When Does Last Become Latest or Vice Versa ?

Speedo1968

The following came from an online competition page on the "Jazzfm"  site, a UK music channel".

For your information the album "Amplified Soul" was released in 2016 and "In Search Of Better Days" in 2014.

Which answer would you give having read the text concerning the groups albums ?

Is this confusing grammar or am I no good in grammar ?     I am an oldie from the UK, not meant as an excuse.

When does last become latest or vice versa ?

The Old Market in Hove rolls out the dance floor for this pre-Christmas party night to launch The South Coast Jazz Festival and you can be a part of it! We are offering you the chance to win a pair of tickets to this fantastic show on the 17th December along with an over night stay at the Jury's Inn in the centre of Brighton. 

Headliners for the rest of the festival include Alec Dankworth Spanish Accents, Zoe Rahman, Sarah Jane Morris, Jim Mullen’s Organ Trio, Ray Gelato’s Giants, and a schedule of workshops. Tickets are on sale now.

Don’t You Worry ‘bout A Thing, Always There and Nights Over Egypt are just some of the Incognito classics that have kept the crowds dancing since the 90s. This year the now legendary British jazz-funk band, led by Jean-Paul ‘Bluey’ Maunick, celebrates 35 years making music – during which time their irresistible grooves and soulful vocals, punctuated by the trademark Incognito horns, have grown from strength to strength. Since their run of shows at ‘Ronnie Scott’s’ in September, they perform a selection of classics alongside new songs from their current release Amplified Soul (their 16th studio recording), a set of wonderfully crafted songs that evoke a classic era associated with ‘70s Marvin Gaye and Stevie Wonder. Incognito’s catchy songs and dance grooves are immediate and infectious – explaining just why they remain a powerful live act and dance-floor favourite!

For your chance to win this fantastic prize simply answer the question below.

This competition ends at 23.59 on 9th November.

Top of Form

Name *

What is the name of Ingonito's last album? *

Amplified SoulIn Search Of Better DaysNo Time Like The Future

I think it must just be me, but I am still confused with the competition question - not that it really matters, I am just intrigued by such things in English language.

The competition question is "What is the name of Incognito's last album ?"

In the write up it states: -  "they perform a selection of classics alongside new songs from their current release Amplified Soul" 

Would I be right in saying when we use the word "current" we tend to mean that others will follow ?   Shouldn't the competition question then be "What is the name of Incognito's latest album ?'  ( not last album ! )

I can see where "jpinx" is coming from with his / her explanation.

I once found a test paper for Do, Does, Don't, Doesn't - it gave a space for a single answer to each question, when in fact some questions could have had multiple answers.

Thanks for the replies.

17 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I think it must just be me, but I am still confused with the competition question - not that it really matters, I am just intrigued by such things in English language.

The competition question is "What is the name of Incognito's last album ?"

In the write up it states: -  "they perform a selection of classics alongside new songs from their current release Amplified Soul" 

Would I be right in saying when we use the word "current" we tend to mean that others will follow ?   Shouldn't the competition question then be "What is the name of Incognito's latest album ?'  ( not last album ! )

I can see where "jpinx" is coming from with his / her explanation.

I once found a test paper for Do, Does, Don't, Doesn't - it gave a space for a single answer to each question, when in fact some questions could have had multiple answers.

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe, but their current release could also be their last.

On 11/6/2016 at 5:37 PM, allane said:

"last" = final

Except in  statements like;  'The last time I went to McDonald's I had a had a cheeseburger.'  In which case it means most recent. 

ie:  'My latest vist to McDonald's...My most recent visit...all the same meaning.

I'm pretty sure 'last' shouild mean final, but it gets used where latest should,

'Latest' implies there will be  future albums or trips to McD's. 'Last' doesn't but it gets used like it does anyway sometimes, chalk it up to bad english maybe. IMHO.

Archived