Would i get into Thailand with a tattoo machine and is it possible to work for a couple of days while on my trip

Hi

I'm self employed and wondering if it's possible for me to work for 2 or 3 days on my trips to Thailand. I visit 2 times a year at the moment  (would like it to be more) and I'm wondering how it would work out for me if i was to bring a tattoo machine and needles through customs. I understand the complications of owning a business in thailand but I'm not doing that. I have a business in uk and would just like to work on a couple of clients in thailand during my visits. Thanks in advance ?

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about bringing the machine into the country. Perhaps do some research on the customs website here: http://en.customs.go.th/index.php?lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage

To legally work you need a work permit. But what is done in a private setting probably would never be noticed.

Yeah I was kind of thinking about that but worried about the equipment getting confiscated I'll have a look at the link thank you 

54 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about bringing the machine into the country. Perhaps do some research on the customs website here: http://en.customs.go.th/index.php?lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage

To legally work you need a work permit. But what is done in a private setting probably would never be noticed.

If you work online, it wouldn't. When giving people tattoo's they tend to talk to everyone where they got it and for how much.

I nearly got into trouble with the customs in Chiang Mai when I tried to bring in an airbrush kit, they told me under no circumstances should I be bringing it in to Thailand. The main reason was that it showed pictures of ladies on the box getting face painting. I only wanted to bring it in for my hobby and my wife explained to the customs and I had some duty to pay. Permanent tattoos would be classed a lot worse than face painting. So I guess the answer would be NO.

• Like 1

Is it legal, no.

Is it possible? Yes, just hand carry everything, customs never check hand carry bags unless you have a splashy " LV " or "Channel" shopping bag. If you put it in the suit case, its just a matter of luck if custom will randomly pick you. If its a small suitcase, then highly unlikely they will check you.

If they search your hand carry bag, then you look suspicious to the customs.

• Like 1

you dont have a work permit , why would you want to take such a machine and risk having it confiscated by customs and also possibly be denied entry by immigration.

In case you are NOT aware................there are a lot of tattoo parlours in Thailand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Americano555 said:

It's OK,,,,,,,,,, "If The Clients------------> are your friends....... = free.

How do you explain the reason for bringing the machine into the country.................it is a machine that is used for a commercial purpose. 
I dont think they will accept ......."its for personal use only" as a valid reason  to have the machine.

dont forget ...your bags will be x rayed several times on your travels...........do you really think it wont get noticed and then questions asked.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Americano555 said:

It's OK,,,,,,,,,, "If The Clients------------> are your friends....... = free.

Whether you are working for free or charging is irrelevant. If it's considered work, it's illegal. If your friends want to get tattoos and they get them for free, someone who is working legally here is being deprived of business.

Even if you perform some work for a charity, it would be illegal without a work permit or some concession granted before hand.

As others have said, it's quite possible the O/P could get away with it, but there's still a small chance that he would be caught and regret ever doing it.

54 minutes ago, jgd1004 said:

Thanks for the replies. Seems a risk bringing the machine in so I wouldn't do that, but there are a fair amount of non thais work in thailand so maybe applying for a work permit may be the way forward.

Which means you would be setting up a business unless you can find someone willing to hire you for a few days work along with all the hassle that would involve. Really think you should forget about it.

1 hour ago, jgd1004 said:

Thanks for the replies. Seems a risk bringing the machine in so I wouldn't do that, but there are a fair amount of non thais work in thailand so maybe applying for a work permit may be the way forward.

I don't have the list of prohibited jobs, but I think tattoo's would be on it, as it is something Thais can do themselves.

Just a thought...Tourist get tattoos here because they are cheap or cheaper than home. Not sure you will like the low prices unless you are a well known artist and willing to do a show. If that's the case you might try to make some kind of arrangement with a local artist to put on a show & demo.  Then get a Non-B visa with their invitation as an "expert", pay 3000B for the work permit and hope people come to see you. The shop actually hires you that way and you make your arrangements with them on payment.  You're also legal too. This is just one possibility.  Another is to come in as a tourist and make an agreement with a local shop and go from there.

• Like 1

The Immigration Laws are pretty much the same around the world.  You come in on a Tourist Visa and now you want to work a bit even if it is for a few days.  Ask yourself, is it really worth it although the % in Thailand, you won't be caught?  Then you got to return and maybe just maybe Immigration might inspect your bag since you are returning and ask you why and where you got the equipment?  Will they let it go knowing you traveled on a tourist and did work?

Why bother are you starving?

As most po's have said,deffo  not without a wp,however if you are lucky enough to get the machine and needles through customs,there is another small problem.Be careful if you work from your place of stay or a hidden shop.If who you are tattooing,because some people,Thais and ferangs,have big gobs,and a mention as to where they got the tat from could reach the wrong ears.If you are grassed (and there is a reward for this) you are really down the Suwanee.

Just be discreet and know and trust your customers.One small mistake on the the tat,or anything the customer is not happy with,you will find yourself in a world of pain.

Good luck with that.

• 3 years later...