Phuket Airport Domestic Terminal to undergo year-long renovations, travel delays expected

rooster59

Phuket Airport Domestic Terminal to undergo year-long renovations, travel delays expected

1477715895_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: Parts of the Phuket International Airport (PIA) Domestic Terminal will be closed over the next year as renovations are undertaken, officials announced yesterday (Oct 28), and advised travellers to arrive early for their domestic flights.

The announcement was made by the Director of Phuket International Airport Monrudee Gettuphan at a press conference held at Proud Phuket Hotel in Naiyang yesterday at 3:30pm.

Speaking at the meeting, Ms Monrudee said, “Since the new International Terminal at PIA was officially opened on September 16, we now need to renovate the old terminal, which is now our Domestic Terminal, in order to accommodate the increasing number of domestic travellers.

“The renovation project is expected to be completed in 330 days,” she added.

“The remodeling of the old terminal will begin on November 1. This renovation is to improve the public amenities and other systems within the terminal and also to make the area more presentable and create commercial space.”

“The renovation for the old terminal will take place in two phases. The first phase of this project is to close the south side of the domestic terminal for renovation, this includes levels one to three. The second phase is to close level one to three on the north side and to improve all airport systems.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-airport-domestic-terminal-to-undergo-year-long-renovations-travel-delays-expected-59635.php#Sy0eCYiki6fYPHat.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-10-30

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

And again the usual negativity.

I think the other recent building projects at the airport went without any major delays or difficulties.

Sorry, not quit right, from news about it (see below)

So about 1,5 year delay. Maybe a bit less, and still the immigration part of the new terminal is not up to speed.

I agree a lot of negative post's her.

But quite a lot of them is valid, far from all I'll admit. But still

It's expected to open around the same time or a little before the new international terminal in May, 2015.

Projecting the figure of 20 million, up from the previous 12.5 million, explains where AoT will find the capacity to handle Phuket's extraordinary growth in tourist numbers.

In line with Phuketwan's estimates, the AoT believes arrivals and departures through the Phuket facility could reach 11 million this year.

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

And again the usual negativity.

I think the other recent building projects at the airport went without any major delays or difficulties.

I have a road here that's been repaired 5 times. if they did it properly and paid the 1st time it would be all good. I work on percentage outcome. Unless there's been a shift in management I would say the odds are against them.

31 minutes ago, performance said:

I have a road here that's been repaired 5 times. if they did it properly and paid the 1st time it would be all good. I work on percentage outcome. Unless there's been a shift in management I would say the odds are against them.

And your road is a Phuket airport road?

Since the opening of the new airport that does not have enough staff or the necessary computers, it has been chaos ! Friends  and their families that recently arrived, and departed Phuket , said that they would never go back there it was so  Awful.A two hour wait standing up in an over crowded hall, after a 18 hour trip from Europe, battling with crooked taxi drivers who drove like maniacs was enough to put them off for life ! I myself really want to visit old friends there, but don't think I'll go due to these problems.

Archived