IPTV & KODI - how to get yourself setup (UK and US channels in particular)

Buffy Frobisher

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The price was actually in your quote: GBP80 (that's about 3500B). That's complete with case, power supply and the full operating system (though not including an extra memory card).

Yes, I'm aware that the RPi and my miniPC are not the same, and I'm aware of the "hobbyist" nature of the RPi. I just found it rather slow and tedious to use. For example, I installed VNC on the miniPC very quickly to be able to use it without a dedicated keyboard and mouse. Getting VNC to start automatically at boot on Windows was also very easy, so all I need to do is turn it on and can then control it via VNC. To do the same thing on the RPi would have involved several different command line sequences and modifying a system file. I really cba to learn how to do that to accomplish such a simple task.

Sod that, nVidia Shield, it flies.

And costs the same as a decent night out.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The price was actually in your quote: GBP80 (that's about 3500B). That's complete with case, power supply and the full operating system (though not including an extra memory card).

Yes, I'm aware that the RPi and my miniPC are not the same, and I'm aware of the "hobbyist" nature of the RPi. I just found it rather slow and tedious to use. For example, I installed VNC on the miniPC very quickly to be able to use it without a dedicated keyboard and mouse. Getting VNC to start automatically at boot on Windows was also very easy, so all I need to do is turn it on and can then control it via VNC. To do the same thing on the RPi would have involved several different command line sequences and modifying a system file. I really cba to learn how to do that to accomplish such a simple task.

For that price it's a bargain indeed! Although I'd have to say that 2 GB RAM is at the very bottom for a Windows system. If it accesses the pagefile a lot that cheap eMMC memory (basically an integrated SD card) will be worn out in no time. Too bad they don't sell this box without Windows because I'd probably prefer a lightweight Linux distro for Kodi purposes.

Does this box support CEC commands from a tv? And does it decode x265 in hardware?

5 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

For that price it's a bargain indeed! Although I'd have to say that 2 GB RAM is at the very bottom for a Windows system. If it accesses the pagefile a lot that cheap eMMC memory (basically an integrated SD card) will be worn out in no time. Too bad they don't sell this box without Windows because I'd probably prefer a lightweight Linux distro for Kodi purposes.

Does this box support CEC commands from a tv? And does it decode x265 in hardware?

Here is a review: https://liliputing.com/2015/11/tronsmart-ara-x5-mini-pc-review-its-a-real-desktop-pc-but-not-a-super-speedy-one.html

There are quite a lot of other reviews around, some of which discuss the handling of different video formats in detail. There are versions of Librelec and other OSs that can be installed on this, though not all features are always available.

It is a PC rather than a set-top box so CEC is probably not standard, but being a Windows device there may be programmes available that add this function.

20 hours ago, Chicog said:

Sod that, nVidia Shield, it flies.

I bought this because I specifically wanted a Windows PC and not an Android box.

39 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

I've just wasted a few hours of my life searching for HD Sky Sports feeds for Kodi.

Nothing I've found is decent quality. I'll stick to PremiumExpatTV for now.

You generally only find those on paid subs.

Although I've seen them on Zem TV, not very reliable though.

15 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Here is a review: https://liliputing.com/2015/11/tronsmart-ara-x5-mini-pc-review-its-a-real-desktop-pc-but-not-a-super-speedy-one.html

There are quite a lot of other reviews around, some of which discuss the handling of different video formats in detail. There are versions of Librelec and other OSs that can be installed on this, though not all features are always available.

It is a PC rather than a set-top box so CEC is probably not standard, but being a Windows device there may be programmes available that add this function.

I bought this because I specifically wanted a Windows PC and not an Android box.

Thanks for the info. Someone on the Tronsmart forum created a Libreelec version but he can't seem to fix audio passthrough over HDMI. Not sure about CEC though but I've read reports about other models that don't support it. These two issues don't make it a potential standalone replacement for a Raspberry, unfortunately.

• 4 weeks later...

It's only the recent inability to watch the Sky News 'Watch Live' feed on the Apple TV 4 that's got me looking at these Android boxes and what other TV options might be available.  As has been said above I have absolutely ZERO interest in tinkering with Raspberry PI an d/ or Kodi and am solely interested in being able to get some decent channels and watching uninterrupted non-buffering TV.  I have no interest in gaming and not that bothered about the sports channels.  I also can't be asked with faffing about with VPNs, most of which I've found to be crap.  Can't be bothered to look at them again. Local content, movies and TV series, I watch on the Apple TV via Plex with Plex Media Server running on a dedicated headless Mac Mini server.

I've had a play with Kodi and have to say I had an immediate dislike for it.  maybe just because it's new.  Didn't like the interface, seems to be an abundance of crap apps serving up loads of absolute junk feeds most of which are dead ends with material not available, poor quality, buffering.  Forget it.  No way.  So I'm guessing for me, if I go this route, a paid IPTV service would be better.  I'm more interested in UK TV than US.  Was going to go for Thai Expat TV but it's quite pricey for a lot of channels I'd likely not be be bothered with.  Flawless seems to be a good deal though!

Hardware wise.  Looked at the Nvidia Shield.  Seems 'Thai Nexus Man' on Lazada has them but out of stock pretty much, doubtless due to the impending release of the 2016/17 version.  Looks like a great device and can do Netflix in HD.  I have the Apple TV for Netflix HD though and as such, £200 for a box just to load one or two IPTV channels on it might be overkill.

Amazon Fire TV.  Looks OK.  Can also do Netflix in HD but not so easy to get here (as is anything other than junk), good if you want to use Amazon Prime (but I'm not keen on their pricing model - pay for membership but then suddenly find you have to pay extra because this is premium content etc) so I'm not sure I do.

MI box.  Looks quite good, US version runs the Android TV OS and also can do Netflix HD.  No ethernet connection though.  Doesn't make the shortlist.

Roku 4.  Still undecided about this.

Minix U1.  Seems ideal for what I want and less than half the price of the Shield.  No Netflix HD though so it'd be difficult to ditch the Apple TV in the future if I decide to go the one box route, unless I got a Shield or Amazon TV.

AIS free Playbox.  Older style box BUT does come with free access to Thai channels plus several paid channels with content that's not too bad.  Can also load apps from the Play Store and other iPTV apps.  Might be the best option for now, given that it's free with AIS fibre installs and includes 1 free year of Hooq.  At least that way, if I find I can't be asked with the Android route I've not wasted any money trying it out.

12 minutes ago, SooKee said:

MI box.  Looks quite good, US version runs the Android TV OS and also can do Netflix HD.  No ethernet connection though.  Doesn't make the shortlist.

I bought and brought back from my recent U.S. trip the U.S. version of the Mi Box, and just got thru installing it at home in the past couple days. During my U.S. stay, Walmart was entirely sold out both online and in-store, so I had to end up ordering it from Xiaomi's U.S. website and having it delivered there for $69 plus shipping.

Early verdict: it seems as fast or faster than my 2nd gen Amazon Fire TV box. It does only have dual band AC wifi and no Ethernet jack, but thus far, it's streamed HD from the U.S. just fine via my 3BB 200/50 internet service. Right now, the Android TV app store is definitely more limited than the Fire TV app store.

For example, there are no Android TV apps for either the new AT&T OTT online cable TV service DirecTV Now, nor is there an Amazon Prime Video app, and trying to sideload the regular Android versions of those doesn't seem to work. But Sling TV, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, NFL, WatchESPN, Kodi, TuneIn, Spotify, the various Google Play services and others all seem to work fine.

One minor annoyance I found on setup was the top two rows on icons of the display were for various apps listed as being recommended by Xiaomi -- icons that you couldn't delete, hide or even reorganize. But it turns out, you can make those disappear and just have your own self-chosen apps appear on the home screen by going into the Settings / Apps menu, and then disabling the system app titled something like "XiaomiLeanback."

The one thing some people have quibbled about re the Mi Box is playback difficulties with the current firmware version for some configurations of people's own 4K video files. But since I don't currently use any 4K video files at home and don't have any 4K TVs, I can't offer any personal experience on that subject. However I can say, the box's full HD playback is just fine.

33 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Amazon Fire TV.  Looks OK.  Can also do Netflix in HD but not so easy to get here (as is anything other than junk), good if you want to use Amazon Prime (but I'm not keen on their pricing model - pay for membership but then suddenly find you have to pay extra because this is premium content etc) so I'm not sure I do.

I'm not sure what you mean by that re Amazon Prime video. By being a paid Amazon Prime subscriber, you gain free streaming access to a wide range of TV and movie content. In fact, Amazon Prime Instant Video is now the second largest streaming platform in the U.S. behind Netflix.  There's more free online video content available there than anyone could ever watch, and many would say, much more movie and TV content than offered lately by Netflix, which has increasingly focused on its own content, to the detriment of other content providers.

With Amazon Prime, you can stream to your heart's content and never pay an extra dime, unless you choose to.  However, because it is a service thru Amazon, you do also have the option to purchase or rent other video content that's not part of the free streaming service. But it's not like Amazon is forcing anyone to make those purchases, or tricking anyone into doing so.

Thanks for that.  Pity so much of this stuff is so hard to get here or comes from dubious sources.  I'm still thinking the lack of ethernet would be a show-stopper for me.  But I think I'd take this over and Amazon Fire.  I'm not too bothered about the lack of app store content as I don't want to do anything more than turn it on and select whatever IPTV source, or local source I want to watch.  So long, that is, as I can get the sources I will likely subscribe too (e.g. Flawless) and Thai channels via Crusader/Phoenix.  I also need to try and see if I can get and load the AIS playbox APK onto whatever I choose, might as well use it.

Nvidia Shield really does sound ideal but I do thinks it's overkill for my needs.  And it seems to be targeted for gaming first.  The reviews of it actually seem more positive about it's gaming abilities than its streaming.  Maybe I'll opt for one in the future once I see if I want to stick with one of these boxes in addition to, or instead of the Apple TV.  If it was instead of, it would have to be Netflix HD compliant which will rule out all them other than the Shield, Roku, and Mi.  Even though the Minix is around 5k new, it still might not be the most cost effective option if I decide to bin the ATV and then need to replace the Minix with a Netflix HD compliant device. Hence maybe better I wait and try the AIS Playbox first as a cheap and cheerful test bed then jump straight to a Shield, Mi or Roku if I decide to stick with it AND bin the ATV.

I was quite happy with the Apple TV but in all honesty only use it for local content streaming now Sky News 'Watch Live' won't work.  For local content I use Plex seeing as the iTunes / Sharing interface is so bad with ENDLESS scrolling through large libraries of music, TV or movies. I think all of the boxes here have Plex apps available for them.  Airplay I never use really.  So other than Netflix HD, I can't really think of a reason to keep the ATV 4.

6 minutes ago, 2008bangkok said:

Is it better than The Beast?

Are you asking about the NVidia Shield? In comparison to the Mi Box?

I don't have and haven't used the Shield. But both its price and specs are well above those of the Mi Box. And of course the Shield was originally focused on gaming as well, unlike the Mi Box.

But from what I've been reading, it sounds like the new version of the Shield may well be a lower priced, lower spec'd version intended to compete more directly with things like the Fire TV Box and the Mi Box. Focusing more on just video streaming where the hardware requirements are less demanding compared to online gaming.

I don't have and haven't used the Shield. But both its price and specs are well above those of the Mi Box. And of course the Shield was originally focused on gaming as well, unlike the Mi Box.

But from what I've been reading, it sounds like the new version of the Shield may well be a lower priced, lower spec'd version intended to compete more directly with things like the Fire TV Box and the Mi Box. Focusing more on just video streaming where the hardware requirements are less demanding compared to online gaming.

I'm talking about the Kodi setup,

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that re Amazon Prime video. By being a paid Amazon Prime subscriber, you gain free streaming access to a wide range of TV and movie content. In fact, Amazon Prime Instant Video is now the second largest streaming platform in the U.S. behind Netflix.  There's more free online video content available there than anyone could ever watch, and many would say, much more movie and TV content than offered lately by Netflix, which has increasingly focused on its own content, to the detriment of other content providers.

With Amazon Prime, you can stream to your heart's content and never pay an extra dime, unless you choose to.  However, because it is a service thru Amazon, you do also have the option to purchase or rent other video content that's not part of the free streaming service. But it's not like Amazon is forcing anyone to make those purchases, or tricking anyone into doing so.

I never said they were forcing or tricking.  What is not always clear though is what is included with membership and what isn't. I may have it wrong as it's been a couple of days since I checked but, for instance, Man in the High Castle season 2.  Doesn't seem to be free to view with Prime membership.  So it'd be the same as Netflix putting out Season 2 of Narcos and charging for it above the regular membership.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

If that was the case, I'd likely go for the Shield, even if it meant using a forwarder.  Unless Nvidia will ship to Thailand (I'm still not sure why Amazon won't).  I'd be happy to pay for a Shield that was more (even if not entirely) focussed on streaming that I would for a box that seems 70% focussed on gaming, something I wouldn't use.

2 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I never said they were forcing or tricking.  What is not always clear though is what is included with membership and what isn't. I may have it wrong as it's been a couple of days since I checked but, for instance, Man in the High Castle season 2.  Doesn't seem to be free to view with Prime membership.  So it'd be the same as Netflix putting out Season 2 of Narcos and charging for it above the regular membership.

Man in the High Castle is Amazon original content. And AFAIK, all Amazon original content is included for free streaming for Amazon Prime Instant Video members (P.S., I'm talking specifically about those with U.S.-based Amazon Prime memberships).

Amazon is just now getting into its broader international expansion, and I haven't had a chance to check yet what their offerings would be for people who take out, say, a Thailand-based Amazon Prime Video membership.

I don't have either USA or UK Prime memberships and I can't be bothered with VPNs at all.  Netflix was usable via VPN before until they did their clamp down and while some VPNs might still be able to access USA Netflix I'd always be concerned that a few weeks after signing up for a paid year long VPN they chop that one to.  One would think it would only be a matter of time. They are clearly going all out to block any region you don't live in.

As for Amazon Prime, same thing really,  Not yet accessible in Thailand AFAIK and I guess you can only get a US or UK version with a US or UK credit card but even on the UK site the information is scant about whether the international video only is available.  Clicking on Start Trial merely takes you straight to a section to input your credit card details!  Very informative.  How about telling people what they're signing up to first?  Is it the full Prime membership or just Prime Video.  Clear as mud.  It's also not clear if you can sign up to Prime Video international on the USA site with a non USA credit card, or, if it becomes available in Thailand, how and via where we'll need to do it.  You would think you could given your signing for an international service. Not all international customers will be US citizens with US credit cards.  But again, not clear.  Have to wait and see I guess.  I just hope it's not the hamstrung the way Netflix is here.

Quick update.  Thought I'd give it a shot.  Just signed up to the free 7 day trial of Amazon Prime video international via the USA website at $2.99 for the first 6 months followed by $5.99 thereafter using a UK credit with a billing address registered to Malaysia (where my other place is).  All gone through fine.  Will see how it goes over the next 7 days.

Seeing as I just got got the Amazon Prime Video international to work it seems I'd need to add the ability to load the Amazon prime app onto a device.  Added to that is the need for it to be Netflix HD compliant as I'll be looking to bin the Apple TV.  Finally, other iPTV apps would hopefully work and the need to have a Plex player, either as an app or via Kodi.  While I might not use Amazon Prime or Netflix all the time I don't want to get a device that shuts me out of anything or forces me to keep another box unless I can't avoid it.  That seems to narrow it down somewhat.  In order of preference / performance it would be:

Amazon Fire TV: Amazon content, Netflix HD, native Plex app, takes Kodi and other apps (I believe) but not sure how easily.  Looks like this might be the one to go for now IF it'll take other APKs AND I can get one here from a forwarder or find a Thai supplier.  Don't even mind paying a bit over the odds.

Roku 4: Interface and remote issues keep me from researching this device further but it is Netflix HD compliant, can use the Amazon Prime Android app, native Plex app.

Nvidia Shield: IF the 2017 version was more streaming focussed and preferably cheaper this would be the number one choice.  Netflix HD compliant, Plex compatible but I'd need to check it can run Plex as a Player not as a server seeing  I have my server on a mac Mini.  BUT - No Amazon app as yet and unless it had one I likely wouldn't bother especially at the price and given the fact that my secondary box, the Apple TV, also has no Amazon Prime app :(

Xiaomi Mi: OK for Netflix HD but not Amazon Prime.  Can use the Android Plex app.  Netflix HD likely kills it from the list unless I keep the ATV.

17 minutes ago, SooKee said:

It is.  But it's less convenient.  Also it doesn't change the fact that the Apple TV can no longer access it, that's the point.

Perhaps they were paying Sky for the privilege and Murdoch put the price up?

On 12/21/2016 at 3:52 PM, SooKee said:

It is.  But it's less convenient.  Also it doesn't change the fact that the Apple TV can no longer access it, that's the point.

So Apple TV cannot access YouTube? As I said I've never used Apple and by sounds of it never will, but on my Android a link to Youtube channel or any other media such as TV, movie and live TV is just a favorite bookmark saved and couldn't be more convenient.

Archived