Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

I had to decide whether you were being sarcastic or serious. If serious, it's definitely more important to clear all these recreational weed users out than to round up the yaba distributors and other hundreds of criminals doing business in Thailand.:wink:

I had to decide if you were being serious or sarcastic. 

If serious, do you seriously think that while investigations into this incident were being made all other investigations were put on hold?  The RTP do have enough personnel to undertake multiple investigations concurrently, you know.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

So the guy from Isreal will be charged with possession of 23 grams of pot and will probably get a 50 year sentence, but the Thai scumbag that raped the American gets his sentence reduced from 10 to 5 years two months after his sentencing.

He is not going to serve 50 years is he.

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

A few years in jail is what's needed here. I remember sitting next to some guys smoking weed and it was terrifying. They were just sat there not saying much. Then they started laughing for no reason. To make things worse they ordered loads of food and ate it all. 

Luckily they just left and went home. I was very lucky. I could have been killed by these gateway addicts. 

"Could have killed?" Are you on drugs too? Why do you think that?

It's illegal here , so why gamble ? They were addicted to it, just like I am addicted to a cup of coffee in the morning. My coffee is legal here or else I would have moved out of Thailand. 

Try Cambodia if you want to smoke pot.

55 minutes ago, ldiablo72 said:

So the guy from Isreal will be charged with possession of 23 grams of pot and will probably get a 50 year sentence, but the Thai scumbag that raped the American gets his sentence reduced from 10 to 5 years two months after his sentencing.

He won't go to jail for such a long time just for a few grams of pot. Philippines
In the Philippines, you don’t get much leeway either. The first time you’re caught smoking a joint you can be sent to rehab for at least six months. If you are persistent enough to try again, the next time could land you in jail for between six and twelve years. If you get caught growing weed, you’re looking at anything from life imprisonment to the death penalty. The Philippine Dangerous Drugs Act will make your life a living hell. One man was jailed for 15 years after being caught with two “sticks” (assumedly meaning joints) of marijuana.

4 minutes ago, chrissables said:

"Could have killed?" Are you on drugs too? Why do you think that?

I've never seen such an insane post on TVF before. The guy must be on Tatura, or Peyotl. 

6 minutes ago, lostinisaan said:

He won't go to jail for such a long time just for a few grams of pot. Philippines
In the Philippines, you don’t get much leeway either. The first time you’re caught smoking a joint you can be sent to rehab for at least six months. If you are persistent enough to try again, the next time could land you in jail for between six and twelve years. If you get caught growing weed, you’re looking at anything from life imprisonment to the death penalty. The Philippine Dangerous Drugs Act will make your life a living hell. One man was jailed for 15 years after being caught with two “sticks” (assumedly meaning joints) of marijuana.

I've never seen such an insane post on TVF before. The guy must be on Tatura, or Peyotl. 

Serious lessons needed for some who don't know what 'tongue in cheek means'

3 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

Illegality carries weight? You mean like prostitution and rules of the road here?

No, some laws are upheld more vigorously than others .

Just because some laws are not upheld vigorously, that doesnt mean that they all are

Confucius he say ; 

"the more conventional one looks, the more unconventional behavior one can achieve"

This kind of rules out a mixture of back packers, overstay hostels and ganga; even for the young, free and stupid.

I wonder if the Israeli blokes supplier has a new tv this week. 

So everyone in the hostel was drug tested.

Some may have arrived from a country where marijuana was legal, and never consumed anything in the Kingdom, but they still get arrested.

Canada is legalizing marijuana next year and I would hope the Canadian government puts out a travel advisory warning those who smoke marijuana legally in Canada, not to come to Thailand as marijuana traces in urine can be detected for 30 days.

2 minutes ago, hohososo said:

So everyone in the hostel was drug tested.

Some may have arrived from a country where marijuana was legal, and never consumed anything in the Kingdom, but they still get arrested.

Canada is legalizing marijuana next year and I would hope the Canadian government puts out a travel advisory warning those who smoke marijuana legally in Canada, not to come to Thailand as marijuana traces in urine can be detected for 30 days.

A hundred years went by and humanity forgets history.

Go read up on The Opium War...

11 minutes ago, trogers said:

A hundred years went by and humanity forgets history.

Go read up on The Opium War...

Friend of mine lost his north sea job under the similar circumstances.

Holiday out here from UK had a smoke, one he claimed, and got nicked for a check during medical renewal.

3 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

For sure they were stupid to take the risk of smoking weed in Thailand given the harsh penalties for doing so but that's a no-brainer.

I took issue with your comment where you suggested they be branded "drug addicts".

What harsh penalties?

4 hours ago, JAG said:

They must have been on a special course - nobody could surely be stupid enought to have a pot smoking party, in a guesthouse called "Overstay", in Bangkok in the current climate?

They must have been absolutely incredible stoners.

The fact that they were smoking pot is not the big issue.

Most people these days agree that smoking pot is pretty harmless.

The issue is that they are stupid and disrespectful enough to smoke pot in a country that still considers it a serious crime and can be pretty harsh about enforcing the laws.

You can not fix stupid, but you can lock it up and keep it off of the streets.

What harsh penalties?

One year in jail and or 100,000 max fine is what they are looking at.

Since it has hit media, now police, military and judges need to be paid, it will be expensive.

Very different than one cop who catches you smoking as that generally costs only 30,000.

2 minutes ago, hohososo said:

One year in jail and or 100,000 max fine is what they are looking at.

Since it has hit media, now police, military and judges need to be paid, it will be expensive.

Very different than one cop who catches you smoking as that generally costs only 30,000.

Rubbish,2000 baht max.

You jest.A small fine is all the smokers will get.The dealer should start making deals.

Wrong.

If this proceeds through the courts which is likely due to the media coverage, their passports will be seized and 3 or 4 court appearances over the next 3 months will be required.

Police, military did the raid.. lots of people involved since they were booked at police station.

$5000 US would be my guess as to the costs for each person to fix this problem.

4 hours ago, trogers said:

With a big stamp on their passports - DRUG ADDICT!

...how many foreigners in Thailand are DRUG ADDICTS? They are addicted to alcohol, which is by far more dangerous than smoking weed. Give them a stamp in their passport, great idea.

Archived