Gun Laws in Thailand

1 hour ago, Strange said:

5.56 is a low caliber, high'ish velocity round. The bullet itself in the AR15 is almost the same caliber as your grandpappies .22 with a larger case and more powder. 

5.56, .223, .22 almost the same caliber. 

While you are right that the projectiles of these are all about the same size they are certainly not the same power.

5.56mm is the current NATO and US military standard ammunition.

The picture in the OP shows a pretty short barrel (so low muzzle velocity) weapon which would not be much good for hunting but OK for up close combat, IMO

My bet is a toy, maybe a plastic pellet toy like young son had some years back. I've lost the requirements for farang license but there are only a few calibers that can be owned to the best of my memory. No high powered rifles, 12 gauge shotgun, ah yea, give me the 'ol Remington 870 in 12 gauge mag, 9  mm-junk., .38 don't know if that includes .357 which beats the hell out of a 9 mm. I don't remember 22. It was difficult but certainly not impossible to have in ones home. A carry license was a whole different ballgame. For that you better know somebody up very high and have a lot of money. I don't know what it is like under the present government but suspect very, very difficult both for farangs and Thais.

BTW, Strange, I'm one of your hated libs, well actually a left wing radical militant and I had a small arsenal consisting of pistols. Including Colt Mod. 1911A1 with original 22 conversion kit, S&W 586-my service revolver, shotguns, and what the stupid like to call assault weapons, AK-47, M-14, M-1's, M-1 carbine and a damn good long range custom 300 Mag. I did a bit of gunsmithing helped by my gunsmith in New Mexico.

I'll dig around on the hard drive and see if I can find the gunshop and requirements that I had.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shinabkk said:

While you are right that the projectiles of these are all about the same size they are certainly not the same power.

5.56mm is the current NATO and US military standard ammunition.

The picture in the OP shows a pretty short barrel (so low muzzle velocity) weapon which would not be much good for hunting but OK for up close combat, IMO

Never said it was the same power, just providing information so people didn't think it was a "war bullet for killing children"

5.56 NATO is based on the Remington .223, hardly a weapon of war, or a huge caliber, or power. I mean its so close you can shoot a .223 round safely through a 5.56 AR15 no problem all day. 

The rifle does appear to be a SBR, and while there are good reasons to choose a SBR for combat, there are also very good reasons to choose a short barrel repeating rifle for hog hunting. Not all hunting is 'perched in a tree' long game. Anyway you can still use a SBR very accurately over 100 meters but like all guns you have to know how to sight it and your ammo choice. 

Army uses the 9X19mm parabellum in its Beretta M9, but that does not make a 9mm handgun a "war weapon"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

What about an air pistol firing .177 or .22 lead pellets? Would I be able to get a license as a home owner (Thai) for something like that?   

If you have Thai citizenship there is no delay in the application process. Just apply in the normal manner.

If you see the firearm you want for sale in a gun shop then it is possible to get a license for it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Get an upgraded bb gun. Not as powerful as an air rifle but a few of the plastic pellets up the bum and pigeons learn to stay away. 

"Since I am a guest in this country".

Who invited you?

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

Get an upgraded bb gun. Not as powerful as an air rifle but a few of the plastic pellets up the bum and pigeons learn to stay away. 

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

"Since I am a guest in this country".

Who invited you?

Sorry you have lost me with that one. Did you copy the wrong post?

I can't see the difference between a gun for protection or a gun for assault, guns maim and kill whether they are for protection or assault and for that reason they should all be banned.

Why would any sane person want to own a gun? the only use a gun has is to kill, maim or threaten people or animals.

We are supposed to be the smartest animal on the planet and we spend far to much time wanting to kill each other and not just each other but the other animals we share the planet with as well some to the point of extinction.

As for hunting as a sport what sort of sport is that when the odds are stacked highly in favour of the hunter with his high powered assault rifle, it isn't sport it's barbaric.

There are comments on here from a poster who would happily flog people for smoking a joint but would own a gun and by owning a gun would therefore use it as there isn't any reason to own it if you don't use it.

Guns should be banned and the punishment for ownership of guns should be severe, more severe than the drug laws in my opinion.

4 hours ago, jacksam said:

Ummm perhaps you can google something like "list of countries for deaths by firearms" USA over 10 per 100k. Most other western countries about  ONE. BUT never let facts distract you.

So are you trying to say that every death by firearm is murder? Yes, people get killed by guns, but not all are murder. Not all are innocent people gunned down. I don't know what your statistics are referring to, or where you got them, but trust me, I  know the facts. 

These statistics usually include EVERY death by firearm and they require further examination.

20 minutes ago, blackcab said:

If you have Thai citizenship there is no delay in the application process. Just apply in the normal manner.

If you see the firearm you want for sale in a gun shop then it is possible to get a license for it.

In that case, do you know whether the average gun shop sells air rifles here. I thought they mainly sold hand guns (Wang Burapha district). 

31 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Sorry you have lost me with that one. Did you copy the wrong post?

No, I just thought that to be a guest anywhere you had to get invited, That's the way it is in the UK anyway.

30 minutes ago, zd1 said:

I can't see the difference between a gun for protection or a gun for assault, guns maim and kill whether they are for protection or assault and for that reason they should all be banned.

Why would any sane person want to own a gun? the only use a gun has is to kill, maim or threaten people or animals.

We are supposed to be the smartest animal on the planet and we spend far to much time wanting to kill each other and not just each other but the other animals we share the planet with as well some to the point of extinction.

As for hunting as a sport what sort of sport is that when the odds are stacked highly in favour of the hunter with his high powered assault rifle, it isn't sport it's barbaric.

There are comments on here from a poster who would happily flog people for smoking a joint but would own a gun and by owning a gun would therefore use it as there isn't any reason to own it if you don't use it.

Guns should be banned and the punishment for ownership of guns should be severe, more severe than the drug laws in my opinion.

"Why would any sane person want to own a gun?"

Um, self defense. Do you think the gun will automatically self destruct or something? I mean my grandmother carries one in her purse, as she has been for like 60 years. No need to be frightened. 

"As for hunting as a sport what sort of sport is that when the odds are stacked highly in favour of the hunter with his high powered assault rifle, it isn't sport it's barbaric."

Please, stop eating all meat from this day forward. 

At least in the US, hunting is a multifaceted deal of population control, food, and past time. Its regulated, tags are given, and there is a co-habitation going on. Personally I find it MUCH more humane to allow an animal to thrive in the wild and be killed unknowingly with a large caliber bullet through the heart, rather than be farmed its entire life and slaughtered while listening to the sounds of other animals being slaughtered. 

"We are supposed to be the smartest animal on the planet and we spend far to much time wanting to kill each other and not just each other but the other animals we share the planet with as well some to the point of extinction."

A home invader/criminal certainly won't care about your bleeding heart values. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Strange said:

Um, self defense. Do you think the gun will automatically self destruct or something? I mean my grandmother carries one in her purse, as she has been for like 60 years. No need to be frightened. 

What a strange dangerous world your grandmother lives in if she feels frightened if she doesn't have gun, self defence against what someone else with a gun, get rid of guns and you won't need one to defend yourself against someone else with one as they won't have one either, sort of breaks the loop of everybody having to have guns to defend against other people with guns.

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

Please, stop eating all meat from this day forward. 

At least in the US, hunting is a multifaceted deal of population control, food, and past time. Its regulated, tags are given, and there is a co-habitation going on. Personally I find it MUCH more humane to allow an animal to thrive in the wild and be killed unknowingly with a large caliber bullet through the heart, rather than be farmed its entire life and slaughtered while listening to the sounds of other animals being slaughtered

You seem to have the wrong end of the stick here I didn't mention killing for food as human beings we are designed to eat meat, we have meat eaters teeth after all, also by eating them you can deal with the population. I did say hunting for sport is in my opinion is wrong for instance the big game hunters who would shoot a lion or elephant in the name of sport, no that isn't sport either is hunting a fox with a pack of dogs sport no that is barbaric.

32 minutes ago, Strange said:

A home invader/criminal certainly won't care about your bleeding heart values. 

Your probably right, but I haven't had a home invader even though I must be seen as an easy target as I don't possess a gun and have absolutely no will to possess a gun.

Guns are used to kill people and killing people is wrong no matter what way you look at it.

I understand that a lot of our American friends have been brought up to believe that guns are an acceptable even an essential part of life and that I disagree with, I know that it has been indoctrinated into your society for generations and to change peoples view points on this is going to be very difficult, but we as the human race are not doing ourselves any favours by killing each other, we need to look at the future and guns don't need to be a part of that future.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonray said:

Correct. But the difference is that in America, for example, it is not illegal to own or wear unless you are a convicted felon. Here it will get you put in jail.

Unless you are rich or connected...in which case you can wear one every day !

Edited by trainman34014
spelling mistake

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

I've seen .22 rimfire but I haven't seen air rifles. I believe they exist, but for the price why not just get a shotgun?

25 minutes ago, GarryP said:

But I never said I was a guest. 

Sorry, it was the poster GarryA who said he was a guest in this country, your'e GarryP.

You can understand how easy it is to get mixed up, I hope the pair of you don't get into

a debate together, or maybe we will all get mixed up.

9 hours ago, MikeyIdea said:

Don't we mean the same thing? Statistics is frightening in the US and it is exceptionally bad when it comes to school shootings. And it is bad in many European countries too nowadays

How the US compares: The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.

End Quote

Even passive Sweden is crazy nowadays. A little half a million city like Gothenburg has nearly a hundred murders a year now, it used to be 1-2 per year in the whole country 50 years ago

I have never ever in 25 years felt threatened in Thailand. I work for an American company and my American colleagues are adamant about that there are many areas where you must not be night time because it is too dangerous

Strangely enough, the big problem doesn't seem to be the gun as such, more attitude. Sweden has strict gun control and it is going crazy anyway

"

Number One is the world in unprovoked school shootings where psychos go berserk and kill innocent students, been going on for years now and no improvement

The only way to see that attitude without crying is sarcastically, unless you're American perhaps"

3 hours ago, zd1 said:

"There are comments on here from a poster who would happily flog people for smoking a joint but would own a gun and by owning a gun would therefore use it as there isn't any reason to own it if you don't use it."  Nice.

Cheap shot pun intended.  Not happily or even personally flog.  Rather to be administered by authorities as is done in Singapore and other places for similar crimes like vandalism or spitting on the street.

Now I'll ask and no offense, are you currently on drugs or do you have a history of drug or alcohol abuse?

4 minutes ago, zd1 said:

No offence taken, i'm not on drugs except alcohol and don't have a history of drug abuse, I do however drink alcohol most days but not to excess as I don't particularly like being drunk and prefer to be in control. I do believe that the current drug laws are wrong as I believe drug addiction to be more of a medical problem than a criminal one and thus to be dealt with differently to criminal issues, but I have to accept that my views may not be that of everybody and that we should obey the law of the country we are in regardless of whether we think it right or wrong.

With guns though the only reason to own one is to shoot or kill another person or animal and I do not agree with that, I also don't get the defence excuse because if there weren't any guns there would be no need to have one for defence, it seems like a vicious circle to me and one that won't break until everybody in the world has a gun to protect themselves from other people with guns seems crazy to me.

In my opinion prohibiting guns would be far better than prohibiting drugs but the way things are in the world at present and the way prohibition of drugs hasn't worked I won't be holding my breath thinking that prohibition guns will work either, but tougher penalties for procession of fire arms may deter people from wanting one and I think less guns in this world would be a good thing. 

As I said in a previous post our American friends have been brought up to believe that gun ownership is a right and it has been indoctrinated into their culture going back generations I personally disagree with this but I do understand that to change this way of thinking will be very difficult if not damn near impossible.

I appreciate your reply and agree with much of it.  Albeit the "gun Issue" is complex.  I am a vegetarian, aspiring Buddhist gun owner advocate.  In the right hands guns save lives.  However in the current mass insanity epidemic I'm not sure what to think anymore.  I usually "carried" when I lived in the states.  Saved my life onetime in an isolated gas station outside of Vegas late at night.

Reality is "the whole thing " is going to hell in a hand basket.

My friends in laws up in Issan have a couple of nice guns.  Going to spend the next month up there.  Looking forward to clean them up and get some rust out of the barrels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joeyg said:

I appreciate your reply and agree with much of it.  Albeit the "gun Issue" is complex.  I am a vegetarian, aspiring Buddhist gun owner advocate.  In the right hands guns save lives.  However in the current mass insanity epidemic I'm not sure what to think anymore.  I usually "carried" when I lived in the states.  Saved my life onetime in an isolated gas station outside of Vegas late at night.

Reality is "the whole thing " is going to hell in a hand basket.

My friends in laws up in Issan have a couple of nice guns.  Going to spend the next month up there.  Looking forward to clean them up and get some rust out of the barrels.

I don't mean to offend you and am sorry if I have your right the gun issue is complex but I have trouble getting my head around in the right hands guns save lives, what by taking lives, I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree on this point.

I also agree with you on the current mass insanity epidemic that is threatening to destroy the world as we know it, but I can't understand the need to get everybody armed to protect themselves from other armed people.

I'm glad that your in laws have guns with rusty barrels as that indicates that they don't use them which is good, just one step away from not needing them.

On a side note and not meaning to offend i'm not sure what the lord Buddha would think about gun ownership.

I liked this topic but can't be bothered to read all the USA this and that stories. This is Thailand after all.

In Chinatown you 'll find about any gun/rifle for sale, they even expose them on the streets outside their shop.

So a bb-gun/rifle is legal for ANYbody in Thailand if i understood it all well? Those things who can shoot plastic balls i mean.

Yes they look very real and even like war-weapons but are still airsoft guns which shoot plastic balls. I think i'll buy one of those to play with.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

So a BB-gun/rifle is legal for ANYbody in Thailand if i understood it all well? Those things who can shoot plastic balls i mean.

Yes they look very real and even like war-weapons but are still air-soft guns which shoot plastic balls. I think i'll buy one of those to play with.

Yes they are legal but seriously don't walk down the street with it unless it's in a viola case. :laugh:

They can upgraded to be very powerful than standard. 

Many negative comments here for & against IMO.

Surely people posting understand guns are enjoyed by many people as a hobby

l enjoyed going clay shooting with my sons & daughters & friends in England.

I can get the use of a gun in Thailand if l wanted but only a revolver or a pistol which l prefer and because it's not really mine l don't want.

To go clay shooting in Thailand is difficult & expensive so sadly l don't bother.

I compensate by having a air-rifle which l enjoy and have made metal pop up targets on our farmland.

My favourite is Archery l would say a bow & arrow are just as deadly as a gun but there's no problem owning them here.

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes they are legal but seriously don't walk down the street with it unless it's in a viola case. :laugh:

They can upgraded to be very powerful than standard. 

Many negative comments here for & against IMO.

Surely people posting understand guns are enjoyed by many people as a hobby

l enjoyed going clay shooting with my sons & daughters & friends in England.

I can get the use of a gun in Thailand if l wanted but only a revolver or a pistol which l prefer and because it's not really mine l don't want.

To go clay shooting in Thailand is difficult & expensive so sadly l don't bother.

I compensate by having a air-rifle which l enjoy and have made metal pop up targets on our farmland.

My favourite is Archery l would say a bow & arrow are just as deadly as a gun but there's no problem owning them here.

Is that a crossbow or a longbow?

11 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Is that a crossbow or a longbow?

Apologies to make it clear l should of said Longbow & Arrow,   a Crossbow fires bolts/quarrels and although bow yes it is not normally classed l believe as in the sport and skill of Archery it's a weapon.

My bow is called a Recurve Bow, there's Longbows usually called Traditional Bows & Rebound Bows.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=recurve+bow+types&espv=2&biw=1094&bih=523&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit-Jn0g4fQAhWDu48KHX6EBKsQsAQIOA&dpr=1.25

• Like 1