Drawing attention to yourself - backpackers arrested for ganja party at "Overstay"

rooster59

I dont know why they still do these piss tests,etc.From what i understand, a hair folical test can show some drugs up to 3 years later.

I used to think that Mary Jane stayed in your system for 72 hours,but ive since been educated.

Is the RTB aware of this?if not,then they should be.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

It could go very badly for them,if the authorities decide that in this time of mourning,these ferangs blatantly ignored the feelings of the people. It could be considered les Mageste,complete disregard for the mourning period.It could be seen that they were partying,and taking drugs is a serious insult.

As they are ferangs,they will get the shit end of the stick over this.

"Felangs must learn lesson in our country"

I agree.

it is also bad that they were so blatant about breaking the law.

So much so that it was obvious to others and others  complained about it.

Thailand can be very lax about enforcing many laws,

but if you are stupid enough to be obvious about it, it shows disrespect for the country and it is an insult to law enforcement, so they are compelled  to act and not ignore the crime.

I remember visiting the place when it first opened, stayed an hour or so then got out. It was more like an Amsterdam squat in the wrong country. Just being there made me nervous, felt like it was going to get raided any moment. Amazed it took so long to happen. I recall that the owner/lease holder was Israeli.

Sent from my twisted mind using Thaivisa Connect

44 minutes ago, hohososo said:

Pretty sure after this experience they will have zero desire to return here. Nor will the 1000+ of their combined facebook friends once they hear this story. Nor will the millions of legal medicinal marijuana users around the world want to visit here once they realize that traces of marijuana in their system is a crime here even though no drugs were consumed in the Kingdom.

Not just here, but all of East Asia and South East Asia.

Not just here, but all of East Asia and South East Asia.

Can you provide a source which suggests that any other South East Asian country will drug test a foreigner, and arrest them if traces of drugs are detected in their urine even if the drugs were consumed in a jurisdiction where it is legal?

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Well done, authorities. 

Thailand is now a much safer and moral place. Well, if we ignore the corruption and road deaths. 

So you're saying they should do nothing until everything is up to your standards?

I imagine your country all crime and corruption has been eradicated and the skies are not cloudy all day.

My personal views on recreational drugs is that they should be decriminalised like Portugal, however this isn't Portugal and drugs are illegal here and we must adhere to the law of the country we are in regardless of our personal views.

Reading the comments on here it seems to me that this place was well known for smoking pot and it would only be a matter of time before this happened, so smoking pot in this place would indeed appear to be rather stupid to say the least.

In regards to the punishment the users, if they go through the court system the fines will be small a few hundred baht, but by the time they go through the system they will have another problem which is rather ironic considering the name of the place they were caught overstay.

To avoid going through the court system is where it gets expensive and with recent events and the publicity this case has now will only make it more expensive.

The guy caught with the ganga and charged with intent to supply is going to have a much bigger problem and will do time unless he comes up with some serious amount of money.

4 hours ago, gdgbb said:

I had to decide if you were being serious or sarcastic. 

If serious, do you seriously think that while investigations into this incident were being made all other investigations were put on hold?  The RTP do have enough personnel to undertake multiple investigations concurrently, you know.

" Police are now looking for the owner of "Overstay" to determine if they knew what was going on at the premises. "

but as the owner is probably Thai the "multiple Investigation" may turn out to be too difficult.

6 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

A lot of self-righteous claptrap being trotted out here.

Smoking a bit of puff doesn't make you a drug addict any more than having a pint makes you an alcoholic.

Out-of-touch old men flapping their mouths as usual.

Agree with the self righteous bit , lot of nonsense spoken about 'drugs '. However I think only a <deleted> would openly party at this particular time.

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I went there for a party a few years back when they had psy trance parties. The guy running the place (I'm pretty sure the same guy caught with the weed) was an extremely arrogant d*ck lol. The place full of smelly hippys and the like. Khao sarn dreadlocks everywhere.

I still hope they don't get into too much trouble just for smoking weed... But selling? You are farked!

I have nothing against pot smokers and nothing against backpackers and hippies, but I do detest noisemakers. When I used to rent, every single noise maker was a selfish, disrespectful douche. As a matter of fact, if they were keeping quiet and kept doing wherever they were doing everything would have been fine. 

They were acting selfish and got whet they deserved.

6 minutes ago, johnny Cage said:

This was bound to happen sooner or later. I went there for a party a few years back when they had psy trance parties. The guy running the place (I'm pretty sure the same guy caught with the weed) was an extremely arrogant d*ck lol. The place full of smelly hippys and the like. Khao sarn dreadlocks everywhere.

I still hope they don't get into too much trouble just for smoking weed... But selling? You are farked!

Thanks for that interesting insight. I can speculate that some Thais who might normally turn a blind eye, and probably have done by the sound of it, got upset by this display of cultural ignorance and arrogance. I might have some sympathy for any foolish tourists but the fact everyone was dressed in black might've been a clue to the general mood of the country. The Israeli guy is probably in deep fecal matter, and he'll need deep pockets to extricate himself from this one. He ain't no baby and has been here for a while, if your assumption is correct. He, at least, should've been aware that the times have changed - Thailand is no longer the party capital of the world. Personally, I would encourage people to visit at this time, a unique opportunity to get a real insight into the Thai psyche, rather than the almost cartoonish image portrayed by the popular media.

29 minutes ago, thena9ir said:

Why not thank authorities after they get rid of corruption not for arresting some poor young people who think getting high while hiding is cool.   I feel sorry for you and who ever liked your post

Did somebody beam you on Star Trek's Enterprise and you couldn't find your way back? 

"Getting high while hiding is a good one." :stoner:

8 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A few years in a Thai jail should sort thrm out

For smoking a bit of weed? Having less than an ounce between 15 of them? More like a fine is appropriate....and a bigger one for being so darn stupid. 

The guy who sexually assaulted the American gets a miserable five years....she is currently paralysed.

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

But it is illegal here and that is the only real point.

Some other countries have made it legal so surely it makes sense to do it there if you want to do it.

Whether it should be legal or not in Thailand is for Thailand to decide.

Who cares what is legal or not in this country !!!

Legal is what I decide it is !

2 hours ago, hohososo said:

Can you provide a source which suggests that any other South East Asian country will drug test a foreigner, and arrest them if traces of drugs are detected in their urine even if the drugs were consumed in a jurisdiction where it is legal?

Any where in places of Asia where the authorities suspect drug abuse is occurring would be a risk for urine test, a bar or pub, or discotheque...

They would even spot check students in a school as had happened in Singapore.

Google for - an overview of drug laws in Singapore

Any where in places of Asia where the authorities suspect drug abuse is occurring would be a risk for urine test, a bar or pub, or discotheque...

They would even spot check students in a school as had happened in Singapore.

Any source of this ever happening would be appreciated.

52 minutes ago, nausea said:

Thanks for that interesting insight. I can speculate that some Thais who might normally turn a blind eye, and probably have done by the sound of it, got upset by this display of cultural ignorance and arrogance. I might have some sympathy for any foolish tourists but the fact everyone was dressed in black might've been a clue to the general mood of the country. The Israeli guy is probably in deep fecal matter, and he'll need deep pockets to extricate himself from this one. He ain't no baby and has been here for a while, if your assumption is correct. He, at least, should've been aware that the times have changed - Thailand is no longer the party capital of the world. Personally, I would encourage people to visit at this time, a unique opportunity to get a real insight into the Thai psyche, rather than the almost cartoonish image portrayed by the popular media.

"Personally, I would encourage people to visit at this time, a unique opportunity to get a real insight into the Thai psyche, rather than the almost cartoonish image portrayed by the popular media."

Indeed, lynch mobs for those deemed to be mourning incorrectly, "attitude adjustment" and jail following a military trial for expressing an opinion or for pressing 'like' on Facebook, a "government" that is unaccountable to anyone but itself and makes investigating the wealth of its members a criminal offence, demolishing houses and national heritage sites where residents have lived for decades to make room for a 'park' which no one will ever visit, to name but a few.

8 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

A lot of self-righteous claptrap being trotted out here.

Smoking a bit of puff doesn't make you a drug addict any more than having a pint makes you an alcoholic.

Out-of-touch old men flapping their mouths as usual.

555 a bit of information for you here. Listen up

Smoking  a bit of weed is illegal and can lead to other drugs and usualy does. 

Having a pint of beer is not illegal but can cause you in the long run to become an alcoholic. 

So as usual a 60's hippy type new age gob <deleted> know it all weed smoking oink flapping it's mouth off again.

8 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

A few years in a Thai jail should sort thrm out

Really...what is the likely jail term, if any, for use of marijuana?  I know it is illegal, but what sentence is normally given? I recall a post last year in which a fellow got 3 months for 3 ounces...but for mere consumption? I have a mate in Pattaya who smokes a few times a week...it would be nice to inform him what his real risk is...he's rather old with poor health, and I'm sure a jail term of any length would jeopardize his health substantially...

1 hour ago, thena9ir said:

Why not thank authorities after they get rid of corruption not for arresting some poor young people who think getting high while hiding is cool.   I feel sorry for you and who ever liked your post

he was being sarcastic...relax...

Archived