Abandoned, Derelict, Decaying Locations Around Thailand

diznax

On 7/4/2020 at 4:57 PM, beyondfred said:

I have been to this place a few days ago. I published a YouTube video (here) and posted something about it on Reddit, and I had an interesting comment from some Thai guy, who said: <<I think this is one of the “Baan Eua-Arthorn" (literally home with care) which is government's housing project for the poor. You can see finished one here. You can read more about Baan Eua-Arthorn here.>>

So, as I understand after some fast reading, these are government projects for low income people, that did not fit the needs of low income people who did not wish to live there, leading to a waste of government money.

This would explain that these buildings appear newer than the 1997 crisis period.

It also explains a strange configuration of the apartments inside the building, which have opening (windows) towards the central corridor: as the low income people supposed to live here cannot afford A/C, this help having well ventilated rooms.

a mate was living in an oldish apartment block that had no air con and windows opening onto the corridor, it made his apartment very noisy as even with the windows closed you could hear everything that was going on in the corridor. seemed, and seems, like a daft design to me. but then i appreciate peace and quiet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, samsensam said:

a mate was living in an oldish apartment block that had no air con and windows opening onto the corridor, it made his apartment very noisy as even with the windows closed you could hear everything that was going on in the corridor. seemed, and seems, like a daft design to me. but then i appreciate peace and quiet.

so why did he live there then?  Someone holding him there at gun point? 

15 hours ago, kickstart said:

This is one of the low cost housing projects near me ,about 40% have been completed and people are living in them.

Kickstart, Samsemsam, thank you for the comments and the extra info.

The Tucksin point, if verified, is a noteworthy one...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 6:05 AM, BritManToo said:

These are all over Thailand and known to the locals as "Houses from the King" whom finances the projects.

Nothing to do with Thaksin.

Are you sure,the photos I posted ,the Moo Bann ,village ,has a name ,but locally  it is known as Moo Bann Tucksin,if it was one of the the late kings project ,why are the not finished ,all the kings projects that I know about are all finished and up and running, these unfinished Moo bann's are all over the country 

Just 10 km up the road is the Passak dam ,one of the late kings projects working now for 25 years.

15 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Are you sure,the photos I posted ,the Moo Bann ,village ,has a name ,but locally  it is known as Moo Bann Tucksin,if it was one of the the late kings project ,why are the not finished ,all the kings projects that I know about are all finished and up and running, these unfinished Moo bann's are all over the country 

Just 10 km up the road is the Passak dam ,one of the late kings projects working now for 25 years.

Just opposite BigC Hang Dong (used to be Carrefore) was a big one, totally abandoned and overgrown in 2009, but they started work again in 2012. They seem to run out of money for a year or two, then found some more.

https://goo.gl/maps/9b43qv76h9GcQJJN9

Still looks a bit abandoned/overgrown to me, 390k for a house, 3k deposit to move in.

Lots of empty houses still left.

หมู่บ้านเอื้ออาทรสันป่าตอง = Village (by) Generosity (of the King) San Patong

hang dong.jpg

I can't explain why anything happens in Thailand.

Doubt anyone can.

Edited by BritManToo

On 8/1/2020 at 2:07 PM, BritManToo said:

Just opposite BigC Hang Dong (used to be Carrefore) was a big one, totally abandoned and overgrown in 2009, but they started work again in 2012. They seem to run out of money for a year or two, then found some more.

https://goo.gl/maps/9b43qv76h9GcQJJN9

Still looks a bit abandoned/overgrown to me, 390k for a house, 3k deposit to move in.

Lots of empty houses still left.

หมู่บ้านเอื้ออาทรสันป่าตอง = Village (by) Generosity (of the King) San Patong

hang dong.jpg

I can't explain why anything happens in Thailand.

Doubt anyone can.

Looking at the Thai ,and translating it  says Village to care/help ,then San Patong ,the name of the  Aumphua ,nothing about the king .

Our village has the same name ,with our Aumphua's name .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Looking at the Thai ,and translating it  says Village to care/help ,then San Patong ,the name of the  Aumphua ,nothing about the king .

Our village has the same name ,with our Aumphua's name .

That's because you can't read Thai, and lots of words are implied.

I put the missing words in brackets for you, a Thai would already know what was missing.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, BritManToo said:

That's because you can't read Thai, and lots of words are implied.

I put the missing words in brackets for you, a Thai would already know what was missing.

Actually I can read Thai, and most certainly can use a Thai dictionary to check words  ,and if it was to do with the late King  the words  certainly would not be missed out, they would  most certainly to be included, the late King being so revered .

Even my wife, well Thai, says they were built by Tucksin ,she should know.

These are part of the Eua Artorn low cost housing projects. The aim was to provide housing for the underprivileged. It started when the government was trying to relocate slums and expanded to the poor from all areas. The deposits were minimal and monthly payments low too. However, many projects failed because of their location. They were far from where those who needed such housing made their living so they did not move. It was introduced under Thaksin I believe but had nothing to do with the monarchy except a Royal blessing, perhaps, on a project here or there. BTW, the projects included single houses and cheap flats. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GarryP said:

However, many projects failed because of their location. They were far from where those who needed such housing made their living so they did not move

Some were, some weren't.

The one I linked to was out in the wilds, no transport anywhere near it.

The one in Lamphun is close to the town.

https://goo.gl/maps/o4q5TPaZYdGutX7y8

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

These are part of the Eua Artorn low cost housing projects. The aim was to provide housing for the underprivileged. It started when the government was trying to relocate slums and expanded to the poor from all areas. The deposits were minimal and monthly payments low too. However, many projects failed because of their location. They were far from where those who needed such housing made their living so they did not move. It was introduced under Thaksin I believe but had nothing to do with the monarchy except a Royal blessing, perhaps, on a project here or there. BTW, the projects included single houses and cheap flats. 

This pretty much matches my recollection. The moniker "Baan Eua-Arthorn" was brought in during the Thaksin years but it was/is part of the National Housing Authority which precedes Thaksin by a couple of decades. The NHA is a state developer that has always had a reputation for building housing projects in remote locations, the cynical would say because that made it easier to inflate the cost of land acquisition. Many of their older projects around Bangkok, Samut Prakarn, Nonthaburi have become somewhat gentrified by the cities growth but were considered too far away when first built.

If a project is part of Baan Eua-Arthorn, normally there is a sign somewhere with the NHA logo.

ak.jpg.f4e2268d592287fded8f37d8c111dd37.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GarryP said:

Ours is an Eua Artorn project ,built just 1 km outside our Amphur town ,a lot of people where interested in them ,one local farmer was going to buy one for his workers , then the coup............ the ones that did get built are nearly all lived in ,some owners have even built an extension, space permitting. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 10:02 PM, samsensam said:

'but then i appreciate peace and quiet'

<deleted> are you doing here, then?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1