Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

I've been here going on 9 years now, and my "happiness level" is about the same as it was in the beginning.  First, I had no illusions about Thailand being "paradise", or the perfect place for me to live.  I accepted it as a new, different country, with it's up's & down's, it's good & bad, like any place else, including the U.S., where I came from.  I didn't come to Thailand for Thailand. I came to Thailand to get away from the U.S., which was becoming much too expensive for me to live on my VA Disability pension.  

I've been married to the same woman, who is only 10 years younger than I am, for most of those 9 years, and have a wonderful, loving adopted son, who is working on his Master's in Thai Education, and a niece studying for her law degree, who calls me her dad as well.  Life is good.  Perfect?  Not by a long shot, but 10 times, or more, better than it would be back in the States living alone in an apartment.  I speak enough Thai so that when I take a 2-4 day road trip on my bike, I have no problems getting by. 

Life ain't "great", but it's damn good for me, and that's just fine. 

Sorry you had an apartment and no one to share it with. Thailand was great in the 70's and 80's but after that each year it ha been going down. Too much restrictions and hoop jumping just because i'm not Thai. My house 2 cars and motorcycle in Florida are all paid for. I have relatives here that i come to visit but it gets so boring after awhile. i'm not a whore monger or gutter drunk so that aspect has no appeal to me. I also have my VA pension and it works fine for me in Florida !!! iI once tried a retirement visa and i was climbing the walls to get back to America. after 8 months. My wife is Thai and she would rather stay in America too!!!  Been married 43 years and am still happy with a wife who worked herself up to be a General Manager of a Fast Food company. I have a house in Korat, city limits that i stay in when i visit. The medical care here is not the greatest in the world and always check any meds given out bu Bangkok and St. Mary's hospitals because they do not care about your own medications and interactions. Twice had i not looked up the medications for interactions i probably would have died!!! This is after i gave the doctors a copy of my current medications. The streets here have not changed from the 70's. Now with all the Idiots on the road i have someone drive me, not to mention the terrible traffic problems too. Thai people themselves have changed allot. i remember before when your Thai friends would pay for you and or share an expense. Now everyone wants your money and most attractions cost you more because your not Thai. Basically a nice place to visit but i would never, ever stay here Permanently!!!!!   

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Gimino said:

It might serve a useful purpose to know the reasons for any dissatisfaction. For example, living at the same address for years, yet

required to do a 90 day report to show you have not moved. In other words, you must lodge a report when you have nothing to report.

The government could easily fix that. Require reporting only when you move. Another irritant is paying to enter parks and various places

of interest as a farang when the Thai pays but little or nothing at all. Such discrimination is insulting. Those are but two irritants

that could and should be remedied straight away. The expat has chosen to live here. He is, with rare exception law abiding and even if

not a business owner, makes a contribution to the community. Imagine if all the expats suddenly left. That would surely put a dent in

the Thai economy. 

Or maybe they just miss the grandchildren, are going home for some free medical, etc

There could be hundreds of reasons, nothing to do with immigration or free national parks.

1 hour ago, Clarinet man said:

I was in Chiang Mai  for 3 years  . I left 2 reasons couldn't  handle  the 90 day report and not allowed  to play music  outside.  Who in heaven's name play dixieland  jazz in Thailand  . I would  not be taking any job from any Thai.  There loss 

They probably don't like dixieland music, 90 day report, no problem for me, would have loved to hear some dixie, like you said, their loss, yeee-haaa

12 minutes ago, trogers said:

I would have thought a copy of your passport and a copy of the landlord's ID card are to be attached in your rental contract as standard.

You're wrong about copy of contract/landord's ID card and the other form he needed to complete.  They were all new requirements within the past 12 months or so. Edit - or at least they were in my case.

And, as I also mentioned if you'd quoted my post in full - since then we have the new form repeating all the other info. plus vehicles owned/social media connections/places frequently visited etc. and now the 'photo outside house showing house number.

Yes, they're all small things (apart from suddenly having to get various things from landlord who lives in Bangkok....) - but those various, increasing, small things add up to making it obvious that we're far from liked by the authorities.

Total BS. I'm into my 11th year in Cambodia, and please don't tell me that I'm part of the 0.1%. There are many others here like me. And yes I've lived in Hong Kong, Thailand, China, Vietnam and the Philippines, so I do know what I'm talking about.

I just thought one BS survey deserved another BS survey. I didn't think anyone would actually bight! Lol

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

45 minutes ago, robbobr said:

I agree, i left 6 mths ago back to Australia after 3.5 yrs in Thailand, boring conversation even with some expats going over the same topics and saying the same boring things, too much interference by Military, no security in investing, i lost $100k on a condo in Phuket after the coup and ghe Russians departed dumping their properties on the market at ridiculous prices, uncontrolled development of condos on the island and low end tourists. Thailand has lost its appeal.

Why on earth would you invest in property in Thailand, you should have purchased something in Sydney 3.5 years ago, you would have made 50% on average on your money, talking from a retired Ozzie Valuers point of view. The problem with some people buying property is they chase the guaranteed developers "inflated" rental return, but when that guaranteed  period, usually 2 or 3 years is up, that 7% guaranteed return gets reduced to market, probably 2%, developers are not stupid, they factor the inflated return into the purchase price.

Phuket, is great for a holiday, to live, no thanks, after a week I am itching to get the F-out of there, take me home to Issan where its green, green, green and away from all the crazy farangs, especially the Ozzies, oy oy oy

Interference by the military junta, again, you didn't do your homework and blame it easily on Thailand: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/thailand-s-19th-coup-underscores-country-s-fatal-flaw-1.2658846

I do not know about on tourist spots or big cities, but in small Thai towns cost of living still the same or less than 5 years ago. No cheaper living in any part of the world, and Thailand is safer than most cheap retirement destinations. Working locally  here may be a problem for some. To do business with Thai people is a nightmare. No problems in to be retired here and with a decent income, but I can see that may be a problem for very high income educated foreigners. Not very many cultural activities in Thailand. Unfortunately....I am a "poor" farang. No better choices.

If you are a long term expat- you remember a kinder , gentler Thailand when people smile naturally and money was not the prime reason for existence. As the World changed, Thailand has changed. I, frankly, do not like the new Thailand as much as I liked the 'old' Thailand. People are still friendly but many are just plain tired and worn out and the natural Thai smile not as easily given. In addition, there are just too many foreigners in Thailand and most Thais have 'farang fatigue'.

If I was single and starting out anew I would go to Cambodia- It is like Thailand was 50years ago- a fresh developing country that can be moulded into whatever the people desire and want. The smiles are genuine and the living is much cheaper and easieer. Unfortunately, Thailand has emulated all the things that are wrong in the West and these are all the things that Westerners have left because they just don't like them.

2 hours ago, Mook23 said:

True. Losers will be losers. Thailand isnt receiving the best quality of farlangs. In fact. Many farlang i have met here are low level. Many dont even speak enough thai to say more than hello and thank you.  Yet these very people feel superior. Oh well. People 555.

Yep - some can't even spell Farang.

2 hours ago, Mook23 said:

At scotbkk: i stayed clear from the women except for the occasional one night stand ? i came here in my mid 30s and didnt need a boost in self esteem or  second youth. I didnt divorce a western "whale" like so many here like to call home females. i wasnt mysogene. I truly loved all days around here. Studied thai. Travelled each town from the south to the north. Met great people. But its not my habitat and since the junta i decided to leave. Im not bitter and can always return in 10 years when im 50+ and overweight and bald ??

Or you could just eat a lot, shave your head, and come back next year!  Hehehe . . .

I myself, have complained a lot about the escalating corruption and increasing crimes the last 4 years in TV. 

As result, I took the necessary decision to leave Thailand.

Increasing cost paired with the corruption made me get to that decision faster as I stick to my believes to never  pay ANY tea money regardless if it makes life smother in Thailand (would never call it LOS anymore). The military has also put the country in a downward spiral that it won't get out off easy.

Live in Thailand in the future, I think not, even my Thai wife agrees with me that it's not worth the hassle or that the corrupt police, military, banks etc. will change anytime soon.

There are plenty of other states to investigate and to start a new life in.

59 minutes ago, Sparkles said:

Not many Australians would consider moving back to Australia,the cost of livings now amongst the highest in the world,the lucky country is no more

Finally an ozzie, ozzie ozzie oy oy oy who speaks some truth, thought I was alone here on TVF, apart from a mixed bag who think Australia is still the lucky country.

High taxes, very high property prices in (Sydney), and according to an ABS survey there has been no increase to wages growth for more than a decade, I totally agree with you, the cost of living is one of the highest in the world. It used to cost me $1,000 a week to live in Sydney, were it costs me $400 a week to live here with no change in living comforts, although the head F is gone 555

As one of the posters indicated-there is little mental stimulation amongst Thai people. Even though I can speak Thai- all conversations involve  minutia- I hardly ever can interest anyone in a conversation abut something that matters or is important. Even my wife- does not want to speak about serious matters but can spend hours talking about the mot mundane subjects. While I accept this as part of Thai culture- I would be remiss if I didn't caution people who are considering a long term relationship or life in Thailand to understand that there is very little  mental and emotional stimulation. Sometimes, I think that learning Thai did me in as now I understand the nuances of Thai life. Ignorance was bliss but in reality it was based upon a false dynamic. Modern Thailand has exacerbated the feeling that people do not communicate. They spend hours looking at so called 'smart' phones and becoming more and more ignorant of the real values one needs to have to live a productive life.

1 hour ago, gamini said:

I worked in Thailand when I was a young lad and I made many wonderful Thai friends. And when I had to leave and work in another country I vowed to come back. I missed my Thai friends and so many things about this country. I saved up enough money and retired to Thailand  some 20 years ago. The friends I made here when I was younger have been very supportive and helpful and I honestly never have a problem here. Their hospitality and friendship is something I never found in other countries.
The problem with many other expats here is they come because it's cheaper, better food, better climate or some other reason. They don't bother to make Thai friends and they have little feeling for the country itself or the people. Many of them criticise every aspect of Thailand and live in tourist ghettos which are very different from other places here . I daily read about all the problems in places like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui and to me they are just not Thailand and completely the opposite of the sort of place my friends would live in this country. Certainly if I had to live in any of these places I would want to leave.

Summed it up beautifully, well done 555

On 10/29/2016 at 0:37 PM, jvs said:

They will get a fine for smoking not a big deal.Possession with intent to sell is more serious.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

so is misery, i'll stick to apathy

So is apathy.  But I don't care.

46 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Am I missing something, what is the authorities behaviour against the long term stayers, fair question ?

Thai Authorities have made it easier to get citizenship.

3  years  working,  married  and Bob's your uncle.

2 hours ago, gr8fldanielle said:

no question as to why so many expats are not happy.

Might have something to do with having it made very clear every 90 days

that you're not one of us and your future does hang by thread here.

If a trip every 90 days, to show proof you still reside here is such an inconvenience, maybe you should not have come here in the first place ?

2 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

Being an American, I have recently looked at central Mexico

I have never been, but I hear great things about Costa Rica.  Not only would it be easier to learn Spanish than Thai, but the Roman alphabet makes everything more accessible and  functioning easier  (menus, street signs, place names, buses, etc.) even if you are not fluent in the language.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

This would be of great interest especially now. With immigration rules being tighten regularly and xenophobia on the rise. What options are there for an expat to live, work or retire else where in South East Asia?

I moved from Thailand to Cyprus two months ago, not necessarily because I disliked Thailand more that I wanted to spend time and be located in Europe during these Brexit negotiations. It might be the case that anyone arriving before Article 50 is triggered will retain a right of abode in Europe.

You have to be careful buying property here but if you do so correctly you have all rights to land and buildings ... unlike Thailand. Another point that may be of interest is that the cost of my rent, utilities, food, entertainment is working out to be lower than in Thailand ... despite GBP falling against the Euro these last few months. That was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

We sold our Thai business (main source of money is the Dutch branch), sold the Phuket home, and we keep the BKK condo. Corruption and deteriorating values in the Kingdom caused us to leave it as a home base. Now we visit country and family in the school holidays as our kid gets education in Holland. Perhaps at some later point we'll make a southern European country or the US our base. Climate will be the main drive, as people in warm climates usually are more laid back than in the hectic west.

11 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

If a trip every 90 days, to show proof you still reside here is such an inconvenience, maybe you should not have come here in the first place ?

ThaiWrath, you didn't read the OPs post carefully. He was not referring to the inconvenience. I believe he was referring to the intent and the message of 90 Days reports and all the other impositions and limitations and a thousand tiny cuts:  You are falang, we are Thai.  Don't get too comfortable. This is not your home.  Don't forget your place in the natural order of things.  Don't get too uppity, boy!  

I can handle that, and I do.  OTOH, I don't see any reason for me to be naive or apologetic or in denial about what is going on.  Finally, so what if I find something "inconvenient" I reject the cliche often thrown out on TV what I should leave (or that I should not have come here in the first place). I find plenty of things to bitch about in every country I have visited and lived in, probably more so in the U.S. than anywhere.  However, it is not a rational response that therefore I should leave!

51 minutes ago, Gimino said:

It might serve a useful purpose to know the reasons for any dissatisfaction. For example, living at the same address for years, yet

required to do a 90 day report to show you have not moved. In other words, you must lodge a report when you have nothing to report.

The government could easily fix that. Require reporting only when you move. Another irritant is paying to enter parks and various places

of interest as a farang when the Thai pays but little or nothing at all. Such discrimination is insulting. Those are but two irritants

that could and should be remedied straight away. The expat has chosen to live here. He is, with rare exception law abiding and even if

not a business owner, makes a contribution to the community. Imagine if all the expats suddenly left. That would surely put a dent in

the Thai economy. 

What is with most of you guys, did anyone research Thailand before you moved here, research = knowledge "if we xpats all got up and left, the Thai economy would go down or have a dent in it", please think before you speak, you are dreaming, the bus leaves in 5 minutes, "up to you"

Discrimination has nothing to do with charging you to go into parks or entire various places, if you don't like it, don't go.

I will agree with you that the 90 day reporting could be improved as you state, but one thing you and many fail to get into your heads, this is NOT our country, so we have ZERO push, e.g. send a letter to our local member/vote, so we have to bite the bullet, just do it on line as others say or mail it or go in to the office, it won't kill you every 90 days, suffice to say feeling like I am reporting to a parole officer every 90 days makes me feel special 555 

After ten years I've decided to leave,  will be nice spending time with my parents as they are getting old. I was lucky enough to have a decent job with good money and visa,  etc.  But now jobless I won't be jumping through hoops just at to stay here,  seems desperate to me. Good luck to all of you who carry on in Thailand ,  I've realised this past month that Thailand is great for a holiday but working here isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't find Bangkok that fun anymore either. All the best.  Sootz

3 hours ago, Mook23 said:

True. Losers will be losers. Thailand isnt receiving the best quality of farlangs. In fact. Many farlang i have met here are low level. Many dont even speak enough thai to say more than hello and thank you.  Yet these very people feel superior. Oh well. People 555.

Totally agree with you about the majority of expats and tourists are not high quality foreigners. To put it kindly. Many are alcoholics, they date and marry bar girls, after living here for years can not speak any Thai. They depend totally on the bar girl for help. Bad bad bad idea. Anyone with common sense understands their future is all down hill from there. They bitch and moan about everything Thai. They rarely eat Thai food. They never spend anytime getting to know the locals . Ofcourse they can,t because they can,t speak Thai. They dress like total slobs, never smile and look miserable. Ever visit Ban Huay Yang ? Lasted there barely an hour .It was a freak show. They treat the Thais like crap . Scowl City. My policy is to keep a safe distance from most foreigners and the towns they live in. Guess what? Rarely if ever have i had a problem with the Thais. If you can,t handle it here please leave. More room for what few good foreigners that are here.

Archived