Video: Glimpse of the future - from Pattaya to Hua Hin in one hour

rooster59

Video: Glimpse of the future - from Pattaya to Hua Hin in one hour

A promotional video gives a glimpse into the future for potential travelers between Pattaya and Hua Hin.

The catamaran ferry "Anatasia" would slash journey times between the eastern seaboard and Prajuab Kirrikhan from the present five or six hour road journey at to little over one hour.

The boat would be able to travel across the Gulf of Thailand at speeds up to 148 kilometers an hour. Both cars and people could use the service.

The catamarans are estimated to cost 900 million baht each. There would be three ports near Pattaya, Pranburi south of Hua Hin and at Bang Pu.

Basic agreements about the service have been reached but the details are still being ironed out as funding is sought.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-05

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The new dream job for Thai children of all ages, being able to legally steer a catamaran, anything,  at 148 Kph.

Now let's see what it can really do !

Pity help the ferry itself or anything that happens to be in it's path at 148kph. Which could be a submarine, a cruise liner, or an old prop driven tourist ferry with hundreds of people on board. Thailand and nautical safety don't rhyme. In the past safety has been known to be compromised by overloading and greed.

31 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

The new dream job for Thai children of all ages, being able to legally steer a catamaran, anything,  at 148 Kph.

Now let's see what it can really do !

A dream job yes, but the qualifications will be very steep. You will have to be able to swim some 80 kms really fast, how else will you be able to flee the scene after an accident?

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Basic agreements about the service have been reached but the details are still being ironed out as funding is sought.

Ah yes the Thai perpetual sticky wicket the funding. Maybe cancel 1 sub to pay for it. This project makes more sense than a submarine which only carries men and weaponry an exercise in futility as there is no threat of attack from anywhere but China and that is a economical one not military. That would be a David and Goliath confrontation.

4 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

In the past safety has been known to be compromised by overloading and greed.

You don't say hmm. Yes your right but most of these cases seem to be in limbo. Have the relatives of the deceased received any government compensation yet just asking.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

at speeds up to 148 kilometers an hour.

That includes 20 kms / hour.

The fastest I've found is 107.6  kms /hr.

http://www.incat.com.au/domino/incat/incatweb.nsf/v-print-friendly/7F29061E7E78BBCDCA257B8E00176876?OpenDocument

All safely aboard with Captain Somchai at the helm.

I would guess this is not aimed at the 450 Baht budget traveller.

3 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

That includes 20 kms / hour.

The fastest I've found is 107.6  kms /hr.

http://www.incat.com.au/domino/incat/incatweb.nsf/v-print-friendly/7F29061E7E78BBCDCA257B8E00176876?OpenDocument

All safely aboard with Captain Somchai at the helm.

I would guess this is not aimed at the 450 Baht budget traveller.

I understand Captain Pugwash has been pre-selected for the job with Seaman Staines as First mate and Master Bates as the deck hand.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

You don't say hmm. Yes your right but most of these cases seem to be in limbo. Have the relatives of the deceased received any government compensation yet just asking.

Can we please help educate others here who have found this site....."Just Asking" is old, tired and worn out. Normal "English" on this forum should rule the day.

ChrisY1...... You took the words right out of my mouth!  It will never happen.

In the very early 90s I visited what I recall as being a brand new dock in Hua Hin which I was told was going to be used for a new ferry service connecting Hua Hin to Pattaya, via the Gulf of Thailand.  I was shown the pier/dock when visiting a Thai woman who my Thai friend knew & introduced me to.  That was about 23 years ago.

More likely either another dream of starting a big busines, and/or a great angle to milk unsuspecting investors.  I am sure you can walk from Pattaya to Hua Hin before anything of the likes of this is put into service.  I read long ago that there was a small scale shuttle which connected the two cities, but it was short lived.

By the way, $3,000,000 per ferry plus operating expenses.  Yea,, greatly investment.  Boats suck to start with.  Put a monkey at the helm.  I wonder how I can invest in this company, not. 

Interesting; and with a catamaran like that – up to 148 km/hour – it would take 3 to 3½ hour from Bangkok to Koh Tao, and 4 to 4½ hour to Koh Phangan and Koh Samui; could be via Hua Hin. 900 million baht is around 27 million US$, one third of the price of a 89.6 million US$ Airbus A319 with close to 150 seats, operated by Bangkok Air. Thinking of air fares between BKK and HKT (Phuket); no Samui airport fees; speed compared to investment; but unknown passenger comparison; believe that ticket-price could be in an attractive level. Probably not an unrealistic thought – however, apart from potentially obstructions at sea, and lower speed...

3 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

HSS (Cat with 4 turbine engines 2 x 20,000 hp and 2 x 14,000 hp) DunLaoghaire to Holyhead cruised @ 40 knots /74 kph.

Watch the official trailer if you don't believe it:

A while back in Oz I was on the Queenscliff to Sorrento ferry 'MV Sorrento ' and it is as slow as a wet week......11 knots (20.4kph )!  For the Phattaya to Hua Hin trip they will need a ferry half the size and  6 times the Horse Power to get anywhere near 100kmh

"

The MV Sorrento

Built in Launceston, Tasmania in 2001

Technical Specifications

Length: 61.4 metres
Length waterline: 57.0 metres
Beam: 17.4 metres
Depth to main deck: 4.5 metres
Draft: 2.3 metres
Displacement (loaded): 750 tones
Tonnage: 3,200 GRT
Fuel: 80,000 litres
Main Engines: 2 x Cummins KTA38-M2, 1300hp at 1800rpm
Propulsion Thrusters: 2 x Ulstein Aquamaster US1201 CRP Azimuth
Side Thrusters: 2 x Kamewa Ulstein 45 TV controllable pitch; 300kw/18
Auxillary Engines Motor: Cummins KTA38/Onan 837 for bow thruster
Generators 2 x Cummins 6BT 5.9 G2M gensets

Vehicle Capacity

Main Deck: 56 cars or a combination of 30 cars & 7 tourist buses or trucks
Mezzanine Deck: 24 Cars
Passenger Capacity: 700
Service Speed: 11 knots

"

Now if they had one of these ...

OK, not a car carrier, but it gets near their passenger throughput.

Or one that can carry 1,000 tons (yes, 1,000 tons)

"a battleship that learned to fly".

One thing comes to mind. Waste of money! They should spend the money instead on turning Pattaya back into a small coastal fishing town it was decades ago. Re-name it 'Classic Pattaya'. Take the Blackpool part out and bring back the classic Thai charm. Keep walking street but change it into a pirates of the carribean theme.

That's what I would do, if it were up to me. But, it ain't.

Archived