Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

4 minutes ago, Kabula said:

If you are unhappy, go back to your home country for a re-boot, and you will understand how good you had It!

No matter where you are, your life is what you make it.

At last...I was waiting for the 'if you don't like it go home' comment.

Sometimes my friend a little reasoned argument pro and against is good for the soul. Outright dogma is what closes the human brain to thought and creativity.

I may, or may not decide to move, but the thought process is fluid. If thought was static, at the age 5, I wanted to be an astronaut, well that didn't turn out so well!

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

The somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore?

Why not?

Personal experience, I presume?

Dark-skinned Issarnite?

Oh dear, Bangkok ideas?

Living in Thailand, in the Isan for 11 years now, have adapted to life here, without "going native".

Quite clear, you can't or won't adapt.

46 minutes ago, Mook23 said:

At scotbkk: i stayed clear from the women except for the occasional one night stand ? i came here in my mid 30s and didnt need a boost in self esteem or  second youth. I didnt divorce a western "whale" like so many here like to call home females. i wasnt mysogene. I truly loved all days around here. Studied thai. Travelled each town from the south to the north. Met great people. But its not my habitat and since the junta i decided to leave. Im not bitter and can always return in 10 years when im 50+ and overweight and bald ??

Your forgot to add after 50+ and overweight and bald with money, because without money at that age, being overweight and bald, I would imagine that there would be no honey, and as you get older, your urges come on more frequently as opposed to when you at your 30's 555

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

Within the first 5 years (some people 5 minutes) you realise the milking system some say they enjoy it many admit to their mistakes and move on.

Some write on Thaivisa to point out how clever the wife and family are.

Some tell the truth.

Traveling to Thailand you pass many fantastic places to get here its got to be the Bitches not the Beaches and they do loose their appeal.

Maybe some of these fantastic different ones will get a night out and we can all sample their wares.

I am sure they will be up for it its in their cultured nature.

1 hour ago, trogers said:

Like to move back, but many cannot afford to.

They would have found out that inflation affected their home nations as well, and from a higher base cost...

Very true. In the US right now and prices are stunningly high. Especially in larger metro areas. Rent on a decent one bedroom apartment in a good area of Los Angeles is up to 100,000 baht per month. That same dwelling is in the 30 million baht range to buy. Small houses are 25-40 million baht. Food is crazy expensive. The clowns in power go on and on about low inflation. One of the great lies. No wonder few believe anything they say. 

I for one am staying and consider myself relatively fulfilled. Granted I have some complaints. But such is life. 

Just now, hansnl said:

The somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore?

Why not?

Personal experience, I presume?

Dark-skinned Issarnite?

Oh dear, Bangkok ideas?

Living in Thailand, in the Isan for 11 years now, have adapted to life here, without "going native".

Quite clear, you can't or won't adapt.

Actually yes, around 1985, when I drank in Pat Pong as a recent expat, I thought these dark-skinned beauties most attractive.  Gradually, I saw them as what they were - Isarn farmers daughters on the game with their "dtang boeng" noses. You'll know what that means if you speak the local dialect.

After living in Isarn for over 20 years, quite frankly, I find them very unattractive compared to Thai women from the Central or Northern regions. You'll find that 99% of men here agree. 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Cambodia's visa system is easier but they lack decent medical care. 

I think it's obvious that most foreigners if they left Thailand would move back to their home nations. 

Not if it's the UK, they won't like being under Sharia law when it comes in the not to distant future. If what I read is true JT, your country, America seems to be going the same way.

1 hour ago, ScotBkk said:

Any real suggestions what can be done to make expats happier with their lot!

I for one don't feel entirely secure with investing money in property etc. it's far too risky never having that good feel factor. All these people who profess they're living in Paradise need their heads examined if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no paradise so if you are looking for it give up now.

17 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Honda CB300f for LONG road trips,  300cc Forza for short to medium road trips, and 150 PCX for running into town. :smile:

I miss my Kawasaki ZZR 1100 sports tourer (battle-star galactica) I used to call her 

Just now, impulse said:

So true for most folks trying the geographical fix.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Absolutely, sadly there is an exodus of Pattaya dwellers to Cambo, as they call it, when they get low on their funds and can't afford to feed their sexual addiction. 

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Most of the 50% who have 'considered leaving Thailand' will not go.

Instead, they will continue to vent their anger at Thailand, and it's people, on Thaivisa on a daily basis.

Good riddence if they do go.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

Most of the 50% who have 'considered leaving Thailand' will not go.

Instead, they will continue to vent their anger at Thailand, and it's people, on Thaivisa on a daily basis.

Right on. Roi Et Noi ha them totally under the thumb.  she's already milled them for the toyota hilux and house.

I think if you are talking about Pattaya dwellers only. Why on earth would anyone else want to go to Cambodia?

I was never in the mould of a Pattaya dweller. I've lived and worked in Cambodia for 10 years and have met 2 others that I knew in Thailand in a similar situation here. Cambodia just isn't the hellhole that many who've been here for 5 minutes or likely not at all seem to think it is. I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam and the Philippines. Cambodia is the place for me.

That said, as always, one man's meat.......

2 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

I would guess Cambo

i just did my first trip to cambodia after several years of meaning to visit there. i was almost expecting to be disappointed but it is a pretty good place.  i know some guys there who have cheap long term visas and many of them work and run their own businesses. i was especially impressed with the restaurants. many are western owned and run and the western food and the food was excellent. main down side for me was the lack of decent schools and for some older guys i would say the health care may be a problem. i will take my kids back to nz for high school and i may consider cambodia for retirement after that.

There is no paradise so if you are looking for it give up now.

No disrespect but I've never even contemplated looking at Thailand as Paradise. Would hate to reach retirement age (65) then stay in a seemingly junta controlled state besides worrying about medical emergencies. Don't want to get in too heavy about Thai medical institutions but have decided commuting to and fro to Thailand is my best bet.

I'm an usual Farang. I prefer my own kind ... None of that Thai apologist <deleted> does anything for me ....,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, roadrunner32 said:

Ok but this survey don't explain the reasons of this displeased, so I try to take a  gamble. Probably most expats are unhappy due to the thai authorities behavior against them, specially against the long term stayers 

What kind of long term stayers? Not those who had to do visa runs...?

I see no treatment change to those with authentic visas...

Have I missed something? I've read through the past 3 pages of comments and no one (unless I missed it - which is possible) seems to be addressing the elephant in the living-room.

Nearly every educated Westerner I have spoken to in the last year is deeply uneasy and unhappy about what is happening here, what this place is being turned into - what it already has, in fact, become (which we are not allowed to say - itself a symptom of the times here). Many of us are shocked by how far the plummet into feudalism and mediaevalism has plunged the Thai people, and indeed all of us.

As with most of my Western colleagues (some of whom have now left Thailand), I have considered leaving - because I don't like petty, brainless, bullying d - d- - dinosaurs. But the many good qualities of many Thai people, plus my own very long-term relationship and domestic arrangements here, make me remain - for now, at least. 

I think many of us worry about what the future may hold here - I know I do  ....

40 minutes ago, mcfish said:

99.9% of Cambodian expats are miserable within 7 days according to a recent survey

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

Total BS. I'm into my 11th year in Cambodia, and please don't tell me that I'm part of the 0.1%. There are many others here like me. And yes I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam and the Philippines, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Archived