I lost 2Kg in one month - its not much ?

Once Bitten

Again thanks to every one for your comments and continued encouragement :thumbsup:

Well its the beginning of another month , that time when I mount the bathroom scales to find out if my continuing efforts are paying dividends and making every thing seem worthwhile ,

last month I again altered my diet content ( reduced carbohydrates even more ) and continued the daily treadmill routine ,and

the out come seem to have been more positive , with a better increase in weight loss , so far the results are as follows ----

October 2016 ( diet start date ) = 82.1kg

November 2016 = 80.5kg

December 2016 = 79.7kg

January 2017 = 78.1kg

February 2017 = 75.5kg

When I check out what a man of my height should ideally weigh , the recommend weight is 67kg .

Which taking into consideration my current weight loss progress rate , that ideal recommended weight will take some considerable time to finally achieve.

Although my weight loss seems to be slowly progressing and I am starting to see and feel the physical benefits , and of course my blood test result numbers / blood pressure readings have all improved .

But I now keep thinking this---------

When will enough be enough

And what lies ahead once I reach the desired weight and whats it going to be like constantly living in fear of regaining that lost weight .

:sad:

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all, do not think in terms of what charts say is your "ideal" weight. Rather look at the upper limit of the recommended range for your height , which chances are you are already pretty close to  (this would be the weight which matches to a BMI of 25). As your lipid values have already improved, and you have likely put on some muscle mass, you should be fine at a BMI of 25. (Very muscular men can even be over that without being obese).

As to maintaining, it is just a matter of finding a diet and exercise combo you feel you can maintain for the long haul.  Probably something similiar to what you are now doing but a few more calories. need to keep in mind that there will inevitably be some lapses on holidays and the like.

21 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

Again thanks to every one for your comments and continued encouragement :thumbsup:

Well its the beginning of another month , that time when I mount the bathroom scales to find out if my continuing efforts are paying dividends and making every thing seem worthwhile ,

last month I again altered my diet content ( reduced carbohydrates even more ) and continued the daily treadmill routine ,and

the out come seem to have been more positive , with a better increase in weight loss , so far the results are as follows ----

November 2016 = 80.5kg

December 2016 = 79.7kg

January 2017 = 78.1kg

February 2017 = 75.5kg

When I check out what a man of my height should ideally weigh , the recommend weight is 67kg .

Which taking into consideration my current weight loss progress rate , that ideal recommended weight will take some considerable time to finally achieve.

Although my weight loss seems to be slowly progressing and I am starting to see and feel the physical benefits , and of course my blood test result numbers / blood pressure readings have all improved .

But I now keep thinking this---------

When will enough be enough

And what lies ahead once I reach the desired weight and whats it going to be like constantly living in fear of regaining that lost weight .

:sad:

Losing 6.6 kg of fat in 4 months is not slow progress, assuming it is fat that you lost and not muscle.

Desired weight taken from BMI tables is nonsense. Don't get discouraged by what these meaningless tables suggest is your ideal weight.

A better idea is to test how much subcutaneous bodyfat you have by using pinch calipers. The mirror is also a better way than using BMI tables.

Agree, but I would add:

- your waist circumefernce

- your lab values, which I gather have improved

A waist circumference below 102 cm and lipids, fasting sugar within normal range would be appropriate goals health-wise, rather than a specific weight.

See

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-pro/guidelines/current/obesity-guidelines/e_textbook/txgd/4142.htm

On 2/9/2017 at 0:28 PM, Sheryl said:

First of all, do not think in terms of what charts say is your "ideal" weight. Rather look at the upper limit of the recommended range for your height , which chances are you are already pretty close to  (this would be the weight which matches to a BMI of 25). As your lipid values have already improved, and you have likely put on some muscle mass, you should be fine at a BMI of 25. (Very muscular men can even be over that without being obese).

As to maintaining, it is just a matter of finding a diet and exercise combo you feel you can maintain for the long haul.  Probably something similiar to what you are now doing but a few more calories. need to keep in mind that there will inevitably be some lapses on holidays and the like.

Thanks Sheryl , as this is my first ever attempt at loosing weight , I’m still learning , and trying to plan for the future , I can all ready feel improvements , clothes now feeling looser and reduced waist line along with my legs looking slightly more muscular.

The daily treadmill routine has strangely become addictive and some thing I now look forward to , some how after a treadmill session , it seems to make me feel a lot better and less tired through out the day . I am not planning to ever stop or reduce my treadmill routine now I’m hooked.

The current diet plan seems to be working , but its becoming some what repetitive and lacks many things that pre diet I had come to enjoy. This is some thing I will certainly have to consider when I eventually reach a weight that I am finally comfortable with .

I’m happy that my lipid values have already improved and some thing that needs to be regularly monitored .

23 hours ago, tropo said:

Losing 6.6 kg of fat in 4 months is not slow progress, assuming it is fat that you lost and not muscle.

Desired weight taken from BMI tables is nonsense. Don't get discouraged by what these meaningless tables suggest is your ideal weight.

A better idea is to test how much subcutaneous bodyfat you have by using pinch calipers. The mirror is also a better way than using BMI tables.

Thanks tropo

As a newcomer to loosing weight and after reading online articles , I got it into my mind that some how the weight , taking into consideration my current very low cab diet and constant daily treadmill routine, should be dropping off at a faster rate . Thanks comments here I have come to realize that not all the how to loose weight fast , web sites , are the right way to go.

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

The current diet plan seems to be working , but its becoming some what repetitive and lacks many things that pre diet I had come to enjoy.

The thing is, just 'cause you'd enjoyed something before, to your detriment, doesn't mean that you're obligated to enjoy it forever. In fact I think you'll find that by the time you reach your desired weight, you won't want them anymore, so then why not just let them go? That's what I did.

High carb diets can also be extremely repetitive (but that seems never worrisome to the carb-addicted :smile:). If repetitive is an issue, then just google for low-carb recipes. There's a ton out there! You can also eat a wide variety of stuff in restos but just skip the rice, bread, potatoes, dessert, etc. Yeah, let's not use repetitive as an excuse to gain all the weight back. Doesn't have to be that way at all.

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, Nepal4me said:

Once bitten,

How is your diet these days?

Have you gone fully keto at any time?

How does your body feel.  
You haven't commented in some months.  Wondering how things are going.

Hi Nepal4me , thanks for asking.

Well its now been about 10 continuous months that ive been on my diet and daily treadmill routine during all this time I have had only a few days where I had a normal meal ( birthday celebrations etc ).

I have to say that nearly all the past foods/drinks that I enjoyed , but that were not in my low carb diet plan , Ive come to not miss at all , and I now don’t see my self ever returning to any of them ( apart from a glass of red wine , every now and than )

I would say that my diet has never really been a full 100% keto regime , but certainly low carb . As for how I feel , the weight loss has certainly given me more vitality and I feel less tired during the day , and I certainly sleep better during the night time .

The daily treadmill routines , I look forward to and get a buzz after one , if I miss a day I feel guilty.

One other area where I definitely feel better is being able to wear small clothes sizes.

My cholesterol / blood pressure numbers remain in within good numbers.

I’m not sure what this ongoing constant diet routine holds for the future , but just looking at my weight loss numbers below , it seems that I may have reached a weight loss plateau and to gain any further ongoing weight loss numbers,  may need a further drastic adjustment to my current diet plan , and possibly an increase to my daily treadmill duration . But , and there’s always a but , I’m not sure if I feel that taking things further both altering the current diet / increased treadmill routine at 68 years old , is a route I want to go or will enjoy .

November 2016 = 80.5kg

December 2016 = 79.7kg

January 2017 = 78.1kg

February 2017 = 75.5kg

March 2017 = 73.9 kg

April 2017 = 74.4 kg

May 2017 = 73.4 kg

June 2017 = 73.3 kg

July 2017 = 72.7 kg

1 hour ago, Once Bitten said:

Hi Nepal4me , thanks for asking.

Well its now been about 10 continuous months that ive been on my diet and daily treadmill routine during all this time I have had only a few days where I had a normal meal ( birthday celebrations etc ).

I have to say that nearly all the past foods/drinks that I enjoyed , but that were not in my low carb diet plan , Ive come to not miss at all , and I now don’t see my self ever returning to any of them ( apart from a glass of red wine , every now and than )

I would say that my diet has never really been a full 100% keto regime , but certainly low carb . As for how I feel , the weight loss has certainly given me more vitality and I feel less tired during the day , and I certainly sleep better during the night time .

The daily treadmill routines , I look forward to and get a buzz after one , if I miss a day I feel guilty.

One other area where I definitely feel better is being able to wear small clothes sizes.

My cholesterol / blood pressure numbers remain in within good numbers.

I’m not sure what this ongoing constant diet routine holds for the future , but just looking at my weight loss numbers below , it seems that I may have reached a weight loss plateau and to gain any further ongoing weight loss numbers,  may need a further drastic adjustment to my current diet plan , and possibly an increase to my daily treadmill duration . But , and there’s always a but , I’m not sure if I feel that taking things further both altering the current diet / increased treadmill routine at 68 years old , is a route I want to go or will enjoy .

November 2016 = 80.5kg

December 2016 = 79.7kg

January 2017 = 78.1kg

February 2017 = 75.5kg

March 2017 = 73.9 kg

April 2017 = 74.4 kg

May 2017 = 73.4 kg

June 2017 = 73.3 kg

July 2017 = 72.7 kg

Yes it always seems to level out at some weight. I have seen the same with me and if i want to go lower it just means more effort and further cuts in foods. At some point you have to ask yourself what do you want. It will be more about cutting food then more on the threadmill. I just changed things up to go down a  bit again but to my shock i went down and then up. For now I say its water retention or something else as I eat less and exercise more. (added a morning cardio session of 25 minutes 7 days a week). Will up it to half an hour in a week or 2. This is in addition to my 4 times a week 1 hour of lifting.  (there is of course a limit of what is enjoyable) I must say I do enjoy the extra stamina I have gotten from the cardio. It helps my lifting sessions and it helps on other areas too.

Sounds great. You're doing well, probably adding some healthy years on to your life.

If your weight loss is stuck, might try intermittent fasting. 5/2 or even 6/1 or everyday 14 hours IF. 

Good luck.....and keep us posted  :)

At 72 kg (and likely with reasonable muscle mass) I wouldn't think there'd be any reason to want to lose more.

You've accomplished your aim, good health no meds. I'd suggest simply trying to maintain at current wt and fitness is fine.

9 hours ago, Once Bitten said:

You're doing great, but please don't beat yourself up about missing days, weeks or even months. This will happen as you're not a machine and time off is inevitable. Learn to enjoy time off. Put a positive spin on it. Feeling guilty is extremely negative. Learning how to take time off is hard to do, but an important part of training and progress.

Taking time off is a bad idea.  it isn't a good idea to put the thought in your mind that skipping workouts is ok.  It is way too easy to fall off the wagon and stop exercising and maybe never start again.   Never stop.  If you miss a workout or 2, ok no problem but force yourself to get back on that horse.  Keep it in your mind at all times that you must exercise regularly.

Taking time off is a bad idea.  it isn't a good idea to put the thought in your mind that skipping workouts is ok.  It is way too easy to fall off the wagon and stop exercising and maybe never start again.   Never stop.  If you miss a workout or 2, ok no problem but force yourself to get back on that horse.  Keep it in your mind at all times that you must exercise regularly.

Really depends... if i skip cardio.. more sessions will be skipped. But lifting.. i always start again. So its depends on the person.

44 minutes ago, Nepal4me said:

It doesn't matter if you think it's a bad idea or not. Sooner or later you'll be taking time off whether you like it or not, either for personal reasons or injuries. If you train very intensely you'll gain a lot from planned time off.

Learning how to handle time off is one of the most important lessons you must learn... that way when you need to get back on the horse it's a lot easier.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/3/2016 at 11:48 PM, fruitman said:

If you loose 20kg in a month your skin will hang on your knee's....good luck with that.

Are you suggesting that if you lose 20kg slowly it will not hang? Does it tighten up if you lose it slowly? I'm asking as I have some loose skin that I'd like to tighten up, but I don't it will tighten up unless it is surgically removed.... and I lost weight VERY slowly. Skin loses its elasticity as we age, even if you don't lose weight.

On 11/3/2016 at 11:37 PM, mcfish said:

That's silly you can lose 2kg having a dump and just day to day on the scales without doing a thing. Anyone seriously wanting to lose weight would give up, just like the OP who is frustrated.

What's needed is a huge loss first month and then focus on 2kg after that. Again google ketosis, eat nothing but protein and fat. It won't kill anyone for a few months..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

I easily fluctuate by 2kg every day at a bodyweight of around 100kg, so yes, a 2kg weight loss could be hard to quantify.

Someone suggested throwing away the scales. No way! It's important you see something to confirm weight loss and accurate readings to 0.1kg should be taken at the same time every day.

I have just the online app for anyone who is trying to lose weight.

Here's an example of a typical weight loss graph:

5a2e899336fdd_Typicalweightlossgraph.jpg.c3b6538bb880c981ec83aa172c530ec9.jpg

There would be plenty of discouraging days within that month due to daily fluctuations.

What you need is this:

5a2e8a7b78a07_Weightlosstrend.jpg.49abd0a6e9216f9828b85f7c7a4e41dc.jpg

That smoothes out the daily fluctuations and you won't panic when you get higher results on any particular day.

My wife has successfully dropped 5kg using this graph over 4 months. She used to panic if she was higher on certain days, but now she can see a clear downward trend. That may not sound like much weight to lose, but it's over 10% of her body weight, and because it was slow and consistent, there won't be any yo-yo effect. Due to the slow, steady progress, the lost weight is definitely fat, not body fluids or muscle. 

You add your weight every day and you will get a trending weight (the blue line above). The recorded weights are the red dots. It will tell you what your weekly and monthly losses are and an estimate of when you will reach your goal. You can view a 1, 3, 6 and 12-month graph. The green line will be your weight a month earlier.

Here's the website:

http://www.weightgrapher.com/

Enjoy!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, tropo said:

Are you suggesting that if you lose 20kg slowly it will not hang? Does it tighten up if you lose it slowly? I'm asking as I have some loose skin that I'd like to tighten up, but I don't it will tighten up unless it is surgically removed.... and I lost weight VERY slowly. Skin loses its elasticity as we age, even if you don't lose weight.

I noticed that my body had lost 32 lbs but it took another 6 months for my shape to change.  My stomach did pull in some and my face got much thinner.  So I would say if you loose weight and keep it off for 6 months or longer you should see some body shape changes.  After that I am afraid its off to the plastic surgeon if you want more change or sagging skin to disappear.  

2kg of fat loss is not bad. 1 kg is about 9000 calories burned ON TOP of your normal metabolic rate. An hour on the treadmill may burn 300 cals (the machine normally overestimates). The main think is consistency...whatever changes to diet you made you must be able to sustain it. And as one loses weight, it becomes progressively harder to keep losing it. So just need to get to a reasonable body fat level and maintain it there. And the older you get the harder it gets to lose weight. 

On 12/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, tropo said:

I easily fluctuate by 2kg every day at a bodyweight of around 100kg, so yes, a 2kg weight loss could be hard to quantify.

Someone suggested throwing away the scales. No way! It's important you see something to confirm weight loss and accurate readings to 0.1kg should be taken at the same time every day.

I have just the online app for anyone who is trying to lose weight.

Here's an example of a typical weight loss graph:

5a2e899336fdd_Typicalweightlossgraph.jpg.c3b6538bb880c981ec83aa172c530ec9.jpg

There would be plenty of discouraging days within that month due to daily fluctuations.

What you need is this:

5a2e8a7b78a07_Weightlosstrend.jpg.49abd0a6e9216f9828b85f7c7a4e41dc.jpg

That smoothes out the daily fluctuations and you won't panic when you get higher results on any particular day.

My wife has successfully dropped 5kg using this graph over 4 months. She used to panic if she was higher on certain days, but now she can see a clear downward trend. That may not sound like much weight to lose, but it's over 10% of her body weight, and because it was slow and consistent, there won't be any yo-yo effect. Due to the slow, steady progress, the lost weight is definitely fat, not body fluids or muscle. 

You add your weight every day and you will get a trending weight (the blue line above). The recorded weights are the red dots. It will tell you what your weekly and monthly losses are and an estimate of when you will reach your goal. You can view a 1, 3, 6 and 12-month graph. The green line will be your weight a month earlier.

Here's the website:

http://www.weightgrapher.com/

Enjoy!!

I have tanita scales that also records body fat%. I think it works consistently, but body water content can affect the results. When I use it I do it after I come home from work. In the morning one is dehydrated and this increases to apparent body fat percent. I would also record this everyday and make a graph in excel or another abb. Then I apply a running average to the data. This better shows the trend in body fat. It takes quite a few kgs to show an effect though (if I'm 90 kg, BF is about 23-24%, but at 83kg it is about 19-20%).

On 1/8/2018 at 11:00 AM, DavisH said:

I have tanita scales that also records body fat%. I think it works consistently, but body water content can affect the results. When I use it I do it after I come home from work. In the morning one is dehydrated and this increases to apparent body fat percent. I would also record this everyday and make a graph in excel or another abb. Then I apply a running average to the data. This better shows the trend in body fat. It takes quite a few kgs to show an effect though (if I'm 90 kg, BF is about 23-24%, but at 83kg it is about 19-20%).

I use a tanita scale at my gym that gives a body composition analyzer print out.  Olympic Club at MBK.  It is very helpful and I just caught this awful problem yesterday.  I left TH and my 5 times a week weight training workout to head to the states for summer.  I live in a big city and switched to walking as much as 15 miles a day in the morning and biking, then switched to stair climbing as much as 100 floors after the weather turned nasty.  Over the 6 month holiday back in the states my weight did not change much.  I was 87.3 K june 14,2017 and now 87.8 K jan 9, 2018.

However my body fat composition is up 4.5 K.  My muscle mass is down 1.7K.  My BMI is up about 1.5% points. 

So my cardio strategy of keeping the weight off was successful.  

The 6 months off was a disaster in terms of broader measurements of health and fitness based on muscle mass and body fat rather than just weight measurements.  

Back in the gym and weight training yesterday!  Will be on it full time 5 days a week in a few weeks.  Will not take a long cardio break again as it keeps the weight off but allows the body to build up fat.  You can become a Tofi.  (thin on the outside and fat inside)   This seems to be the latest explanation for early heart disease and stroke and cancer among the normal weight population.  Their weight is just fine but the body fat composition and muscle mass indexes are not good at all for these people.  Correct weight!  Too much of it FAT!

If you are serious about your weight loss for health reasons you really need to pay attention to muscle mass and body fat readings.  The tanita scale is really worth the money if you can't get your health club to purchase one.  It might also spare you a lot of cardio nonsense that may not be that helpful after all.

On 7/4/2017 at 7:39 PM, tropo said:

It doesn't matter if you think it's a bad idea or not. Sooner or later you'll be taking time off whether you like it or not, either for personal reasons or injuries. If you train very intensely you'll gain a lot from planned time off.

Learning how to handle time off is one of the most important lessons you must learn... that way when you need to get back on the horse it's a lot easier.  

Very true.  In addition to physical recovery, downtime is also important for mental recuperation

5 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I use a tanita scale at my gym that gives a body composition analyzer print out.  Olympic Club at MBK.  It is very helpful and I just caught this awful problem yesterday.  I left TH and my 5 times a week weight training workout to head to the states for summer.  I live in a big city and switched to walking as much as 15 miles a day in the morning and biking, then switched to stair climbing as much as 100 floors after the weather turned nasty.  Over the 6 month holiday back in the states my weight did not change much.  I was 87.3 K june 14,2017 and now 87.8 K jan 9, 2018.

However my body fat composition is up 4.5 K.  My muscle mass is down 1.7K.  My BMI is up about 1.5% points. 

So my cardio strategy of keeping the weight off was successful.  

The 6 months off was a disaster in terms of broader measurements of health and fitness based on muscle mass and body fat rather than just weight measurements.  

Back in the gym and weight training yesterday!  Will be on it full time 5 days a week in a few weeks.  Will not take a long cardio break again as it keeps the weight off but allows the body to build up fat.  You can become a Tofi.  (thin on the outside and fat inside)   This seems to be the latest explanation for early heart disease and stroke and cancer among the normal weight population.  Their weight is just fine but the body fat composition and muscle mass indexes are not good at all for these people.  Correct weight!  Too much of it FAT!

If you are serious about your weight loss for health reasons you really need to pay attention to muscle mass and body fat readings.  The tanita scale is really worth the money if you can't get your health club to purchase one.  It might also spare you a lot of cardio nonsense that may not be that helpful after all.

There are very expensive electronic scales that work well. Once I tested my body fat, on the same day, using a hydrostatic tank method, DEXA scan and electronic scales at a university. The difference between the 3 methods was around 1.5%. the electronic scales had the hand attachment.

I wouldn't bother with the cheap electronic body fat scales they put in gyms. They may work for some, but they were giving me measurements in the 20's when my bodyfat was closer to 10%. They don't work well if your muscular weight is higher than average and make the assumption this weight is fat.

The most useful measurements come from the DEXA scan. It tells you what your body fat percentage is in the different regions (chest, abdominal, legs and arms). You can determine your level of visceral fat.

If you travel back to the states you can have DEXA (for body fat) done for a reasonable price. If you're placing so much trust in your electronic scales here in Thailand it would be worthwhile to find out how accurate they are working for you.

That cardio program you undertook while you were in the US was overkill. It was catabolic - you were eating away at the muscle you'd built in the gym in Thailand. There are far better ways to burn fat. Why don't you try some form of HIIT training? You'll save a lot of time.

5 hours ago, tropo said:

There are very expensive electronic scales that work well. Once I tested my body fat, on the same day, using a hydrostatic tank method, DEXA scan and electronic scales at a university. The difference between the 3 methods was around 1.5%. the electronic scales had the hand attachment.

I wouldn't bother with the cheap electronic body fat scales they put in gyms. They may work for some, but they were giving me measurements in the 20's when my bodyfat was closer to 10%. They don't work well if your muscular weight is higher than average and make the assumption this weight is fat.

The most useful measurements come from the DEXA scan. It tells you what your body fat percentage is in the different regions (chest, abdominal, legs and arms). You can determine your level of visceral fat.

If you travel back to the states you can have DEXA (for body fat) done for a reasonable price. If you're placing so much trust in your electronic scales here in Thailand it would be worthwhile to find out how accurate they are working for you.

That cardio program you undertook while you were in the US was overkill. It was catabolic - you were eating away at the muscle you'd built in the gym in Thailand. There are far better ways to burn fat. Why don't you try some form of HIIT training? You'll save a lot of time.

The Tanita at the Olympic Club is the expensive scale with the hand grip attachments and a software program to give bodyfat, fat mass, muscle mass and Fatfreemass and viseral fat.   The software then maps your body: legs, arms, trunk and stomach and gives a body map of the readings by proportion.  The product manual website says it is within 1% of DEXA scan. 

I think you are right the cardio kept my weight in check but without having all those other measurements I didn't do well with muscle preservation and staying lean.  On a positive note my visceral fat score fell even further on the summer cardio program.  That is always a plus for guys like me in their 60's.  VF is a real heart killer.

I originally had a goal of getting a HIIT program together but fell into the walks and biking and just didn't up my game.  Will pay much more attention on my next long holiday in the states.

20 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

The Tanita at the Olympic Club is the expensive scale with the hand grip attachments and a software program to give bodyfat, fat mass, muscle mass and Fatfreemass and viseral fat.   The software then maps your body: legs, arms, trunk and stomach and gives a body map of the readings by proportion.  The product manual website says it is within 1% of DEXA scan. 

I think you are right the cardio kept my weight in check but without having all those other measurements I didn't do well with muscle preservation and staying lean.  On a positive note my visceral fat score fell even further on the summer cardio program.  That is always a plus for guys like me in their 60's.  VF is a real heart killer.

I originally had a goal of getting a HIIT program together but fell into the walks and biking and just didn't up my game.  Will pay much more attention on my next long holiday in the states.

Have a look into HIIT cardio. I don't personally do much HIIT. I would classify my cardio as moderate to high intensity but I don't go silly about it as many do with HIIT. I think one must be gentle on the heart for safety's sake. i.e. push it but don't overdo it. when I do my intense cardio I wear a HR monitor. Having said that, I don't do long slow cardio. There are theories that it's actually bad for you. Long slow cardio proponents certainly do seem to overdo it though. Most of my cardio sessions last from 20 - 30 minutes with the occasional one extending to 40 minutes.

12 hours ago, tropo said:

Have a look into HIIT cardio. I don't personally do much HIIT. I would classify my cardio as moderate to high intensity but I don't go silly about it as many do with HIIT. I think one must be gentle on the heart for safety's sake. i.e. push it but don't overdo it. when I do my intense cardio I wear a HR monitor. Having said that, I don't do long slow cardio. There are theories that it's actually bad for you. Long slow cardio proponents certainly do seem to overdo it though. Most of my cardio sessions last from 20 - 30 minutes with the occasional one extending to 40 minutes.

I will have a look into it for my next long term off period.  I just really was trying to point out that without other measurements besides a scale for weight you may not being doing your body much good with diet and exercise.  If you can't get a good expensive Tanita or a DEXA scan you can always pay attention to your belt buckle, shirt and pant size!  Stop depending on one number to measure so many aspects of your health.  I am back on weight training and doing another sports medical regime from Voskran.  The test, the hgh, the hormone shots.  Last time this combo really shaped me up and I am looking forward to more and even planning ahead to figure out how to keep my gains.

10 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I will have a look into it for my next long term off period.  I just really was trying to point out that without other measurements besides a scale for weight you may not being doing your body much good with diet and exercise.  If you can't get a good expensive Tanita or a DEXA scan you can always pay attention to your belt buckle, shirt and pant size!  Stop depending on one number to measure so many aspects of your health.  I am back on weight training and doing another sports medical regime from Voskran.  The test, the hgh, the hormone shots.  Last time this combo really shaped me up and I am looking forward to more and even planning ahead to figure out how to keep my gains.

Were you getting any exogenous testosterone when you went back to the US? If you didn't, that could explain the big drop in muscle better than excessive cardio with no resistance work.

Archived