I lost 2Kg in one month - its not much ?

Once Bitten

On 12/18/2559 at 10:12 PM, kkerry said:

There are oats and then there are oats.

Best are the less processed ones that require proper cooking e.g. Bob's Red Mill, the Scottish brands.

Steel cut are considered the premium variety but take the most preparation time.

Next are the quick cooking varieties. The brand you see everywhere is Quakers which are okay.

Instant oats are also okay but if you're used to slow cooking oats you will really notice the difference.

The oats to avoid are the instant type with added flavors like cinnamon, blueberry etc.

They can taste good but if you read the packet note the sugar percentage compared to the above types  :shock1:

Prices for the better quality oats can be expensive in Thailand, but if you're ever in Singapore the prices there are much cheaper.

The BRM below are SGD4.20 for 907g, two to three times more expensive at Villa last time I looked.

Two minutes in the micro-wave, let stand for a further two to three minutes. 

Not quite as good as steel cut but simpler to prepare.

I stock-up when I have spare room in my case...

Oats22.JPG

Thanks for the oats info :thumbsup:

The only brand I can find is this one ..

a bit tasteless and not very appetizing .:sad:

oats front of packet 1.jpg

oats info.jpg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/21/2559 at 9:22 AM, KittenKong said:

For the first time in two decades, this morning I weigh under 102kg (101.9 to be exact). I am very satisfied particularly as I am not aware of depriving myself in any way, and I continue to eat all the things I like and which other diets insist I should avoid.

Great to hear your news  :thumbsup:       -  your comment ..

I am not aware of depriving myself in any way, and I continue to eat all the things I like and which other diets insist I should avoid.

Only spurs me on to adjust / amend my own diet , currently I am going down the low-carb /  Atkins path .

I not getting to despondent just yet but I’m now beginning to feel that this life style change ( diet /exercise) is slowly taking up more and more of my daily thought process,  the constantly checking food product information details , the daily meals planning , wondering if I can improve any thing , the worry that I may be slipping in some way :sad:

2 Kgs does not sound much for one month..

try  professional advice ???

but at least you are trying maybe the second month you will see more results...

as for me, Strict Vegetsrian , eat loads of fruit...

avoid Thai Food, as it's loaded with Salt, Sugar, Soy Sauce...

avoid Thai Tea, Thai Coffee...

buy Zero percent milk....

its a life style  you have to get used to, but it's worth it...when you see the results..

exercise is important to, I go three times a week to the park to jog and work out, nothing drastic just light...

all the best with your Diet.....

On 12/18/2559 at 7:06 PM, Taggart said:

OP:  I noticed oats were on your first post list of foods.  You also say you want to get your cholesterol down.  Amongst other foods, oats in research studies have been shown to reduce body cholesterol.  My favourite meal of the day are porridge oats.  Up to you of course if you want to omit them.  I'm your age, and like I said upthread, I managed to get my cholesterol down and it may be that oats were one item that managed to do that.  

Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

I'm having a problem , the oats I'm using are not that tasty , but hopefully they are contributing to getting my my cholesterol down .

26 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

2 Kgs does not sound much for one month..

try  professional advice ???

but at least you are trying maybe the second month you will see more results...

as for me, Strict Vegetsrian , eat loads of fruit...

avoid Thai Food, as it's loaded with Salt, Sugar, Soy Sauce...

avoid Thai Tea, Thai Coffee...

buy Zero percent milk....

its a life style  you have to get used to, but it's worth it...when you see the results..

exercise is important to, I go three times a week to the park to jog and work out, nothing drastic just light...

all the best with your Diet.....

2 kg is not much but it depends on how much is needed to lose. If I want to lose 2 kg it takes a lot of effort because I am relatively lean already. If your really fat and have bad eating habits small changes will result in far more weight loss. But over time that also will stall. I would say 2 KG is quite nice. Besides it usually takes a long time to get fat.. why expect it to lose it a lot faster. 

We are built in a way to preserve fat so it will always take more effort to lose the fat than to gain it.

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Common misconception is that you need to cook rolled oats. You don't. Notice they aren't cooked in muesli.

I think you'll find no difference nutritionally between steel cut and the rest.

Ground flax seed > oat bran > oatmeal

The manufacturer says cook so I cook :)

If you make your own muesli then soak the oats overnight first.

People eat raw oats but cooking helps them to digest better.

The oats you get in store bought muesli will have already been processed to some extent.

Steel cut oats are less processed than other oats so are more nutritious.

Slightly better taste wise also, but require longer cooking which is why I have rolled oats.

oats.JPG

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

Thanks for the comment :thumbsup:

I'm having a problem , the oats I'm using are not that tasty , but hopefully they are contributing to getting my my cholesterol down .

Try adding some fresh fruit like strawberries, blueberries or bananas.

Otherwise a few raisins or sultanas.

Pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds also add to the taste and texture.

A small sprinkle of brown sugar if you really must.

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

I'm having a problem , the oats I'm using are not that tasty ,

It's not just the ones you are using: no oats are very tasty. (Or, if they are, then there's something wrong with them.)

To bring the flavour out in porridge you need to add a little salt and sugar. In things like muesli or in biscuits or in stews it's the other ingredients that give you the real flavour, not the oats.

Exercise on its own is a proven myth. Just google how long it takes on a treadmill to burn off a doughnut and cappuccino. However it's great for the heart and an overall positive mind set.

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Correct but it also helps insulin sensitivity and that helps fat loss.

Combining exercise and a good diet is the secret.

On 12/23/2016 at 1:48 PM, mcfish said:

Exercise on its own is a proven myth. Just google how long it takes on a treadmill to burn off a doughnut and cappuccino. However it's great for the heart and an overall positive mind set.

How many calories is that? I can tell you exactly how long it takes me to burn that off during my cardio sessions.:smile:  I do know one thing - with the amount of exercise I'm currently doing I can eat quite a bit and not put on fat. The younger you are the easier it is.

On 12/18/2016 at 10:12 PM, kkerry said:

There are oats and then there are oats.

Best are the less processed ones that require proper cooking e.g. Bob's Red Mill, the Scottish brands.

Steel cut are considered the premium variety but take the most preparation time.

Next are the quick cooking varieties. The brand you see everywhere is Quakers which are okay.

Instant oats are also okay but if you're used to slow cooking oats you will really notice the difference.

The oats to avoid are the instant type with added flavors like cinnamon, blueberry etc.

They can taste good but if you read the packet note the sugar percentage compared to the above types  :shock1:

Prices for the better quality oats can be expensive in Thailand, but if you're ever in Singapore the prices there are much cheaper.

The BRM below are SGD4.20 for 907g, two to three times more expensive at Villa last time I looked.

Two minutes in the micro-wave, let stand for a further two to three minutes. 

Not quite as good as steel cut but simpler to prepare.

I stock-up when I have spare room in my case...

Oats22.JPG

I buy the steel cut Red Mill oats at Central Tops (Pattaya). They don't always have them, but when they do I stock up. They are about 200 baht a pack. They have gluten free steel cut oats too which run at 300 baht a pack.

Cooking them is a breeze with my technique. You bring the oats and water to the boil on an induction cooker (less than a minute), then simmer with lid on for 20 minutes on setting 1 using the inbuilt timer. There's nothing more to do. I use a ratio of 4x water to oat weight. I stir occasionally, but it's not really necessary. When they are done I let them sit for 5 - 10 minutes  in the pot to bring them to a perfect al dente consistency.

How many calories is that? I can tell you exactly how long it takes me to burn that off during my cardio sessions.[emoji2]  I do know one thing - with the amount of exercise I'm currently doing I can eat quite a bit and not put on fat. The younger you are the easier it is.

A lot of it depends on metabolism and yes youth but there are far better ways to lose weight than spending hours on a treadmill.

5 hours ago, mcfish said:

A lot of it depends on metabolism and yes youth but there are far better ways to lose weight than spending hours on a treadmill.

Yeah, and there's a lot more to exercise than spending hours on the treadmill too.

I burn 500 - 1500 in my exercise sessions, depending on what I'm doing on the day. That's a lot of extra yummy food I can consume without the slightest worry about gaining fat.

Anyway, it's not a matter of what is more efficient. You need to do exercise (preferably cardio and resistance training) and restrict calories to get anything resembling a good body, and that should be the goal of any fat loss program, not some number shown on the scales. A lot of people come on here and say they want to get to 70 or 80kg, or some number they pick out of a hat. If you become too obsessed with body weight loss and targets instead of fat loss, you could end up looking emaciated. 

Yeah, and there's a lot more to exercise than spending hours on the treadmill too.

I burn 500 - 1500 in my exercise sessions, depending on what I'm doing on the day. That's a lot of extra yummy food I can consume without the slightest worry about gaining fat.

Anyway, it's not a matter of what is more efficient. You need to do exercise (preferably cardio and resistance training) and restrict calories to get anything resembling a good body, and that should be the goal of any fat loss program, not some number shown on the scales. A lot of people come on here and say they want to get to 70 or 80kg, or some number they pick out of a hat. If you become too obsessed with body weight loss and targets instead of fat loss, you could end up looking emaciated. 

Agreed I do weight training 3 days a week for years and start every session with 30 mins on the bike however when I was overweight due to serious meds for years I turned to atkins and got into ketosis.. It was simply increadable how fast I lost it all

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, mcfish said:

Agreed I do weight training 3 days a week for years and start every session with 30 mins on the bike however when I was overweight due to serious meds for years I turned to atkins and got into ketosis.. It was simply increadable how fast I lost it all

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I will never dispute that the fastest way to drop weight is dieting. That weight drop will usually include muscle which is not easy to get back, especially on a calorie restricted diet. Also, a diet-only weight loss can be replaced at lightening speed by fat only. I've personally witnessed this on dieted skinny people -  it's shocking!

I have been on keto diet since I read about it on this thread. I've carried 30kg excess for 20 years, despite a supposedly good diet and regular exercise.

It is 7 weeks today and I have lost 8.3kg. (107.5 - 99.2). So TV is not all bad, eh!? I do weights 3-4 times a week as well. 21kg to go and very confident this is the way to do it.

I've been tracking my BP, blood sugars and lipids and they are all improving too. If you have metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes or diabetes II,  it is worth looking in to it. It can cure all three. It generally only works for about 70% of the population, and you should track your lipids while you are doing it. This diet can fix your bad lipid profile too. Much better option than taking those very toxic statins pushed on you by doctors and their overlords. 

2 minutes ago, shadmo63 said:

I have been on keto diet since I read about it on this thread. I've carried 30kg excess for 20 years, despite a supposedly good diet and regular exercise.

It is 7 weeks today and I have lost 8.3kg. (107.5 - 99.2). So TV is not all bad, eh!? I do weights 3-4 times a week as well. 21kg to go and very confident this is the way to do it.

I've been tracking my BP, blood sugars and lipids and they are all improving too. If you have metabolic syndrome, pre-diabetes or diabetes II,  it is worth looking in to it. It can cure all three. It generally only works for about 70% of the population, and you should track your lipids while you are doing it. This diet can fix your bad lipid profile too. Much better option than taking those very toxic statins pushed on you by doctors and their overlords. 

Congratulations on your progress! Keep it up!

Just a word on your comment "It can cure all three", in relation to pre-diabetes or diabetes II.

You will not cure the underlying condition through exercise and diet, but you most likely will be able to control your blood sugar levels and keep them in the normal zone. If you have pre-diabetes you will always have to be careful with your dietary intake. Get back into old habits i.e. lazy to exercise, eat too many carbs and processed food, and you'll be back to where you started or worse.

Maybe some of you will grasp this seemingly absurd comment: Pre-diabetes can be seen as a blessing. It forces you to be ever careful with what you eat and maintain a decent exercise program. You have more incentive to get it right. A good diet and lifestyle for pre-diabetes help to keep most other blood parameters in check. Think of pre-diabetes as an early warning.

12 minutes ago, tropo said:

Congratulations on your progress! Keep it up!

Just a word on your comment "It can cure all three", in relation to pre-diabetes or diabetes II.

You will not cure the underlying condition through exercise and diet, but you most likely will be able to control your blood sugar levels and keep them in the normal zone. If you have pre-diabetes you will always have to be careful with your dietary intake. Get back into old habits i.e. lazy to exercise, eat too many carbs and processed food, and you'll be back to where you started or worse.

Maybe some of you will grasp this seemingly absurd comment: Pre-diabetes can be seen as a blessing. It forces you to be ever careful with what you eat and maintain a decent exercise program. You have more incentive to get it right. A good diet and lifestyle for pre-diabetes help to keep most other blood parameters in check. Think of pre-diabetes as an early warning.

Yes, agreed. 'Cured' is not the correct word. 'Controlled' would be better. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for all the comments and advice , its really appreciated :thumbsup:

Well another month gone , and time to weight my self again  ( only weigh my self once at the beginning of every month ).

For the last 3 months I have kept to my diet ( low carb Atkins style ) and every day a one hour session on my treadmill.

Ive only stopped my diet on Christmas and New years day for a celebratory meal.

So far these are my weight loss figures

October start of diet and exercise -

October  2016   =        82.1kg
November 2016 =       80.5kg
December 2016 =       79.7 kg
January 2017 =           78.1kg

As you can see these above weight figures still seem not to be in my mind very encouraging , but having said that after a recent blood test , my cholesterol numbers have now reduced to far better lower numbers,  thanks to I’m sure my starting the diet and daily exercise routine , which was one of my primary goals .

I have now begun to notice that my shorts and shirts feel looser , and I feel I now have a bit more over all energy than in the past .  So may be I should just accept the slow weight loss as a fact , and be happy with the current results of lower cholesterol numbers and the over all feeling generally better.

I am not going to stop my diet , but try and refine it more to see if the weight loss figures can be improved . After 3 months of giving up many food’s I enjoyed , strangely the cravings I originally had , have now gone away .

As for getting involved with personal professional advice , my rural location makes it difficult , but again reading the advice posted here is a positive bonus and some thing I look forward to reading.

As all ways any thoughts / suggestions / advice  , most welcome  :thumbsup:

Actually 2 kgs in a month is a good healthy weight loss.

Bear in mind that to lose 2 kg, you have to take in 7,700 calories less than you burn. Divide by 30 days, that's a daily calorie deficit of about 257 calories, i.e. you take in that much less than you burn.

While it is possible to lose weight more quickly by taking in far less and/or burning more, such regimens are almost impossible to adhere to in the long term with the result that people tend to put the weight right back on.

Burning up 250-270 calories a day more than you take in is IMO much more consistent with a sustainable approach to weight loss.

Incidentally, for risk factors for heart disease etc, the waist circumference in men is far more significant than overall weight or BMI. So monitor that. I may be improving disproportionaly to the amount of weight loss and if so, you are definitely on the right track.

13 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Thanks again for all the comments and advice , its really appreciated :thumbsup:

Well another month gone , and time to weight my self again  ( only weigh my self once at the beginning of every month ).

For the last 3 months I have kept to my diet ( low carb Atkins style ) and every day a one hour session on my treadmill.

Ive only stopped my diet on Christmas and New years day for a celebratory meal.

So far these are my weight loss figures

October start of diet and exercise -

October  2016   =        82.1kg
November 2016 =       80.5kg
December 2016 =       79.7 kg
January 2017 =           78.1kg

As you can see these above weight figures still seem not to be in my mind very encouraging , but having said that after a recent blood test , my cholesterol numbers have now reduced to far better lower numbers,  thanks to I’m sure my starting the diet and daily exercise routine , which was one of my primary goals .

I have now begun to notice that my shorts and shirts feel looser , and I feel I now have a bit more over all energy than in the past .  So may be I should just accept the slow weight loss as a fact , and be happy with the current results of lower cholesterol numbers and the over all feeling generally better.

I am not going to stop my diet , but try and refine it more to see if the weight loss figures can be improved . After 3 months of giving up many food’s I enjoyed , strangely the cravings I originally had , have now gone away .

As for getting involved with personal professional advice , my rural location makes it difficult , but again reading the advice posted here is a positive bonus and some thing I look forward to reading.

As all ways any thoughts / suggestions / advice  , most welcome  :thumbsup:

If you can keep up 2 kg a month is great.. i lost 25 kg 5-6 years back and kept it off.. It took me a whole year that averages also around 2 kg a month. Its never fast enough (for nobody). But in the end we have to accept what is possible. 

Also your weight loss might not be the full story you said you were running too its quite possible if you did not run before that you gained some muscle (muscle is heavier than fat). So weight alone does not tell the whole story. I gained weight back (but not fat) leaner than before but heaver (muscles) scales are not always the best measure. But clothes and a measuring tape helps a lot too.

Just keep doing what you are doing. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

If you can keep up 2 kg a month is great.. i lost 25 kg 5-6 years back and kept it off.. It took me a whole year that averages also around 2 kg a month. Its never fast enough (for nobody). But in the end we have to accept what is possible. 

Also your weight loss might not be the full story you said you were running too its quite possible if you did not run before that you gained some muscle (muscle is heavier than fat). So weight alone does not tell the whole story. I gained weight back (but not fat) leaner than before but heaver (muscles) scales are not always the best measure. But clothes and a measuring tape helps a lot too.

Just keep doing what you are doing. 

The best way I can think of considering we don't have ready access to decent fat checking technology in Thailand (DEXA scan, Bodpod, hydrostatic weighing) is to get a simple pinch gauge and check your fat thickness at many places around your body. Record the thickness to the nearest 1/2 mm. Recheck once a month and get an average thickness over all the sites. This will not give you an accurate body fat percentage, but it will tell you if you've gained or lost fat. 

5 hours ago, tropo said:

The best way I can think of considering we don't have ready access to decent fat checking technology in Thailand (DEXA scan, Bodpod, hydrostatic weighing) is to get a simple pinch gauge and check your fat thickness at many places around your body. Record the thickness to the nearest 1/2 mm. Recheck once a month and get an average thickness over all the sites. This will not give you an accurate body fat percentage, but it will tell you if you've gained or lost fat. 

Yes that would work but a centimeter helps a lot too IMHO. I got a skin caliper but even between measurements on the same day there can be differences. Anyway its still better than the scales. 

17 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes that would work but a centimeter helps a lot too IMHO. I got a skin caliper but even between measurements on the same day there can be differences. Anyway its still better than the scales. 

Always take 2 measurements and split the difference. If you take more positions around the body and average them, you get more accuracy. Personally, I find a tape measure worthless. For example, I hardly carry any abdominal fat (5mm skin fold) and visceral fat, so the measurements won't change no matter how much I diet... yet, on my upper back I'll pinch 15 - 17 mm of fat. Also, with hard training the tape measurements go up, even in the abs. Perhaps tape measures are more useful in the early stages of a fat loss diet.

9 minutes ago, tropo said:

Always take 2 measurements and split the difference. If you take more positions around the body and average them, you get more accuracy. Personally, I find a tape measure worthless. For example, I hardly carry any abdominal fat (5mm skin fold) and visceral fat, so the measurements won't change no matter how much I diet... yet, on my upper back I'll pinch 15 - 17 mm of fat. Also, with hard training the tape measurements go up, even in the abs. Perhaps tape measures are more useful in the early stages of a fat loss diet.

Point taken but I do have abdominal fat but yes extra abb exercise might increase my abs so its hard. How do you take skinfolds on your upper back.. i take it your wife does it for you. 

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Point taken but I do have abdominal fat but yes extra abb exercise might increase my abs so its hard. How do you take skinfolds on your upper back.. i take it your wife does it for you. 

Yeah, my wife does it. It takes a bit of practice in that area because the skin is tight. It's taken between the scapula and spine in the vertical direction. Move your elbow back to ease the skin tension.

Archived