I lost 2Kg in one month - its not much ?

Once Bitten

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

From day one of my new diet plan '' all ''  of the above food / drink  items were completely omitted ,  so in my simplistic mind surely just not eating all of theses above foods / drinks , alone should have even without the daily one hour treadmill routine , produced better weight loss results .

Now, every dieter thinks he should be having faster results. ;) But I'd say you're just lucky you aren't continuing to gain. That's a big advance right there to be thankful for.

Without going into detail that would prompt a hijacking of the topic with haggles and niggles, let it be said simplistically that when your body realizes it ain't gettin' fatter, it figures it better hoard what it already has, and make even better use of what fat-producing junk it is  getting.

All metabolisms are different and getting fat also changes your metabolism in negative ways from which recovery isn't so easy. Even if you got slim again, you'd probably find it easier to get fat again than you did in the first place.

Good news is that dieting, esp. low carb, and intermittent fasting if you go that route get easier over time and you won't miss the sugar & starch at all, even marvel you used to eat that stuff. I've seen near miracles accomplished. I've seen a Thai give up rice! ;)

5 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Thanks JSixpack for the comments and ideas .

The low fat yogurts is some thing I’m now going to think about .

Now here’s what I’m now wondering about .......:smile:

Before I started my current diet my regular daily food consumption included (  in no particular order  ) ....

potato crisps  
packet sweets
pizza
chocolates
biscuits
normal sweet yogurts
bacon
pasta
assorted fired foods
white rice
cakes  
sugary pop
cans of normal coke
red wine
beer
cheddar cheese
blue cheese
mayonnaise
ice creme
fried chips
Kellogg frosties cornflakes
Indian  curries
KFC takeaway
McDonalds burgers
white bread
mango fruit
toast & jam
chicken fried rice  
mashed potato
fried eggs
cheese omelets

From day one of my new diet plan '' all ''  of the above food / drink  items were completely omitted ,  so in my simplistic mind surely just not eating all of theses above foods / drinks , alone should have even without the daily one hour treadmill routine , produced better weight loss results .

Its not like that ive omitted all the above foods / drinks and replaced them with alternative items that are similar . ( apart from now removing the low fat yogurts ).

Also ive reduced my meals to smaller portions , and I don’t eat after 6 pm.

what am I missing :sad:

I should mention that bacon, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and cheese omelets are permitted under low-carb. Mayo's OK. McDonald's burger--don't eat the bread, scrape off the sauce (sugar). :) Sounds counter-intuitive but read up on Atkins and you'll see. Now that doesn't mean pig out but normally you won't want to as you'll start feeling full w/ reasonable portions. Give up alcohol for a couple of weeks if you can (!) then add in a shot of whiskey or glass of wine once or twice a week. Add in more after you're down to target weight.

14 minutes ago, MikeLikesU said:

Jeez.

As far as MacDonald's is concerned...

If you don't eat the bun and you scrape off the sauce, then you are pretty much left with a lump of coal.

Ha! That's about right, ain't it? :smile: I sometimes have to go w/ friends to a burger joint and like to watch them try to ignore my hamburger eating technique of gradually manipulating the meat & topping out from the bun to eat only that. Or sometimes I'll take off the top piece of bread and eat the rest but of course have to grasp the meat & topping and try to keep it together--a bit messy. Well, I take dieting seriously most of the time; it's paid off.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:43 AM, Peterw42 said:

I think the OP has it right. Loosing weight at the rate he probably put it on.

The strict "no carbs" diets result in rapid weight loss, but as soon as you reintroduce cards, it usually comes straight back.

So why reintroduce carbs?

By the time you've lost the weight you're weaned off the sugar addiction and don't need it any more, and don't miss it. (Welllllllll, OK, I do have a bite of a piece of pizza occasionally)

Jeez.
As far as MacDonald's is concerned...
If you don't eat the bun and you scrape off the sauce, then you are pretty much left with a lump of coal.

Ha ha and your return on your investment is pretty poor

Sent from my zumo using Tapatalk

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, Once Bitten said:

Hi and thanks for the advice , information  and encouragement

As some one who has never ever really thought about eating healthily or exercising in the past , changing my current lifestyle by altering my diet and adding my new daily treadmill routine , has been a bit of a shock to my system. Having said that I can all ready feel the physical benefits like not feeling so tired during the day , with more energy and vitality .

So am I deluding my self in some diet related way , well possibly where I have had the odd biscuit  when my craving for sweet things takes hold once again  ( pre diet a Kit Kat and big biscuit fan ) .

As for the  ‘’ You need to cut out all the rice, bread, oats, potatoes, and pasta ‘’ ,  that's a good point that I’m going to now fix .

So for  ‘’ I bet you're eating fruits ‘’  , yes I’m guilt of still eating the following -

1. Apples
2. Bananas
3. Papaya

Another current favorite I eat a lot of is  ,  carrots , but I’m not keen on honey .

My go to when I’m craving for some thing extra sweet is yogurts ( 0% fat ) on average 4 a day .

I still have several mug’s of tea throughout the day , with low fat milk .

I have in the past briefly looked at the 5:2 diet , but I’m now going to look into it again .

I can tolerate and in some cases really enjoy some of my current diet foods , but one area that I am looking for some thing more , is a replacement for my past un healthy sweet snacks , at the moments I can only think of yogurts , so some thing else that will help my cravings for a sweet snack , but that's going to fit in with my current diet plan would be nice.

Ive got this far for the first time in my life , and I’m not about to give up now.

When 'snacking' I eat sausages, cheese, boiled eggs, and drink some milk (full fat).

Edit: definitely cut out the bananas, not sure about the papaya, apples not too bad but it seems like you're still eating too many carbs preventing the diet from being effective?

25 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So why reintroduce carbs?

By the time you've lost the weight you're weaned off the sugar addiction and don't need it any more, and don't miss it. (Welllllllll, OK, I do have a bite of a piece of pizza occasionally)

Its not until you go on a low carb diet, that you realize just how many carbs you eat and how addictive some are. I have done the strict aitkins diet and the weight loss is amazing, 5+ kilos a week. The down sides,  I found myself feeling very flat and even a little depressed, such is the craving for carbs. Also, because you are eating a lot more fat, cheese, meat etc, you need to loose the weight before your arteries clog up, lol. 

Its great to get you started and give you incentive, but not great in the long term. 

At some stage when you reintroduce good carbs, bread, potatoes, fruit, cereal etc, the weight can come back quickly.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Its not until you go on a low carb diet, that you realize just how many carbs you eat and how addictive some are. I have done the strict aitkins diet and the weight loss is amazing, 5+ kilos a week. The down sides,  I found myself feeling very flat and even a little depressed, such is the craving for carbs. Also, because you are eating a lot more fat, cheese, meat etc, you need to loose the weight before your arteries clog up, lol. 

Its great to get you started and give you incentive, but not great in the long term. 

At some stage when you reintroduce bread, potatoes, fruit etc, the weight can can back.

Again, why reintroduce the bread, potatoes, fruit, etc.??

Especially if you know you're going to re-gain weight that you don't want!!

It's a change in dietary lifestyle that's needed to keep the weight off, not a return to the endless cycles of lose, re-gain, lose, re-gain, lose, re-gain...............

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Again, why reintroduce the bread, potatoes, fruit, etc.??

Especially if you know you're going to re-gain weight that you don't want!!

It's a change in dietary lifestyle that's needed to keep the weight off, not a return to the endless cycles of lose, re-gain, lose, re-gain, lose, re-gain...............

Ok, I reintroduce the Carbs because I am weak, Chocolate, Pizza, Bread, cigarettes, cute bar girls, I cant help myself, lol

Thanks to every one for the comments and advice , they are much appreciated.

As a new comer to the world of weight loss , the whole subject now seems to be one I need to learn a lot more about , and looks like not only first getting my eating habits just right , but to provide a continuing diet menu that not only has the desired effects , but will not dampen my enthusiasm to carry on .

Now giving up all most every thing Ive enjoyed to the full in the past has not been as difficult as I originally thought it would be , having said that I do miss some things on my current prohibited food list , but even at this early diet stage I can now feel some physical benefits coming from the current diet + exercise.

This whole starting a diet thing was prompted by having a health checkup , before that , I knew that I was over weight , but I considered my self not to be obese, just in my mind that I could do with loosing a few pounds , but the constant enjoyment that my daily pre diet food consumption provided , seemed to over come and subdue my concerns of loosing a few pounds in weight and any possible future health concerns.   

After reading some comments , I now see that the loosing weight journey will I hope be successful and I reach my new weight goal , but then what next , how do I balance the fact that I have reached my desired weight range , but at the same time stop my self from falling back into old bad food habits and what that would do .

This following thought is aimed at the older person , in my conversations with other pensioner foreigners at my local watering hole , where I now sit drinking a diet coke , several have commented that at my age ( 67 ) yes I should be thinking about trying to stay as health as possible , but after they saw the list ( which I had printed out ) of the things that I was now giving up Vs my current can have food list , the general consensus was that I should be enjoying life to the full , and that in their eyes this meant virtually eating and drinking all things that I enjoy and give me pleasure , weather or not they were considered bad for my health , I think their idea was you are not getting any younger , so enjoy your self while you can.

So as one friend pointed out , to stay as health as possible , you continually go on a diet and exercise  , finally you reach your goal weight , you then continue to spend the coming years trying to stay at the same hard to reach weight and the endless cycle of giving up the majority of the foods / drinks you really love starts all over again , then you get run over by a bus , and as you look down from the pearly gates at your grave stone inscription , you can clearly see the words , 

He gave up all for a long life
only to be taken early by a bus

:smile:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:13 AM, Once Bitten said:

Well another month gone by so I thought I would update my progress .

Spurred on by comments here I continued my new same eating habits and daily treadmill routine  in hopeful anticipation of seeing some more weight reduction results that would at least keep my spirits up and show me that my continuing efforts and sacrifices are having the desired results.

Well to day the 1st of a new month I did my once a month weight check ( at the same early morning time as last month ) .

As I stepped on to the digital bathroom scales  I looked straight ahead avoiding looking down at the digital readout , with a happy smile on my face in anticipation of improved results after another month , I then asked my wife standing next to me how many Kilos had I lost .:smile:

As soon as she said , your doing ok  ,  I knew by her tone of voice that the results were not what I was hoping for .

Start of new diet and exercise plan - Weight 82.1 kg

1st month on the new diet and exercise plan - weight 80.5 kg

One month later on the new diet and exercise plan - weight 79.7 kg

May be its still early days , but not very encouraging :sad:

I think that is good steady weight loss.  That extra weight did not get added on in two months and it will take longer that that to come off. 1.2 kg per month is healthy and steady, if you want more loss tweak the program (15 minutes longer on the treadmill or the same amount of time at a slightly higher speed), or watch the food intake a little better, or a little of both.  Look at it this way, you are losing 1.2 kg per month. After 12 months (at this rate) you will weigh 67.7 kg.

Im 67-69kg, i say that because my weight can litterally fluctuate that much in 24 hours. 

It does sound like you are doing something wrong.

And dont chuck the scales, you need to monitor or you have no frame of reference, but dont obsess. 

I generally stand on the scale twice a day - morning and night, and adjust diet or exercise as needed. I eat healthy, but do not restrict myself, a big steak and fries or lasagna is fine a couple times a week, just need to make it up in between. 

12 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

This following thought is aimed at the older person , in my conversations with other pensioner foreigners at my local watering hole , where I now sit drinking a diet coke , several have commented that at my age ( 67 ) yes I should be thinking about trying to stay as health as possible , but after they saw the list ( which I had printed out ) of the things that I was now giving up Vs my current can have food list , the general consensus was that I should be enjoying life to the full , and that in their eyes this meant virtually eating and drinking all things that I enjoy and give me pleasure , weather or not they were considered bad for my health , I think their idea was you are not getting any younger , so enjoy your self while you can.

So as one friend pointed out , to stay as health as possible , you continually go on a diet and exercise  , finally you reach your goal weight , you then continue to spend the coming years trying to stay at the same hard to reach weight and the endless cycle of giving up the majority of the foods / drinks you really love starts all over again , then you get run over by a bus , and as you look down from the pearly gates at your grave stone inscription , you can clearly see the words , 

He gave up all for a long life
only to be taken early by a bus

:smile:

I'm a bit similar to you, but my weight dropped more quickly, maybe because I cycled daily (20kph+) so more intense than walking. A few times my weight would barely change for a couple of weeks and then the next week off came a couple of kgs.

I lost the weight by mostly stopping the same things you have, and I've kept it off with very few fluctuations despite now having the occasional ice-cream, pastry etc. Eventually you lose that urge to have a few beers with a couple of packets of crisps, having pizza only if someone else wants one and then just a couple of slices, that sort of thing. As mentioned, the change of diet while not causing you to lose much weight so far, has certainly stopped you from gaining any more. At only eighty kgs you can't expect to lose five kgs in a week, because most people who do started off being a lot heavier than eighty kgs. I had a modest target weight five years ago and that is what I still am today. I could easily lose another three kgs and be even better but I don't want to cut out every single thing I like and I don't do as much cycling as I should but health-wise I'm okay.

The problem with enjoying yourself at retirement age and eating everything in sight because you are closer to the end of your life than the start is this.

The person who eats anything they want may well still live to a similar age, but those last thirty years are far more likely to be spent on medication for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. as well as more likely to not be able to walk down to the shops or up a couple of flights of stairs without puffing and wheezing. I see these guys who complain about their latest medication having this and that side effect so I'm pretty happy I don't so far fall into that category. The person who watches their diet and exercises a bit will likely spend less of their last thirty years at the doctors, and will still be able to do the physical things they want into their eighties. Yes, I used to say the could get hit by a bus tomorrow thing but that's really only trying to justify a poor lifestyle.

btw one item I didn't see on your list that people ignore is fruit juice. Many people drink it by the litre thinking it's better for you than Coke but it's usually just as high in sugar if you read the labels.

13 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

how do I balance the fact that I have reached my desired weight range , but at the same time stop my self from falling back into old bad food habits and what that would do .

That's not so difficult w/ a low-carb diet and hence it has best rate of continued compliance. You don't miss so much what you've given up 'cause you're no longer addicted. It becomes second nature. You'll see if you continue. Meanwhile, you're feeling good. :)

Kinda like talking to fellow alcoholics and suggesting giving up alcohol. Wanna believe them or the recovered alcoholics?

I heard that exact argument from an obese woman when I pointed out she might give up constant snacking on Reese's peanut butter cups from the bag kept by her recliner at all times. So then I guess she did die happy a few years later in her 60s. In fact she now rests in an elevated old church graveyard from which she happens to have a distant view of her fave discount department store where she bought the bags of Reese's. Her family & friends sure missed her though.

Now, me, I'd say that her last years weren't all that happy owing to her many infirmities brought on by her weight & metabolic syndrome. You know, the diabetes, high blood pressure, the cholesterol, knee replacements, problems getting up & around, continual doctor visits. In fact she had another bag beside her: a big bag of pills to swallow daily. In the end she left nothing behind but a huge amount of debt. Nonetheless she did think it all worth it for the good eating. She wasn't hit by no bus anyway: that would've required walking. :smile:

Saw an overweight old guy in Makro the other day having to shop and rest on his shopping cart. It shouldn't have been necessary at all. Didn't look like he was enjoying himself at all; on the contrary.

Well, I'm not sure you have a list that highlights the appeal of what you can have. In general,

Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
    Fatty Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
    Eggs: The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched or pastured.
    Low-Carb Vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
    Full-Fat Dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yoghurt.
    Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
    Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.

--https://authoritynutrition.com/atkins-diet-101/

And getting more specific, read here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foodshttps://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods.

And start hanging out here: http://www.lowcarbsite.com/ and here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Lots of resources out there.

Once bitten you are on the right track and just to give you some more encouragement consider the following

By now you should notice your pants are getting loser,less belly fat.

If you would only diet you will lose weight.

If you also exercise you will build muscle and muscle weighs more then fat,so the scale does not really help

but the mirror should.Take a picture of yourself each month and try to see the difference.

Measure you legs and do that again one month from now,if they get bigger and you are still losing weight you are doing good!

Have you tried walking outside?Maybe try to start jogging?

Keep up the good work!

20 hours ago, Ahab said:

I think that is good steady weight loss.  That extra weight did not get added on in two months and it will take longer that that to come off. 1.2 kg per month is healthy and steady, if you want more loss tweak the program (15 minutes longer on the treadmill or the same amount of time at a slightly higher speed), or watch the food intake a little better, or a little of both.  Look at it this way, you are losing 1.2 kg per month. After 12 months (at this rate) you will weigh 67.7 kg.

Thanks for the comments , I keep thinking about my weight not being added within two months like you point out and 1.2 kg a month is healthy and steady . :smile:

19 hours ago, HooHaa said:

Im 67-69kg, i say that because my weight can litterally fluctuate that much in 24 hours. 

It does sound like you are doing something wrong.

And dont chuck the scales, you need to monitor or you have no frame of reference, but dont obsess. 

I generally stand on the scale twice a day - morning and night, and adjust diet or exercise as needed. I eat healthy, but do not restrict myself, a big steak and fries or lasagna is fine a couple times a week, just need to make it up in between. 

The part  ‘’ It does sound like you are doing something wrong ‘’  is interesting and some thing ive commented on before , yes I’m afraid that this diet thing could be getting a bit obsessive , but could that in the end be a positive or negative thing :whistling:

7 hours ago, kkerry said:

I'm a bit similar to you, but my weight dropped more quickly, maybe because I cycled daily (20kph+) so more intense than walking. A few times my weight would barely change for a couple of weeks and then the next week off came a couple of kgs.

I lost the weight by mostly stopping the same things you have, and I've kept it off with very few fluctuations despite now having the occasional ice-cream, pastry etc. Eventually you lose that urge to have a few beers with a couple of packets of crisps, having pizza only if someone else wants one and then just a couple of slices, that sort of thing. As mentioned, the change of diet while not causing you to lose much weight so far, has certainly stopped you from gaining any more. At only eighty kgs you can't expect to lose five kgs in a week, because most people who do started off being a lot heavier than eighty kgs. I had a modest target weight five years ago and that is what I still am today. I could easily lose another three kgs and be even better but I don't want to cut out every single thing I like and I don't do as much cycling as I should but health-wise I'm okay.

The problem with enjoying yourself at retirement age and eating everything in sight because you are closer to the end of your life than the start is this.

The person who eats anything they want may well still live to a similar age, but those last thirty years are far more likely to be spent on medication for diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc. as well as more likely to not be able to walk down to the shops or up a couple of flights of stairs without puffing and wheezing. I see these guys who complain about their latest medication having this and that side effect so I'm pretty happy I don't so far fall into that category. The person who watches their diet and exercises a bit will likely spend less of their last thirty years at the doctors, and will still be able to do the physical things they want into their eighties. Yes, I used to say the could get hit by a bus tomorrow thing but that's really only trying to justify a poor lifestyle.

btw one item I didn't see on your list that people ignore is fruit juice. Many people drink it by the litre thinking it's better for you than Coke but it's usually just as high in sugar if you read the labels.

kkerry , thanks for sharing your experiences, some sound ideas and thoughts on this subject. I had read about fruit juices and their sugar content, so juices were omitted from my current diet list .

I especially like your comment ...

The person who watches their diet and exercises a bit will likely spend less of their last thirty years at the doctors, and will still be able to do the physical things they want into their eighties.

Certainly makes a good case for watching what you eat / drink.

Sorry could not help my self :biggrin:

OldMan1.jpg

7 hours ago, JSixpack said:

That's not so difficult w/ a low-carb diet and hence it has best rate of continued compliance. You don't miss so much what you've given up 'cause you're no longer addicted. It becomes second nature. You'll see if you continue. Meanwhile, you're feeling good. :)

Kinda like talking to fellow alcoholics and suggesting giving up alcohol. Wanna believe them or the recovered alcoholics?

I heard that exact argument from an obese woman when I pointed out she might give up constant snacking on Reese's peanut butter cups from the bag kept by her recliner at all times. So then I guess she did die happy a few years later in her 60s. In fact she now rests in an elevated old church graveyard from which she happens to have a distant view of her fave discount department store where she bought the bags of Reese's. Her family & friends sure missed her though.

Now, me, I'd say that her last years weren't all that happy owing to her many infirmities brought on by her weight & metabolic syndrome. You know, the diabetes, high blood pressure, the cholesterol, knee replacements, problems getting up & around, continual doctor visits. In fact she had another bag beside her: a big bag of pills to swallow daily. In the end she left nothing behind but a huge amount of debt. Nonetheless she did think it all worth it for the good eating. She wasn't hit by no bus anyway: that would've required walking. :smile:

Saw an overweight old guy in Makro the other day having to shop and rest on his shopping cart. It shouldn't have been necessary at all. Didn't look like he was enjoying himself at all; on the contrary.

Well, I'm not sure you have a list that highlights the appeal of what you can have. In general,

Meats: Beef, pork, lamb, chicken, bacon and others.
    Fatty Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, sardines, etc.
    Eggs: The healthiest eggs are Omega-3 enriched or pastured.
    Low-Carb Vegetables: Kale, spinach, broccoli, asparagus and others.
    Full-Fat Dairy: Butter, cheese, cream, full-fat yoghurt.
    Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, etc.
    Healthy Fats: Extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocados and avocado oil.

--https://authoritynutrition.com/atkins-diet-101/

And getting more specific, read here: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/foodshttps://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/atkins-20/phase-1/low-carb-foods.

And start hanging out here: http://www.lowcarbsite.com/ and here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/

Lots of resources out there.

JSixpack , again another insightful and informative post that puts things into a good understandable perspective and only goes to boosts my enthusiasm to learn more and carry on , I’m going to check out all the links you provided , and your highlights list looks interesting .

Thanks again .:thumbsup:

Ps  Once Ive reached my diet / health goal , any thoughts how I can stop Dr Alzheimer's ghost from knocking at my door  :shock1:

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

Ps  Once Ive reached my diet / health goal , any thoughts how I can stop Dr Alzheimer's ghost from knocking at my door  :shock1:

The good effects of diet & exercise seem to be the best known preventatives at present, so keep it up and you should postpone it commensurate with the extra years added to your life at least, perhaps miss out on it altogether. The other thing that stands out is keeping mentally active. Active. Consider video games as they've been proven good for your brain.

Yeah, even an old fart can play and should. (Pattaya's kinda like a video game in some ways, I must say. I've sharpened my Beach Road crossing skills virtually.)

59 here, retired and play games 2-3 hours everyday. My father is 83 and is finishing up FONV and playing Black Ops 111 single player. He is waiting for Fallout 4 to drop, then he will be busy for the rest of this year and next with mods. He has close to 500 hrs in FONV. He has over 200 games on steam.

acairman, 11-09-2015, 12:32, How many old farts here stil play pc games?

Cool grandmom: Meet YouTube's 79-Year-Old Grandma Gamer. Hey--The Skyrim Special Edition just came out. :) Forum thread on getting started (with a console): Where to Start?

Readable summary of what's known about possibly preventing or postponing Alz: Preventing Alzheimer's.

• 2 weeks later...

OP:  I noticed oats were on your first post list of foods.  You also say you want to get your cholesterol down.  Amongst other foods, oats in research studies have been shown to reduce body cholesterol.  My favourite meal of the day are porridge oats.  Up to you of course if you want to omit them.  I'm your age, and like I said upthread, I managed to get my cholesterol down and it may be that oats were one item that managed to do that.  

On December 3, 2559 BE at 2:07 PM, Once Bitten said:

Thanks for the comment , some thing I did not realize :sad:

What happened was that there was a big "no fat" movement many years ago and they took the fat out of many foods, like yogurt, but what they found was that it tasted awful and so they added sugar... and it is the sugar that really puts on weight and most of the sugars they use now are made in laboratories, not natural, and they say these sugars are 8x more addictive than cocaine, so, tough to shake...

I read your other post too about your friends and discussing quality of life. The reference is usually to the passengers who skipped desert the night the Titanic went down. 

All that said, I have had the same battles which often feel to be losing efforts as after reaching goals, the weight comes back. The best diet for losing weight was probably the adtkins, trying to eliminate all carbs... but with the richness of meat in the diet, I think it brought on a small bout of gout and I dropped the diet and back came the weight.

No solutions here, just sympathy as I battle similar issues... good luck and I would look at the treadmill as a separate thing from diet. It may help you to not gain some weight and the added benefits of fitness will help your health in general... even if it only helps a little in losing weight...

1 hour ago, Taggart said:

OP:  I noticed oats were on your first post list of foods.  You also say you want to get your cholesterol down.  Amongst other foods, oats in research studies have been shown to reduce body cholesterol.  My favourite meal of the day are porridge oats.  Up to you of course if you want to omit them.  I'm your age, and like I said upthread, I managed to get my cholesterol down and it may be that oats were one item that managed to do that.  

There are oats and then there are oats.

Best are the less processed ones that require proper cooking e.g. Bob's Red Mill, the Scottish brands.

Steel cut are considered the premium variety but take the most preparation time.

Next are the quick cooking varieties. The brand you see everywhere is Quakers which are okay.

Instant oats are also okay but if you're used to slow cooking oats you will really notice the difference.

The oats to avoid are the instant type with added flavors like cinnamon, blueberry etc.

They can taste good but if you read the packet note the sugar percentage compared to the above types  :shock1:

Prices for the better quality oats can be expensive in Thailand, but if you're ever in Singapore the prices there are much cheaper.

The BRM below are SGD4.20 for 907g, two to three times more expensive at Villa last time I looked.

Two minutes in the micro-wave, let stand for a further two to three minutes. 

Not quite as good as steel cut but simpler to prepare.

I stock-up when I have spare room in my case...

Oats22.JPG

On 13/11/2016 at 9:00 AM, KittenKong said:

So I started the 5:2 diet and that seems to work well and is easy to follow. I'm losing between 1 and 2kg per month which is fine for me. I now weigh 103kg (down from 106kg) and ideally should lose about 5-10kg more. So in a few months I should get there.

For the first time in two decades, this morning I weigh under 102kg (101.9 to be exact). I am very satisfied particularly as I am not aware of depriving myself in any way, and I continue to eat all the things I like and which other diets insist I should avoid.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:12 PM, kkerry said:

Two minutes in the micro-wave, let stand for a further two to three minutes. 

Not quite as good as steel cut but simpler to prepare.

Common misconception is that you need to cook rolled oats. You don't. Notice they aren't cooked in muesli.

I think you'll find no difference nutritionally between steel cut and the rest.

Ground flax seed > oat bran > oatmeal

On 12/4/2559 at 9:56 PM, JSixpack said:

The good effects of diet & exercise seem to be the best known preventatives at present, so keep it up and you should postpone it commensurate with the extra years added to your life at least, perhaps miss out on it altogether. The other thing that stands out is keeping mentally active. Active. Consider video games as they've been proven good for your brain.

Yeah, even an old fart can play and should. (Pattaya's kinda like a video game in some ways, I must say. I've sharpened my Beach Road crossing skills virtually.)

59 here, retired and play games 2-3 hours everyday. My father is 83 and is finishing up FONV and playing Black Ops 111 single player. He is waiting for Fallout 4 to drop, then he will be busy for the rest of this year and next with mods. He has close to 500 hrs in FONV. He has over 200 games on steam.

acairman, 11-09-2015, 12:32, How many old farts here stil play pc games?

Cool grandmom: Meet YouTube's 79-Year-Old Grandma Gamer. Hey--The Skyrim Special Edition just came out. :) Forum thread on getting started (with a console): Where to Start?

Readable summary of what's known about possibly preventing or postponing Alz: Preventing Alzheimer's.

Thanks for the comments on how I can stop Dr Alzheimer's ghost from knocking at my door .

For some time now I seem to be forgetting things , I get up from my computer desk with the intention to go and do some thing / look for some thing /  carry out a task / but after leaving the computer desk and start out to do what I was thinking of doing , I end up saying to my self , now what was I going to do. 

I then seem to have a blank memory of what I started out to do and stand there saying to my self , now what was it I was going to do .

Ive seem to have to rely more and more on making my self a written list of things that I need to do , or go and buy ,  My computer desk top calendar is a life line that helps me to try and not forget , when my dear wife says, what would you like for dinner , I start out by saying , Oh I would love some , then  as I try to say some thing like ,  pork chop and xxxxx , although I can visualize the xxxxx in my mind , I seem to get stuck actually remembering the name of xxxxx.

The keeping your mind active with playing video games , is not some thing that ive ever done , but may be its time to give it a try:thumbsup:

On 12/18/2559 at 8:01 PM, kenk24 said:

What happened was that there was a big "no fat" movement many years ago and they took the fat out of many foods, like yogurt, but what they found was that it tasted awful and so they added sugar... and it is the sugar that really puts on weight and most of the sugars they use now are made in laboratories, not natural, and they say these sugars are 8x more addictive than cocaine, so, tough to shake...

I read your other post too about your friends and discussing quality of life. The reference is usually to the passengers who skipped desert the night the Titanic went down. 

All that said, I have had the same battles which often feel to be losing efforts as after reaching goals, the weight comes back. The best diet for losing weight was probably the adtkins, trying to eliminate all carbs... but with the richness of meat in the diet, I think it brought on a small bout of gout and I dropped the diet and back came the weight.

No solutions here, just sympathy as I battle similar issues... good luck and I would look at the treadmill as a separate thing from diet. It may help you to not gain some weight and the added benefits of fitness will help your health in general... even if it only helps a little in losing weight...

Thanks for the comment and sympathy :thumbsup:

I love the ...

passengers who skipped desert the night the Titanic went down.

Before I purchased the treadmill , I was sure that combining a low carb diet along with a daily treadmill exercise routine , was the perfect combination to especially loose weight , but from past comments it seems that the treadmill may not be a large factor in weight loss , but more beneficial on the over health front .  In my mind the more exercise I did , the more weight I would loose :smile:

Archived