Naga new year 2017

Mahseer

If anyone is interested Naga new year will be in Lahe, Sagaing which strangely is where it was last year.

This is supposed to rotate between 3 towns, Lashe and Nanyun the others, so no Idea why Lahe once more but flights will go to Khamti on the 13th from Mandalay and back on the 17th. If you need more info just advise.

• 1 month later...

Just back online after a week off.

Only lodging is in homestays which vary depending on your tour operators contacts. Last year a dozen of us ended up in what was basically a cow shed with a single lightbulb. We slept on the floor which was clean, showered from a bucket and done other duties in a freshly dug hole with a rudimentary box on top. Luxury it weren't but you are not going for the comforts eh? Food will be simple fare - eggs, rice, chicken if your lucky but again don't be put off.

Make sure you take a suitable sleeping bag - temps were as low as 4c last year, torch - led are excellent and compact, baby wipes - for general cleanliness, mama noodles and Imodium just in case. I always carry tiffy also. I was asked to bring in aspirin which are not available locally but that's your call. 

One event not to miss which you should harass your tour operator over timing is the playing of the ceremonial drum. 20 or some nagas in full regalia thump out 5 minutes of impressive beats and this only happened the once last year. Have your video ready and try and get a spot off the end of the drum which is a hollowed out tree about 8mts in length which you'll find beyond and to the right of the parade grounds.

enjoy

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

anyone know if its same this jan ( 2018) in Lahe??  no permits needed?
fly into Khamti and 4 wd up ( i was in Khamti in 2016)

dont want do tour so can sleep in wat or small GH's

Haven't heard yet which is unusual as normally announced in June but it was in Lahe last 2 years. Highly unlikely to be Nanyun but whichever of the other 2 locations be careful with accommodation as don't believe there are any hotels or guest houses in either within easy reach of the parade grounds and registered homestays get booked up by tour groups.

I last went in 2016 and permits were required and I paid in the region of 15,000baht which was all inclusive from and back to Mandalay.

• 2 weeks later...

In Yangon at present and was advised last night that Naga new year 2018 will be in Lashe. This was how I got there in 2015:

10.Jan - Mandalay - Homalin ( YJ 601 / 12:40/14:10 ) Yati Hotel.
11.Jan - Homalin - Thamanti by boat ( Home stay )
12.Jan - Thamanti - Pansat village by Jeep.( Home stay )
13.Jan - Pansat village. ( Home stay )
14.Jan - Pansat - Lashae.by Jeep.( Home stay )
15.Jan - Naga festival at Lashae. ( Home stay )
16.Jan - By Jeep Lashae - Thamanti continue by boat to Homalin. ( Yati Hotel ).

17.Jan - Homalin - Mandalay.( YJ 602 / 14:25/15:25 )

Anyone venturing there be aware it's cool up in the hills in January and homestays will not have any heating so pack a sleeping bag.

Enjoy

dont ya need a permit for Lashe ( Layshi) ?? What dates??

if so , how does one obtain one independently,  i do not want be on a tour.

Can u arrange homestay on your own/Transport??

I stayed in gh's in Homalin  and Thamanti  on my  2016 down the chindwin trip

Thanks!!

Phuketrichard, dates for the actual festival never change just the location. Yes I did need a permit back then but there's been many a change here in recent years as you are aware so no idea if you will need next year but at a guess I would say yes you will as it's right up against the Indian border. (Google maps accepts Lay Shi).

To put 'tour' into perspective in 2015 I believe there were 22 foreigners there of which 11 were Thais from a Bangkok photographic society so we're not talking Chinese group style convoys. 

Just a note on the trip I posted above. Flights back then were once a week and the Pansat village part was just to fill time and I certainly wouldn't recommend visiting. 

I answered the questions I could as in

"dates for the actual festival never change"

and regarding permit 

"I would say yes you will as it's right up against the Indian border"

Other points raised I skipped as I don't know the answer. Fair enough?

Archived