Micro Photography Test

rhythmworx

I got bored and decided to smash 2 old filters I never use and secured them together. This allowed me to couple 2 lenses together, the one on the front being a reversed 50mm.

The 2 filters were 16mm in length total, I'm not sure if they work in the same way extension tubes do when between lenses.

Grabbed a 100 baht note and put the camera on a tripod pointing down.

1st shot is on a 105mm, I think at f5.6 and reversed 50  f2.8 focussed to infinity where it stayed for this boring test.  This is 2:1 magnification

DSC_2653-1_zpsvw4ejx0a.jpg

2nd one was on a 135mm at f3.5 and the 50 at f2.8.  This is 2.7:1 magnification

DSC_2654-1_zps17iz5llp.jpg

Next was a 200mm at f4, the 50mm at 2.8 again, This is 4:1 magnification

DSC_2657-1_zpszemyvykx.jpg

Then in the words of Seal I decided we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy.

So I grabbed a 2x teleconverter I picked up for 300 baht and slapped it on the back of the 200mm and reversed 50 at which point I smeared my hands on the filter that guards the rear element.

Focussing is probably near micron range...call it rail territory if you like.  The blur is probably not due to the finger grease, the plane of focus is off I guess.

At this point I written an early letter to santa asking for some vouchers for xmas.

2:1 mag = 12mm fills the sensor width

8:1 mag = 3mm

This is 8:1 magnification,

DSC_2659-1_zps4ppqpqo9.jpg

Just testing macro capabilities at varying magnifications using a reversed lens added to the end of various other lenses.

My next step is to find a dead insect and focus stack,, or shoot an ant dining on sugar etc...

When I get hold of the 24mm lens it will go upto 16:1 magnification, so a subject 1.5mm wide will fill the frame.

Archived