Pruning Mature Mango Trees.

jak2002003

Can anyone tell me what is the best time of year to prune my mango trees?  I have about 40 very big mango trees and I want to cut them right back so they are easy to harvest. 

Can I cut them right back so they have no leave left, or will that cause them to die?  Also, is there a right way to do it... I am worried I will kill the trees.

Thanks. 

For such drastic action prepare not to have any fruit one year or more.

Yes, for cutting, you can prune them anytime but you don't want to over stress the trees, make sure adequate moisture is available for the roots.

Big cuts can sunburn and damage the tree, keep that in mind.

Beatles will attack the exposed cuts you need to keep an eye on that.

Do not cut them to a stump, look for previous growth flushes on the side branches and  smooth cut just ahead so new growth will shoot from the dormant buds.

I like to shape my trees looking like a open upside down umbrella; for easy harvest and maintenance.

Good Luck

I agree with Soidog2, extreme 'hat-rack' pruning can set up your trees for serious problems, don't do it. Moderate crown reduction can be done by "drop-crotch" pruning, "thinning" cuts as opposed to "heading" cuts. 

Prune after the fruiting cycle, don't take more than 25% of the live foliage during any two year period of time, or risk extreme stress and increased susceptibility to sunburned stems, pests and disease.  

Instead of trying to shorten the trees for ease of harvest, consider using ladders and/or a long handled fruit picking tools or pole pruner, or hire a climber.  That's what I did with 55 large mature mango trees that I managed on our farm in Chiang Mai. 

Thank you everyone.

I don't care about the mango fruit next harvest... every year I get literally tones of the fruit!!

I want the trees to look nice and be bushy to give privacy and look beautiful.  Now they are getting so big they are getting leggy and lots of open branches.  I like them to have dense canopy. 

If they need a lot of water after they are cut... do you think I am better to wait until the start of next rainy season.. as up here in Chiang Mai it's going to stop raining any day now and we have the dry season.

Thanks..

Have a look at "Mango Tree Pruning in Australia" on You Tube.

Shows how big mango plantations in Australia deal with their annual prune. On the same page their are other clips showing mango growing. Interesting viewing.

CHEERS 

BAYBOY

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know about extreme pruning techniques in Thailand, for mango trees? I hear it is being used in Africa, with great results. The idea is to plant the trees closer together (rows 4 meters apart, by 4.5 to 5 meters in between the trees in a row. And keep the canopy smaller, and the tree shorter. Supposed to make it easier to spray, harvest and maintain. And increased productivity per tree, based on additional light, reduced disease, less insect issues, etc. Any feedback is appreciated. 

On 11/12/2016 at 3:04 PM, BAYBOY said:

Have a look at "Mango Tree Pruning in Australia" on You Tube.

Shows how big mango plantations in Australia deal with their annual prune. On the same page their are other clips showing mango growing. Interesting viewing.

CHEERS 

BAYBOY

Also in Oz they use a chemical which i can't remember the name of but that's applied after harvest. It keeps the mature tree's dwarfed and makes sure they bloom all at the same time next season.

Archived