggested they be branded "drug addicts".

5 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

But it is illegal here and that is the only real point.

Some other countries have made it legal so surely it makes sense to do it there if you want to do it.

Whether it should be legal or not in Thailand is for Thailand to decide.

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

For sure they were stupid to take the risk of smoking weed in Thailand given the harsh penalties for doing so but that's a no-brainer.

I took issue with your comment where you suggested they be branded "drug addicts".

That's how Asean countries would perceive them.

What is a full moon party without drugs? The same the West would perceive a bible study session without the Bible...

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Some other countries have made it legal so surely it makes sense to do it there if you want to do it.

It's illegal here?? Really?? I had no idea.

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Thing is though it's not. 

It's the same as in the States. Big pharma companies make sure weed is kept illegal and keep on at the FBI to go after weed sellers in states where it's legal. 

Ask most people who think weed is bad why? Most don't know. All they know is it's bad. 

Hell, murder is illegal here, yet the fortunate minority seem to get away with it. 

17 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Thing is though it's not. 

It's the same as in the States. Big pharma companies make sure weed is kept illegal and keep on at the FBI to go after weed sellers in states where it's legal. 

I know, dreadful isn't. UK does similar where the police prosecute you for speeding when everyone knows it usually safe to drive down the high street at 95mph.

Ask most people who think weed is bad why? Most don't know. All they know is it's bad. 

Hell, murder is illegal here, yet the fortunate minority seem to get away with it. 

If I'm ever in trouble here please don't offer your services as defence lawyer.

( comment further up as well)

42 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Ironically, the "out of touch" people are the ones mentioned in the article. 

Archived