Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At scotbkk: i stayed clear from the women except for the occasional one night stand ? i came here in my mid 30s and didnt need a boost in self esteem or  second youth. I didnt divorce a western "whale" like so many here like to call home females. i wasnt mysogene. I truly loved all days around here. Studied thai. Travelled each town from the south to the north. Met great people. But its not my habitat and since the junta i decided to leave. Im not bitter and can always return in 10 years when im 50+ and overweight and bald ??

I'm from Skandinavia,my home country sucks big time..not going back.

Thailand for 15 years,married for 12..To be honest,this is the first time in life (58)that worry about what i talk about/write..police not caring to much about doing proper Policework,fake this fake that..Only thing i can say that change is Internet and Internet speed i get.Moore chops catering us expats,like Tops..moore to choose from..but paying same as at home..my choice..fare enough.

My wife wants me to come down on Thailevel and stop talking politics,not care so much about others just be a selfish Thai/farang..can NOT.And belive me i warned her moore then once,soon i'm living..Maybe for South America..or Vietnam..But for now,i just try to be and think as a Thai..in other words..not think at all,or atleast very little..sorry to say but when i look at my stepdaughter i feel sorry for her and her 2 year old son..the toolbox is moore or less emty,no drive..nothing and belive i've tryed..end of ranting...PS.And i'm far from perfect but i never stop the will to learn new things.DS

18 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Obviously complete nonsense.

"In fact half of all expats have considered leaving the country over the last year."

Really?  How would Thaivisa know that, have they surveyed every expat in Thailand or are they assuming, wrongly, that all expats in the country are Thaivisa readers and that they all responded to the survey? 

I wonder how many responded to the survey, so far no one here has said they did but it's early days'

Id say TVF is a pretty decent point of reference for expats in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, mercman24 said:

its the jumping through hoops thing that sticks up my craw, they like to take my money, i bet my monthy spends are  more 12 of your average thai,(probably more) if we all decided to up sticks one day (ok it aint gonna happen) this place would be bancrupt overnight,

One small thing you forgot, "they wouldn't give a rats ass"

I am continually amazed by the number of people who even respond to surveys like this. Myself included by making this post.

Basing assumptions on 577 people's viewpoints that this holds true throughout the Nation doesn't do it for me. No information given as to where (location) people were interviewed, which 'tier' they belonged?

Not that it would make much difference to me anyway. Rant over, and hope that all your hard work has managed to fuel feelings to at least some of the readers.

Cambodia wouldn't an option for me. Comparing to Thailand, poorer infrastructure, health care, internet and so on. This weights more than the lower living costs and easier visa rules. To me, it would be a back step.

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

This would be of great interest especially now. With immigration rules being tighten regularly and xenophobia on the rise. What options are there for an expat to live, work or retire else where in South East Asia?

There's not many options unless you have a degree or do specialized work, bearing in mind that eventually there wont be many places left without the same applying as Thailand , Australia has a great deal with Singapore due to defence agreements , unfortunately it is to expensive

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

Any real suggestions what can be done to make expats happier with their lot!

I for one don't feel entirely secure with investing money in property etc. it's far too risky never having that good feel factor. All these people who profess they're living in Paradise need their heads examined if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps a shift within Thailand, depending on what each X-pat requires, me personally, I prefer living in the sticks, as far away from civilisation as I can be, but within a reasonable distance to buy my groceries and visit a red light district to empty my balls with a different female occasionally, alternatively take an hour 40 flight to Phuket for a week, maybe I need my head read ?

I would never invest in Thailand, as you said, far too risky and depending on where your home country is, they would be encouraging you to invest there at minimal, if any tax, e.g. back in Australia its 10% on any interest earned in a bank (withheld), no tax on fully franked shares, (tax already paid) and no capital gains tax on shares, although you can forget about property, because they will start with your left hand, and then take your right.

Perhaps a shift within Thailand, depending on what each X-pat requires, me personally, I prefer living in the sticks, as far away from civilisation as I can be, but within a reasonable distance to buy my groceries and visit a red light district to empty my balls with a different female occasionally, alternatively take an hour 40 flight to Phuket for a week, maybe I need my head read ?

I would never invest in Thailand, as you said, far too risky and depending on where your home country is, they would be encouraging you to invest there at minimal, if any tax, e.g. back in Australia its 10% on any interest earned in a bank (withheld), no tax on fully franked shares, (tax already paid) and no capital gains tax on shares, although you can forget about property, because they will start with your left hand, and then take your right.

Hahaha
Right on Bro my kinda thinking !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Maverell said:

If I ever leave Thailand it will because I am unable to afford to live here without using my savings. The dwindling value of the GBP is forcing it on many Brits. Simple as that.

I am looking to leave Bangkok for a cheaper area right now, but it will still be in Thailand. Not sure about what I will do in a year or two though.

Probably Cambodia, or back to the UK to join the other scroungers....5555

Sad to hear, but I heard just the other day that the pound was on the rise, well that is how I read it, the story said something about a supreme court ruling saying that the prime minister couldn't exit brexit, might want to look into that, because if that is correct, I might have just made your day, because the pound would shoot back up.

46 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Obviously complete nonsense.

"In fact half of all expats have considered leaving the country over the last year."

Really?  How would Thaivisa know that, have they surveyed every expat in Thailand or are they assuming, wrongly, that all expats in the country are Thaivisa readers and that they all responded to the survey? 

I wonder how many responded to the survey, so far no one here has said they did but it's early days'

573 is the number, just under the words to when

b.png.c651bda6888c27c58d1c5d3616c23b85.png

44 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I've been here going on 9 years now, and my "happiness level" is about the same as it was in the beginning.  First, I had no illusions about Thailand being "paradise", or the perfect place for me to live.  I accepted it as a new, different country, with it's up's & down's, it's good & bad, like any place else, including the U.S., where I came from.  I didn't come to Thailand for Thailand. I came to Thailand to get away from the U.S., which was becoming much too expensive for me to live on my VA Disability pension.  

I've been married to the same woman, who is only 10 years younger than I am, for most of those 9 years, and have a wonderful, loving adopted son, who is working on his Master's in Thai Education, and a niece studying for her law degree, who calls me her dad as well.  Life is good.  Perfect?  Not by a long shot, but 10 times, or more, better than it would be back in the States living alone in an apartment.  I speak enough Thai so that when I take a 2-4 day road trip on my bike, I have no problems getting by. 

Life ain't "great", but it's damn good for me, and that's just fine. 

Amen, oh by the way, if the bikes not Jap, its crap 555

I think there is a lot of denial among expats, that many of us have looked, either actively, or passively into moving.

I have a life here, which if I close my eyes to all that goes on around me, I quite content with.

But when the real Thailand does 'get' to me I'd be a liar if I said i haven't looked into moving.

As a Hispanic American I have contemplated moving to Mexico, back to my families home, and then again to South Dakota where I have a house.

Either would in reality be, if not as cheap, be pretty close to what it costs to live here

Vietnam specially Ho Chi Minh will be a very nice place to live in 4-5 yrs so dear expats living in Thailand will have more options. Me as a foreigner feel I was much more welcome under the Thaksin government.  This military junta does not like foreigners. 

2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

Archived