Gun Laws in Thailand

My brother in law legally purchased a handgun about two years ago.  I've been told he has a valid license and the purchase was 100% legal.  No one in the family supported the purchase but he's an adult and there wasn't much anyone could do to stop him.  

Anyway, his less than clever girlfriend posted photos on Facebook this morning of her posing with what appears to be semi-automatic rifle.  I'm not a gun expert, but this is more or less what the gun looks like:

16246536-Semi-automatic-assault-rifle-is

To me this looks like the type of gun that is frequently used in the horrific mass shootings that occur in the US.  Is it legal for a regular Thai citizen to own a gun like this?  He's not a police officer and never spent a day in the military.  

My wife and I are currently living outside of Thailand, and when she saw the photos on the girlfriend's facebook page, she nearly had a heart attack.  She's been trying to contact her brother all day, but he's not answering his phone or responding to social media messages and emails.  The girlfriend has also gone quiet and the photos have disappeared. I'm guessing that the girlfriend posted the photos without his knowledge and he's less than pleased.  

But as I queried above, can Thais legally own this type of gun?

Since I am a guest in this country, I abide by all the rules. Even the rules I consider to be silly. I want to stay here. For the past couple of years I have been trying to legally buy and possess an air rifle. I still have not been able to buy one.

6 hours ago, Don Mega said:
11 hours ago, tonray said:

Even bullet proof vests are classified as weapons of war here.

A vest is classified as a weapon in many countries.

Not in the US... Sure no one will be surprised though. 

2 minutes ago, MikeyIdea said:

Number One is the world in unprovoked school shootings where psychos go berserk and kill innocent students, been going on for years now and no improvement

The only way to see that attitude without crying is sarcastically, unless you're American perhaps

However FYI Thailand has twice the gun violence deaths of the USA.  Just sayin' 

• Like 2

Thais can own guns here, the wife bought one legally here a few years back. They can use them in self defense in their home/property. So yes they can buy them AND use them legally within reason. 

I forget the entire process but it was a lot of local Amphur trips with family and poo-yai-baan. They look at your character and your assets and see if there are enough to warrant you needing a firearm. 

Ended up she got a Glock 19 Gen4 for like 85,000 baht. All in with permits and stuff probably over 100k. USA can buy second hand for like $300

Edited by Strange

probably an air soft gun or replica...  not only are gun laws fairly strict in Thailand guns are also extremely expensive by american standards...  when i arrived in Thailand i wanted to replace some of the guns i owned in the US since i couldn't legally bring them over with me.... After doing some research decided i didn't need a new glock that badly... was expecting something around the 15,000-20,000 baht mark... turned out to be around the 70,000-80,000 mark.

You also have to jump through a few hoops and only property owners can purchase and own guns.

decided to go with billy clubs and hand crossbows.

Edited by speckio

4 minutes ago, joeyg said:

However FYI Thailand has twice the gun violence deaths of the USA.  Just sayin' 

Big difference in where this happens. I talk about unprovoked school shootings. Keep on sayin'...

The good thing with Thai violence is that it is not unprovoked

Edited by MikeyIdea

14 hours ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Is it legal for a regular Thai citizen to own a gun like this?

Im like 99% sure he either stole the image of the net or its a variation of an Airsoft BB-type gun. 

Brother in law has a pretty real looking one that takes CO2 cartridges. 

• Like 1

I would say its a replica that fires plastic balls using gas.

Doubt very much he could legally get a real weapon like that with a gun license here.

As far as I know Thais can have a gun if they go through all the correct channels etc and it is for home defense or target practice at a range. I think the storage rules for the gun and ammo are quite strict also.

I was told a non Thai can have a gun also but it would be used for target practice and they need to apply through correct way. They seemingly cannot use it for home defense , but if they have a Thai wife then the she can fire it at a person trying to break in etc. You would need very good cause , good lawyer and lot of money to get off with shooting someone I reckon.

I find my dogs are enough to keep people away !! :laugh:

Edited by ronaldo0

11 minutes ago, joeyg said:

What!? 

Don't quite know what you mean. Unprovoked violence has been on the rise in western civilizations for a few decades now. I'm not saying that it won't come to Thailand too, it probably will but it is fortunately still very low here

I feel much safer here than I ever would in London, Paris or American cities. I can go with my 11 year old daughter in the Khlong Toey slum night time and still feel safe, no one would hurt us. And yes, I have done this

Main reason is attitude - steal, yes that happens of course, hurt and maim unnecessarily when it can be avoided, no. That is fortunately still a western thing

There is a point in doing nothing despite all the gun violence in the US.... Not a good one though

Edited by MikeyIdea
  • Like 1