Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, hohososo said:

One year in jail and or 100,000 max fine is what they are looking at.

Since it has hit media, now police, military and judges need to be paid, it will be expensive.

Very different than one cop who catches you smoking as that generally costs only 30,000.

Extremely bad timing on their part.

They will be very lucky if they only get hit with the usual penalties 

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

But it is illegal here and that is the only real point.

Some other countries have made it legal so surely it makes sense to do it there if you want to do it.

Whether it should be legal or not in Thailand is for Thailand to decide.

Oh, well that's sure to happen isn't it?

Military junta decides to give Thai populace free choice in plebicite on legalising marijuana.

I can just see the pigs flapping their wings now.

On 2016-10-29 at 4:50 PM, fxe1200 said:

...how many foreigners in Thailand are DRUG ADDICTS? They are addicted to alcohol, which is by far more dangerous than smoking weed. Give them a stamp in their passport, great idea.

Alcohol is legal in Thailand and most other countries while weed is still illegal in most countries so do the math.

Anyone that use/smuggle any drugs in a country that has death penalty as the highest penalty for drug charges should be locked up for their own safety as they clearly don't have the mental capacity... or just let them continue on and in the end get a Darwin award.  

Alcohol is legal in Thailand and most other countries while weed is still illegal in most countries so do the math.
Anyone that use/smuggle any drugs in a country that has death penalty as the highest penalty for drug charges should be locked up for their own safety as they clearly don't have the mental capacity... or just let them continue on and in the end get a Darwin award.  

The big issue is that if a tourist had a stop over in amsterdam and consumed marijuana then traveled here, they would still be arrested even if they neither consumed or possessed anything in the Kingdom.

for what?smoking some dope!555

u,sir,are an idiot 555

Maybe but I'm not suggesting they be jailed am I?

They were caught in a high profile raid - so the system will take action against them. I don't use the stuff and don't really have a view on whether or not it should be illegal. But it is illegal, and they were caught. Under the circumstances deportation would be by far the best result for them. Otherwise a long expensive trial process looms.

Now that would be idiotic.

48 minutes ago, willyumiii said:

The fact that they were smoking pot is not the big issue.

Most people these days agree that smoking pot is pretty harmless.

The issue is that they are stupid and disrespectful enough to smoke pot in a country that still considers it a serious crime and can be pretty harsh about enforcing the laws.

You can not fix stupid, but you can lock it up and keep it off of the streets.

Well then, I guess rounding up everyone between 18-25 esp if they are backpackers should solve the problem...

WHY ???

Pretty sure after this experience they will have zero desire to return here. Nor will the 1000+ of their combined facebook friends once they hear this story. Nor will the millions of legal medicinal marijuana users around the world want to visit here once they realize that traces of marijuana in their system is a crime here even though no drugs were consumed in the Kingdom.

5 hours ago, overherebc said:

But it is illegal here and that is the only real point.

Some other countries have made it legal so surely it makes sense to do it there if you want to do it.

Whether it should be legal or not in Thailand is for Thailand to decide.

Surely that is not the "only" real point, is it?  Countries make laws.  No one questions that.  However, whether a law is fair, rational, useful, helpful, accomplishes anything, protects or oppresses citizens is a valid discussion. If falang are not allow to discuss it, then shut down TV.  However, maybe the period of mourning is not the wisest time to discuss it.

5 hours ago, JAG said:

They mrequiredeen on a special course - nobody could surely be stupid enought to have a pot smoking party, in a guesthouse called "Overstay", in Bangkok in the current climate?

Why It's bad Is Irrelevant...It's Illegal.  No further discussion requirwd.  Use dope In Thailand at your peril.

Another 'big pharma' (how I hate that cliche!!) conspiracy theory.

Unable to edit typos and the quote above Is not the one I wanted.  Nothing but problems posting from my 'phone since the TV upgrade.

You commit the crime, you do the time!!!!  if you feel the laws are bad, get a good lawyer!!!!!  easy....

If you didn't know it was a crime, you are really stupid and being locked up is good.....

Go cry to the judge about the benefits of pot........good luck!!!!!  i'm sure you will freed and given money!!!!!

oh, you get 237492840732847234 years.......i will cry at night for you... lol

2 minutes ago, performance said:

A bored Army. why have you not rounded up the cocaine dealers in NANA. To hard not smart enough.

Thatin Nanawas done a few weeks

Disregard above, can't edit

That was done a few weeks 

ago and the authorities were condemned right here on TV for doing so, targeting blacks (who else spends time In Nana), go after Thais, not just foreigners, etc.

Do the Thai police have an urine test kit with instant results for marijuana? I thought the urine test was for amphetamines.

Perhaps the press report is full of made-up details as usual.

They do test for marijuana.

Very few farangs are on meth here. A large percentage of backpackers have marijuana in their system as it is present in their urine for 30 - 45 days after consumed.

When Thais get tested, it is for meth which stays in your system for 3 days as that is the drug of choice here.

They also have a cocaine test which they tend to use with nigerians.

It could go very badly for them,if the authorities decide that in this time of mourning,these ferangs blatantly ignored the feelings of the people. It could be considered les Mageste,complete disregard for the mourning period.It could be seen that they were partying,and taking drugs is a serious insult.

As they are ferangs,they will get the shit end of the stick over this.

"Felangs must learn lesson in our country"

18 minutes ago, arend said:

Well then, I guess rounding up everyone between 18-25 esp if they are backpackers should solve the problem...

18 minutes ago, arend said:

If they are dumb enough to travel to foreign countries and blatantly break the laws and expect to get away with it, yes, It may solve the problem.

Thailand is known worldwide for having very strict drug laws. " I didn't know" is no excuse.

Keep in mind, all 18-24-year-olds are not this stupid, and some much older than that are.

It has little to do with age, but a lot to do with maturity and attitude.

If they are dumb enough to travel to foreign countries and blatantly break the laws and expect to get away with it, yes, It may solve the problem.

Thailand is known worldwide for having very strict drug laws. " I didn't know" is no excuse.

Keep in mind, all 18-24-year-olds are not this stupid, and some much older than that are.

If you were a legal medical marijuana patient in California who came here, you would be arrested if you happened to be staying at this hotel since your urine would show traces of marijuana. Even though nothing was consumed here.

Is this fair?

The Thai laws on marijuana were strongly influenced by the U.S. DEA in the Vietnam era when Thailand was a good source of pot for GIs and a lot was being smuggled to the states by GIs.

Remember Thai Sticks?

Unfortunately, now that the U.S. has relaxed about marijuana and is changing their laws, Thailand has not followed suite.

The U.S. no longer has the influence on Thailand that it once did.

Maybe Thailand will adopt Chinese or North Korean drug policies in the future ?

1 hour ago, willyumiii said:

The fact that they were smoking pot is not the big issue.

Most people these days agree that smoking pot is pretty harmless.

The issue is that they are stupid and disrespectful enough to smoke pot in a country that still considers it a serious crime and can be pretty harsh about enforcing the laws.

You can not fix stupid, but you can lock it up and keep it off of the streets.

If you could lock people away for being stupid, you could be doing life. 

7 minutes ago, willyumiii said:

Smoking pot at OVERSTAY was the problem, me thinks. 

Archived