Lisbon consulate

I am only in Lisbon for one day. It would be convenient if I could pick up a single entry tourist visa while there. Does anyone know the process there. The website is mostly in Thai and does not seem to answer my main questions anyway.

1. Do they issue tourist visas the same day?
  2. Is there convenient public transport to get there from the Campo Grande area, or do I need to use taxis?

Thank you for any insight anyone can give me.

Almost all Thai consulates and embessies are a two day service.

Usually you apply in the morning of the first day, and return on the 2nd day in the afternoon to pick up your visa.

i would be very surprised if Lisbon does not fo;;ow the same scefule.

Therefore i would expect two days at least for a visa.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Like you I found no info on the embassy website for visas other than the application form for one.

Since it is an embassy I would think the chances of same day service are about zero.

If you were going to be near Porto you might have a better chance at the honorary consulate there.

Honorary Thai Consulate in Porto

Estrada Ext. Circunvalacao, 12252

4460-282 SEHORA DA HORA

Tel. 229 579 190

Fax 229 533 233

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Like you I found no info on the embassy website for visas other than the application form for one.

Since it is an embassy I would think the chances of same day service are about zero.

Thanks. I have the same fear about same day service. The Contact page (http://www.thaiembassy.org/lisbon/th/organize/17344-Contact-Informat.html) suggests the visa section is open both morning and afternoon so perhaps there is a faint chance. I will try calling them tomorrow just to verify the bad news.

I am resident in Portugal and have obtained many visas in Lisbon.

The embassy is in Restelo more or less next to the Belenenses football stadium. It is possible to get the train to Belem and walk up to the embassy but much easier to get a taxi from the centre of the city. Cost of taxis in Lisbon is very reasonable and mention of the football stadium makes it easy if the driver does not speak English.

When I have applied, I have been required to phone for an appointment in advance and supply copies of my residence permit and flight details with the application. I have always had an appointment in the morning and picked up the visa in the afternoon (with one exception when I don't think a signatory was available). Generally, the whole process has gone quite smoothly. The lady who handles the applications speaks perfect English.

I do not know whether they would issue a visa for a casual visitor to the city but suspect, like many countries, they restrict their issue to permanent residents. I suggest you give them a call.

• Like 1

A belated follow-up ...

I contacted the Lisbon consulate. They confirmed that

• tourist visas could be issued by them to casual Lisbon visitors;
  • in principle, they can be issued the same day they are applied for; but
  • a prior appointment with the consular section is required, and the timing of my visit did not allow such an appointment to be made (it was too short notice).

So, no good for me, but a possible option for someone else in the future with sufficient prior notice.