Elephant attacks Australian man on Phuket

webfact

Elephant attacks Australian man on Phuket, Thailand

Lindsay Murdoch

PHUKET: --   An unsupervised four-year-old elephant suddenly became agitated and attacked an Australian man on the Thai resort island of Phuket.

The attack on Chan Yun, 62, from the Sydney suburb of Newington, happened as TripAdvisor, one of the world's largest travel websites, and its booking service Viator, announced it would not longer sell tickets to attractions where travellers come into contact with wild animals or engendered species held in captivity. 

Mr Chan's deeply distressed family issued a statement warning Australians travelling overseas about the dangers of interacting with wild animals, including young elephants.

A family friend said the untrained female elephant appeared calm as it roamed an area of Mai Khao beach on Phuket's north-west coast near five star resorts where there was no keeper, fence or warning sign.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/elephant-attacks-australian-man-on-phuket-thailand-20161103-gshnhf.html

-- Sydney Morning Herald 2016-11-04

4 hours ago, webfact said:

An unsupervised four-year-old elephant suddenly became agitated and attacked an Australian man on the Thai resort island of Phuket

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the untrained female elephant appeared calm as it roamed an area of Mai Khao beach on Phuket's north-west coast near five star resorts where there was no keeper, fence or warning sign.

They probably don't have the full story, but why the hell is an untrained, unsupervised, unfenced elephant roaming around near five star resorts!!

4 hours ago, The man from udon said:

Another one that dislikes aussies.only joking of course.i love neighbors and fosters.

I'm thinking Mr Chan may be a former Hong Kong resident, who left with his money

As for the beer

Its funny but I don't know any Aussie that likes Fosters

Its one of those been there tried that sort of beer

"Family members, who travelled to Phuket for a family wedding, face huge medical bills because his travel insurance has been rejected because of a pre-existing medical condition, the friend said."

I wonder what sort of pre-existing medical condition would void an insurance claim for elephant trampling.

Just now, The man from udon said:

Yes but I'm scarred for life.as far as I know it's still on the box in the uk and fosters is flowing well around the slums of the uk.

I doubt you could even find a Fosters in a bottle shop in most parts of Australia these days.

Perhaps in the back behind the hundreds of boutique or imported beers.  Australians are more likely to be sipping a Belgium, Mexican or German beer than Fosters.

The last one I had was in London in the early 90's. And it was only one!

10 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

You get to keep him for sending back that Germaine Greer thing.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/news/2016/10/fosters-presents-the-golden-pint........yes it's still on tap and you've got the chance to be deported to Australia if you win.trust me we have a lot worse than good old germaine we could send you.i like Jason,he's been on the ropes a bit in his life but pulled through ok.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

"Family members, who travelled to Phuket for a family wedding, face huge medical bills because his travel insurance has been rejected because of a pre-existing medical condition, the friend said."

I wonder what sort of pre-existing medical condition would void an insurance claim for elephant trampling.

Had me intrigued too. What is the point of travel insurance if it doesn't pay out for something like this?!

4 hours ago, Kiwiken said:

Phew at least it was only an Aussie.

LMAO..... Barstool!!!

ironically, only yesterday, I wrote an agoda hotel review, post visiting Laos, warning tourists not to interact with wild animals, especially elephants.

but they don't listen.

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Please, please take back Rolf Harris.

One of your exports we don't want any more......

Hes currently locked up in HMP Stafford.... seems even you Brits couldn't tolerate him anymore....but... you did encourage him... so now is the time to reap what you sow ?

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Mental health issues.

Maybe this was also the reason for this incident.

Archived