Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

rooster59

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been here since 2005 and genuinely like it. Its not perfect but no place is.  Far too many expats are not willing to accept that it isn't their home country and then go off and whinge when they can't have it their way.

It would be very interesting to show demographics of the voters. I suspect that BKK and Pattaya voters complain the most. 

4 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I think if you are talking about Pattaya dwellers only. Why on earth would anyone else want to go to Cambodia?

Just, came back from there. I saw a big change since I was there 4 years ago. They have really developed and have much more things than before, regarding all that many foreigners want for eating and cooking food.
The prices are much cheaper and the people that live there seems much happier. Just some reasons that I found on my trip but it was only for 16 days, so sure I can be wrong.

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

It is a large and poor country. The smells are often ones own resentments.

Cambodia is in many ways what Thailand used to be - laid back. Food is nowhere near as good as Thailand, but alcohol is cheaper and marijuana is very available. The Cambodians are learning English at a much faster rate than the Thais, who appear to have some of the Japanese arrogance when it comes to learning a foreign language. Visas are not a hassle if you want to stay longer term. Cambodia is my preference now. The major thing I miss is the advantage in Thailand of having a working knowledge of Thai language. It's not so necessary to learn Khmer because so many people speak English.

Things that I've found amazing compared to living in the US:

1. I've lived in the same apartment for the last 11 years with no increase in rent and the internet is still free!

2. In Bangkok, it is very easy to get by without your own transportation and you would be an idiot to try to drive in Bangkok, anyway.  Not having the stress of owning a vehicle with all the attendant expenses is one big stress out of my life.

3. The local markets are wonderful places to shop.  I know most of the vendors.  Friendly and generous. Get to taste before you buy and usually get more that what you paid for!

4. Thai people are, for the most part, friendly and generous. There's no need engage in political discussions to feed your own ego.  It's not going to change anything.  Just engage in 'small talk' and find good friends.

5. You have to assimilate. I exercise in a small park near my apartment. By and large, I'm the only farang at the park and I know many people by their first name.  I feel that I fit in as much as anyone else that is there.

6. Medical costs and the level of care are excellent - most of the time.

7. I feel safe and secure.

8. If I need to vent, I do it here!

Small gripes would be the dog shit is the sois, feral cats, and the ubiquitous erratic motorcycle drivers.   All things considered, it would be very difficult to find another place that offered the same quality of life.

I think the happiest farangs are the ones who live part time here and either return to their primary home or do other country travels to break    the routiness of one place...

might be be a correlation with money and how much resources one has...

i I would love to spend 2-3 of the summer months in my homeland but logistics makes it impossible...

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Just, came back from there. I saw a big change since I was there 4 years ago. They have really developed and have much more things than before, regarding all that many foreigners want for eating and cooking food.
The prices are much cheaper and the people that live there seems much happier. Just some reasons that I found on my trip but it was only for 16 days, so sure I can be wrong.

According to you and others, people go to Cambodia to live because of the good food. How very strange, I always thought it was because of something else.

14 minutes ago, pookiki said:

Things that I've found amazing compared to living in the US:

1. I've lived in the same apartment for the last 11 years with no increase in rent and the internet is still free!

2. In Bangkok, it is very easy to get by without your own transportation and you would be an idiot to try to drive in Bangkok, anyway.  Not having the stress of owning a vehicle with all the attendant expenses is one big stress out of my life.

3. The local markets are wonderful places to shop.  I know most of the vendors.  Friendly and generous. Get to taste before you buy and usually get more that what you paid for!

4. Thai people are, for the most part, friendly and generous. There's no need engage in political discussions to feed your own ego.  It's not going to change anything.  Just engage in 'small talk' and find good friends.

5. You have to assimilate. I exercise in a small park near my apartment. By and large, I'm the only farang at the park and I know many people by their first name.  I feel that I fit in as much as anyone else that is there.

6. Medical costs and the level of care are excellent - most of the time.

7. I feel safe and secure.

8. If I need to vent, I do it here!

Small gripes would be the dog shit is the sois, feral cats, and the ubiquitous erratic motorcycle drivers.   All things considered, it would be very difficult to find another place that offered the same quality of life.

I find it rather stress-relieving having my own vehicle. It's quite a normal thing to have, in my experience. 

I'd hate to live in an apartment for 11 years -  how many rooms does it have? I like a garden of my own with fruit tress and hammock and dogs. I like to play badminton with my family.

5 hours ago, Johnniey said:

I'm every year about half of expats consider leaving the country.

The long-term newbie with 5 years fall off their pink cloud. The long-term expats learn how to have an attitude of gratitude and accept things as they really are.

The main reason they are unhappier as they realize after a few years that the somewhat exotic dark-skinned Issarnite is not in fact desirable anymore.

I've been here ten years now and the main reason I am unhappy is the cost of living increases which far outpace my retirement increases.

And the lack of respect shown to long term expats at the immigration offices.

The best thing I ever did was not burn my bridges when I left my country. Have lived in Thailand for 8 years. I come home each year and find it harder and harder to go back to Thailand. In the past few years I am traveling to other countries. I suggest anyone planning to retire to Thailand is to READ and believe what they read about these countries. Most of the reports are true IMO. 

Going back to my research days, you have a selection bias that cannot be avoided in this survey. 

The issued is the psychological make up of your data pool. You are only picking from people that were obviously unsatisfied with their own country. These people have a much higher chance of being unsatisfied no matter where they are at. If you are retiring to Bangkok or Pattaya, then you occupy a sub group of people that skews the data points.

It only cost $60 and several hours to fly anywhere in the country, why in the hell do you retire in those places. Pic somewhere beautiful, cheap and uplifting and go back when you feel like it. 

14 minutes ago, bsdthai said:

For my family the unhappiness stems from a lawless society and a lack of compassion for other people from the thais. Being a walking ATM also gets me down.

I find Thai very compassionate people and have done for the last 35 year, of which 31 have been living and working here.

Being a walking ATM is your choice.

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I find it rather stress-relieving having my own vehicle. It's quite a normal thing to have, in my experience. 

I'd hate to live in an apartment for 11 years -  how many rooms does it have? I like a garden of my own with fruit tress and hammock and dogs. I like to play badminton with my family.

You are talking about the amenities in your life that make you happy - not necessarily where you live. I find my one room apartment sufficient for my life and needs.  Any my one room apartment is the typical life for the vast majority of Thais in Bangkok.  If I wanted more of the rural life, there are plenty of places to go to enjoy that lifestyle as I'm sure many of the expats on TVF do.

35 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Hi!

I also just got back from a 2 weeks holiday in Cambodia. I must ask, do u own a business there and trying to increase the customers base?

It is soo, much cheaper there? what is cheaper? Alcohol and cigarettes are cheaper. Transportation and food doesn't seem cheaper at all. No 7-11 means that it was hard to find any 1.5 liter water in any tourist areas for less then one usd=35 bath. here in 7-11 the price is roughly 13-18 baht depending on brand. 

Minibus for 220 km was 12 usd = 420 baht also much much more expensive than Thailand. 

It is possible, but hard to even get the tuk-tuks moving for less than 2 usd= 70 baht. In Bkk you go a km in a aircon taxi for 35 baht.

Hotels seems to be almost same price as here, but I still guess that Thailand is slightly cheaper in that regard as well.

The only time I ate street food in phnom penh, I was charged 7 usd= 250 baht for 2 noodle soups and an one small water and one ice coffee.

So please elaborate on what is so much cheaper in Cambodia?

3 minutes ago, pookiki said:

You are talking about the amenities in your life that make you happy - not necessarily where you live. I find my one room apartment sufficient for my life and needs.  Any my one room apartment is the typical life for the vast majority of Thais in Bangkok.  If I wanted more of the rural life, there are plenty of places to go to enjoy that lifestyle as I'm sure many of the expats on TVF do.

Most of the Thais(and expats) I know live in houses. I suppose for single young workers a one-room apt is ok if they are out most of the time. Each to their own. 

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

As one of the posters indicated-there is little mental stimulation amongst Thai people. Even though I can speak Thai- all conversations involve  minutia- I hardly ever can interest anyone in a conversation abut something that matters or is important. Even my wife- does not want to speak about serious matters but can spend hours talking about the mot mundane subjects. While I accept this as part of Thai culture- I would be remiss if I didn't caution people who are considering a long term relationship or life in Thailand to understand that there is very little  mental and emotional stimulation. Sometimes, I think that learning Thai did me in as now I understand the nuances of Thai life. Ignorance was bliss but in reality it was based upon a false dynamic. Modern Thailand has exacerbated the feeling that people do not communicate. They spend hours looking at so called 'smart' phones and becoming more and more ignorant of the real values one needs to have to live a productive life.

I don't know about yours, but mine is very mentally stimulating, and in bed too 555

1 minute ago, Johnniey said:

Most of the Thais(and expats) I know live in houses. I suppose for single young workers a one-room apt is ok if they are out most of the time. Each to their own. 

I'm retired. I guess you don't know that many 'poor' expats. ;-)  I don't derive my pleasure from material items. As you said, 'each to their own'.  The basic question is: Are you happy in Thailand?  I am.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Full of shit, love it 555

I beg your pardon. 

This is absolute truth. I know as I've started the application. 

Don't even need to sing the national anthem or pass a Thai test like you did a few years ago.

if you want links, I ain't giving them to a rude **** like you.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

I moved from Thailand to Cyprus two months ago, not necessarily because I disliked Thailand more that I wanted to spend time and be located in Europe during these Brexit negotiations. It might be the case that anyone arriving before Article 50 is triggered will retain a right of abode in Europe.

You have to be careful buying property here but if you do so correctly you have all rights to land and buildings ... unlike Thailand. Another point that may be of interest is that the cost of my rent, utilities, food, entertainment is working out to be lower than in Thailand ... despite GBP falling against the Euro these last few months. That was unexpected but a pleasant surprise.

My my Cyprus has certainly changed, in 1990 it was $3 AUS to the Cyprus pound, cheaper than Thailand today OMG 

1 minute ago, pookiki said:

I'm retired. I guess you don't know that many 'poor' expats. ;-)  I don't derive my pleasure from material items. As you said, 'each to their own'.  The basic question is: Are you happy in Thailand?  I am.

I do actually but they have families so an apt is no use.

I agree happiness is the important thing. 

I want to retire to a bothy on the side of a loch. I lived in Bkk for 10 years and hate the place now. it's very hard for some to escape it.

2 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I do actually but they have families so an apt is no use.

I agree happiness is the important thing. 

I want to retire to a bothy on the side of a loch. I lived in Bkk for 10 years and hate the place now. it's very hard for some to escape it.

The convenience of the 'neighborhood' system in Bangkok keeps me here.  Ten minute walk to the local market.  Ten minute walk to the park to exercise.  Five minute motorcycle taxi ride to the BTS. Five minute motorcycle ride to a world class hospital.  I don't feel that I need to escape. I live in a very quiet neighborhood and find life is good.

29 minutes ago, Hiyaall said:

Going back to my research days, you have a selection bias that cannot be avoided in this survey. 

The issued is the psychological make up of your data pool. You are only picking from people that were obviously unsatisfied with their own country. These people have a much higher chance of being unsatisfied no matter where they are at. If you are retiring to Bangkok or Pattaya, then you occupy a sub group of people that skews the data points.

It only cost $60 and several hours to fly anywhere in the country, why in the hell do you retire in those places. Pic somewhere beautiful, cheap and uplifting and go back when you feel like it. 

So glad to see someone else things outside the square

5 hours ago, bokningar said:

The pink filter is no longer clouding my eye's

Still like it here, but some stuff is probably better not knowing about if you want to stay happy.

Ignorance is bliss.

Maybe I have to stop reading what people post here on TV and I will be happier again :-)

+ 1 Smartly said. I am past this and know way too much. Where to go? Never owned any pink-glasses, always been very critical and informed, anywhere I lived, definitely need to start wearing them wherever I will retire again.  :-)  MS>

29 minutes ago, Johnniey said:

I beg your pardon. 

This is absolute truth. I know as I've started the application. 

Don't even need to sing the national anthem or pass a Thai test like you did a few years ago.

if you want links, I ain't giving them to a rude **** like you.

Awe come on, don't be like that, its an Ozzie expression, meaning your full of shit, e.g. taking the mickey out of you, don't be so sensitive 555, now give me the link, please

5 hours ago, trogers said:

What would be of interest is the preferred destination of those who expressed the desire to leave Thailand...

i am leaving Thailand 3-4 times a year. my preferred destinations are Macau, KL, Singapore and either Dubai or Abu Dhabi. but after a week or so i'm gladly returning to Thailand which is my home since nearly 12 years. my wife does not exactly share my views pertaining to Thailand. 

I am definitely happier now than when I first moved here to live.   During my first 3-4 years I thought about going back to Hong Kong constantly.

I'm glad I stayed.   Bangkok is getting more modern and the quality of shops etc is getting better.   It is already beginning to rival HK and Singapore.

I have no plans to leave, in fact I am going to invest more money into businesses here.   

My stats are 8 years in Bangkok, under 50, single and not dating.   

Archived