Elephant attacks Australian man on Phuket

webfact

4 hours ago, Old Croc said:

"Family members, who travelled to Phuket for a family wedding, face huge medical bills because his travel insurance has been rejected because of a pre-existing medical condition, the friend said."

I wonder what sort of pre-existing medical condition would void an insurance claim for elephant trampling.

A condition that prevented him doing the 100 yards in under 10 seconds.

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

"Family members, who travelled to Phuket for a family wedding, face huge medical bills because his travel insurance has been rejected because of a pre-existing medical condition, the friend said."

I wonder what sort of pre-existing medical condition would void an insurance claim for elephant trampling.

Maybe a truncated aorta?

5 hours ago, Old Croc said:

If he was using an Australian insurance company...(which would be risky at best) ...probably a case of having the flu once would exempt him, they're so bad!

It does not have to be related to the accident. Lying on the application form can make the whole insurance policy void, no matter whether the cause of the claim is related to the specific question.

Sent from my ROBBY using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

11 hours ago, Beats56 said:

There are a.couple of things I don't trust. One is helicopters and wild animals.

I would never take a.ride on either.

The only aerodynamic difference between a helicopter and fixed wing aircraft is that the chopper has a rotary wing.

But are you saying that if your life was in danger you'd refuse to be transported in an air ambulance even though it might save your life?

How things change!

The Phuket Gazette now has reported on this incident.

They state the man's name is Chan Yong Shun, different from the OP.

The attack occurred in a forest not on the beach.

The elephant was restrained, with a chain attached to a tree.

The Insurance company is honouring their policy.

The tourist got too close while taking pictures and was swatted with the elephants trunk.

The elephant had been imported illegally and ordered to be removed from the Island. This has now happened.

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

How things change!

The tourist got too close while taking pictures and was swatted with the elephants trunk.

The elephant had been imported illegally and ordered to be removed from the Island. This has now happened.

Yes, I read that PG story. Much more informative.

On 11/4/2016 at 11:45 AM, Old Croc said:

I doubt you could even find a Fosters in a bottle shop in most parts of Australia these days.

Perhaps in the back behind the hundreds of boutique or imported beers.  Australians are more likely to be sipping a Belgium, Mexican or German beer than Fosters.

The last one I had was in London in the early 90's. And it was only one!

Fosters is nasty stuff it's the only beer that tastes worse the more you drink. Kind of a mettalic taste.

His travel insurance has been rejected due to a pre-existing condition.

I doubt it was anything to do with being stomped on by an elephant. Any excuse to weasel out! Beware and be honest on insurance applications.

On 04/11/2016 at 11:30 AM, Old Croc said:

Any condition that he maybe didn't declare to the insurance company would be grounds for voiding the policy.  The type of injury would be irrelevant.

On 04/11/2016 at 2:48 PM, Spock said:

Had me intrigued too. What is the point of travel insurance if it doesn't pay out for something like this?!

If a pre-existing medical condition is not disclosed on an application that asks for those details then it's fraudulent application and the company is within it's rights to void the policy.   Anyone who wants to have no risk of a policy being cancelled very simply shouldn't lie on the application.

12 hours ago, Old Croc said:

How things change!

You seem to be right, except for the insurance bit, the PG report doesn't say that the insurance company is honouring the policy.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

His travel insurance has been rejected due to a pre-existing condition.

I doubt it was anything to do with being stomped on by an elephant. Any excuse to weasel out! Beware and be honest on insurance applications.

"Any excuse to weasel out! Beware and be honest on insurance applications."

In other words don't be weasel by trying to defraud the insurance company.  If you do, you will be in the wrong, not the insurer.

9 hours ago, gdgbb said:

"Any excuse to weasel out! Beware and be honest on insurance applications."

In other words don't be weasel by trying to defraud the insurance company.  If you do, you will be in the wrong, not the insurer.

Yes, the guy deliberately got stomped on by an elephant and the insurer declined because he forgot to tick that box.

10 hours ago, gdgbb said:

If a pre-existing medical condition is not disclosed on an application that asks for those details then it's fraudulent application and the company is within it's rights to void the policy.   Anyone who wants to have no risk of a policy being cancelled very simply shouldn't lie on the application.

Exactly, see my earlier post.

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, the guy deliberately got stomped on by an elephant and the insurer declined because he forgot to tick that box.

That has nothing to do with it.

But if you have had heart disease in the past, on the application form say 'no heart problems in the past', and get involved in a traffic accident, that could be grounds to assess the full policy and declare it void, since you have lied on the application form.

Simply tell the truth and you''ll be fine.

13 hours ago, gdgbb said:

You seem to be right, except for the insurance bit, the PG report doesn't say that the insurance company is honouring the policy.

From the PG article:

“Mr Shun understands that this was an accident. No charges were pressed and his medical expenses are covered by health insurance,” said Col Prawit.

On 05/11/2016 at 0:51 PM, Old Croc said:

How things change!

Maybe tomorrow it will be reported as an attempted suicide, an entirely the foreigners fault. :smile:

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

From the PG article:

“Mr Shun understands that this was an accident. No charges were pressed and his medical expenses are covered by health insurance,” said Col Prawit.

"his medical expenses are covered by health insurance" - health insurance, or travel insurance?  Same Same - but Different. 

It will be interesting to see if other tourist places start losing bookings.  Nong Nooch in Pattaya for example has that elephant show where you can go out and lie down and have an elephant walk over and around you.  Obvious some liability issues here. But I would think just a disclaimer and some words on the tickets should be enough to avoid lawsuits?

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:48 PM, The Old Bull said:

Fosters is nasty stuff it's the only beer that tastes worse the more you drink. Kind of a mettalic taste.

You are correct, I noticed the metallic taste  but then I discovered you don't swallow the can with the drink in it.  Much better after that. 

On being close to large animals.  I spent a fair amount of time with horses and even these have amazing strength if spooked or they decide on a direction  action they want to take.  Many thousands of people have been killed by horses over the years - so elephants are a risk.  better to enjoy them from a distance or at least realise their potential for destruction.

Archived