Winter in North Issan

Trebek

Very nice blue sky, cold in the morning but  not so cold.... But no heater in houses and when outside air temp go below 14.....it's cold at night  :)

About cloth : sock and long shelves for the night... day time, it's cold only in shadowed place.. 

Depends where you come from. If you come from North America or Northern Europe, Isaan winter will feel like summer. If, on the other hand, you hail from a tropical location, Isaan winter will be somewhat cool.

I'm an Aussie from Queensland. Don't own long pants or long sleeve shirts. Don't possess a jumper or jacket. To me, Isaan winter is pleasantly cool. I'm still using air conditioner, late afternoon & evening.

Hopes this helps.

It's freezing! To me it gets cold. Everyone will have on coats etc and I will fire up my log fire, hopefully, and sit around the fire in my underwear and drink red wine. [emoji450][emoji450][emoji450][emoji372]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, malt25 said:

Depends where you come from. If you come from North America or Northern Europe, Isaan winter will feel like summer. If, on the other hand, you hail from a tropical location, Isaan winter will be somewhat cool.

I'm an Aussie from Queensland. Don't own long pants or long sleeve shirts. Don't possess a jumper or jacket. To me, Isaan winter is pleasantly cool. I'm still using air conditioner, late afternoon & evening.

Hopes this helps.

You're right... I'am coming from BORA BORA ISLAND in the south Pacific, ;) under 24° celsius, it's pretty cold for me 

19 hours ago, BOBAKAT said:

You're right... I'am coming from BORA BORA ISLAND in the south Pacific, ;) under 24° celsius, it's pretty cold for me 

So this is Bora Bora the well know district in Sakhon Nakhon   :tongue:

Temperature I feel also depends on length of stay: once my body has adjusted itself to the relative high temperatures, then temperatures below 24 degrees Celsius do start to feel cold. So, yes, temperatures under 24 degrees Celsius do feel pretty cold to me too, but this is definitely not true for me in The Netherlands where high temperatures above 30 degrees Celsius only appear a few days per year.

I'm in Udon city, and here it would be 20-25C in day and 14-16C at night.  Outside the city it can be a couple of degrees cooler.

As I've been here a while now, 16C is pretty chilly to me these days (not like sunny old England was), and will usually wear 2 layers at night, and just T-shirt in day time.  If you go to Loei or somewhere they have been known to go below zero C in extremes.

On 11/9/2016 at 4:03 PM, carlyai said:

It's freezing! To me it gets cold. Everyone will have on coats etc and I will fire up my log fire, hopefully, and sit around the fire in my underwear and drink red wine. emoji450.pngemoji450.pngemoji450.pngemoji372.png

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Haha.. I believe the bit about the red wine!  

January can be cold ide wear sweatshirts and joggers it's especially cold if its raining. 

though during sunny days it gets upto 25c if your lucky that's in Phuruea near Loei best take long sleeve shirts you can roll up or down and zip off trousers ie, cragghoppers or camouflage ones you can find on Amazon website  

3 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

It doesn't get really cool until after Christmas. By mid-February temperatures are creeping back up to mid 30s. By mid-March it is back to 40 degrees.

Everyone to their own, but I have not been back to Europe for a long time, so I find it cold now (early mornings & late evenings), and it will get colder over the next 2 months.

On 11/8/2016 at 5:42 PM, BOBAKAT said:

Very nice blue sky, cold in the morning but  not so cold.... But no heater in houses and when outside air temp go below 14.....it's cold at night  :)

About cloth : sock and long shelves for the night... day time, it's cold only in shadowed place.. 

Not sure where you got 14 degrees from -"The maximum temperature for Sakhon Nakhon over the next 7 day will be 34℃ (or 94℉) on Monday 14thNovember at around 4 pm. In the same week the minimum temperature will be 19℃ (or 65℉) on Friday 11th November at around 4 am. "

15 hours ago, Shiver said:

I'm in Udon city, and here it would be 20-25C in day and 14-16C at night.  Outside the city it can be a couple of degrees cooler.

As I've been here a while now, 16C is pretty chilly to me these days (not like sunny old England was), and will usually wear 2 layers at night, and just T-shirt in day time.  If you go to Loei or somewhere they have been known to go below zero C in extremes.

Rare to go below 0 in Loei, I can find only records of it going to 0 or just above.

Coldest recorded temp in Thailand - Sakon Nakhon 2 Jan 1974 , -1.4 degrees C

On 09/11/2016 at 11:41 AM, malt25 said:

Hopes this helps.

I'm from Sydney, we have all the winter clothes we need, and find that the mornings to be a little on the chilly side, although warming up from 11.00am onward, but if there is a slight breeze, well the air can feel like your in Perisher ( a place 6 hours drive south of Sydney where it snows), nose and ears hurt from the chill, so look out for that. 

Nights are cold, but we brought over our quilts with the duck feathers in them back from Aus when we made the move, and there ain't nothing like duck feathers to keep you warm, that, and a good shag.

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bitterly cold at night – and unforgettable mornings, especially if you use a typical Thai-Isaan-shower with a bucket of almost ice-cold water :crying: – remember winter clothes...

Been there, done that, no thanks, have 3 hot water systems at the highest level, they work great, except if your unfortunate enough to have a blackout, then its back to the ice bucket treatment.

15 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

It doesn't get really cool until after Christmas. By mid-February temperatures are creeping back up to mid 30s. By mid-March it is back to 40 degrees.

Don't remind me please, hit 43 in Sakon Nakhon past April, thank God for A/C's and bins full of water with saucepans to cool me down, at least 3 showers a day if not more, just can't get that saucepan full of water over me quick enough.

A range of temperatures given above and although all can occur, some are definitely not 'normal'. In Udon Thani, November day time temperatures are typically 29-30 centigrade and 19-20 centigrade at night. knock 2 degrees off for December and January, during February temperatures rise a lot. Lowest i have experienced in 7 years - 9 centigrade, and have experienced maximum of 34 in this period. 

I would pack a light jacket, one thin jumper or fleece and one pair long trousers/jeans. Otherwise pack for good European summer. Rain - can occur, but rare. As said, out side towns and up the hills can be cooler.

It is amusing in the cooler weather seeing Thais wrapped up like Eskimos when i just wonder if i need that jumper ..... 

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:
22 hours ago, khunPer said:

Bitterly cold at night – and unforgettable mornings, especially if you use a typical Thai-Isaan-shower with a bucket of almost ice-cold water :crying: – remember winter clothes...

Been there, done that, no thanks, have 3 hot water systems at the highest level, they work great, except if your unfortunate enough to have a blackout, then its back to the ice bucket treatment

Some of us learn from experience: Solar water-heater and tank on the attic – works fine during black-out... :thumbsup:

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

Some of us learn from experience: Solar water-heater and tank on the attic – works fine during black-out... :thumbsup:

I like that, how does it work when cloudy and raining for days on end, does it have a booster switch, I remember having one at a place I owned back in 2001 and vaguely remember it had a booster switch.

Might be something for me to look into if the short black-outs persist, usually when its raining and around 9pm at night, so one must remember to get to the 2nd shower for the day early.

I spend my winters in NE Thailand; mostly in Nakhon Phanom and Udon Thani returning to the UK for summers. Most of the time I find the Isaan weather very agreeable; Mostly dry,  High Twenties  creeping into low Thirties by day and cooling down very pleasantly in the evenings and overnight. But keep an eye on the weather forecast for China from now until the end of February, as sometimes; mostly December thru January, very cold weather in China can move South into Thailand and makes it feel really cold when if it stays cloudy and you get rain and wind from the N-NE, i.e., from China.  It usually only lasts 2 to 4 days but can remain overcast and 'relatively' chilly for up to a week. I say relatively as it always makes me smile that what would feel like a balmy summer's evening to me in the UK; say 17C, feels  definitely chilly here during an Isaan winter. Of course you notice it more if u r eating and drinking al fresco and it can be really cold riding a motorbike. Conversely riding my bicycle warms me up! I always carry a 2nd layer, zip-on legs for my shorts, socks and a hat during winter for when the evenings get chilly, and during these cold spells from China, I even go out wearing trousers, socks, and shoes, and a jacket; 2 jackets if on the mbike! It also depends on your accommodation. Older Thai property was built to keep the sun out. This combined with ill-fitting windows which will not completely close, concrete walls or tiled walls and floors, and especially wetroom bathrooms can feel literally like u r living in a fridge! It can also depend on which way your room or room faces. E.g., The rooms of the hotel I like to use in Udon face East or West. I usually book a west facing room which stays nice and cool until he sun comes around in the afternoon. But during a cold spell these can remain like a fridge so I book an East facing room which usually  warms up nicely during the moning. I still  choose my Winter rented accommodation facing North or East which remains cooler most of the time knowing I will suffer a bit during a cold spell......but I brought a small caravan halogen heater from the UK  to cope with this. Conversely you can also get mini heat waves, usually in November and February with temps rising to 34-36C which is too damned hot for me! By the way Im 64yrs old. If younger, u shouldn't feel the cold too much.

8 hours ago, KonaRain said:

I was able to wear a sweater and jeans in moderate altitude in C.Mai..

I brought two of 'em.. no problem. 

I live at high altitude in Hawaii at same latitude..

Aloha

During the Winter in NE Isaan anyway when it gets cold road side and market vendors appear everywhere selling 2nd hand jackets, hats etc., many of good quality and very good condition.....Very cheap and good enough just to survive for a few cold days!

Archived