Abandoned, Derelict, Decaying Locations Around Thailand

diznax

On 12/28/2016 at 2:53 PM, diznax said:

I shot some photos yesterday at the abandoned Oscar Theater in Makkasan (Petchaburi Road), which is now home to 'working' girls, low-rent gangsters, and homeless folks just trying to get by.  Photography is not allowed on the premisis, with 'private property' signs and such posted around, so I paid an overseer (who lives on the second floor) a bit of cash to take some photos for a few minutes.  He said that his boss doesn't like for people to take photos.  I couldn't get into the actual theater itself, as it has been boarded up for years.  However, I did read some posts on the southeast Asia movie theater project regarding Oscar Theater, and one person said that the owner has charged tens of thousands of baht per day to a local tv station to shoot there.  The full series is here:  http://www.daxward.com/The-abandoned-oscar-theater-se  

20162712dw037 copy.jpg

20162712dw033 copy.jpg

20162712dw058 copy.jpg

Good pix, I actually lived in Oscar Apartments for a little while many, many years ago (I had a famous journalist neighbour upstairs too) and had a poke around in the theatre complex a few times. I think it was victim of a fire, but I guess the insurance policy was invalid for some reason.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2016 at 1:06 PM, diznax said:

We visited a junkyard in Bang Khen district yesterday & took some photos. This junkyard is unusual in that it is used by the police as an evidence holding yard for vehicles that have been in major accidents (often resulting in fatalities). The remnants of accident vehicles are taken there by the police once they are no longer needed as case evidence. If they are not claimed by family or former owners, they end up here. There are cars, buses, lots of motorbikes, and larger trucks that have all been in serious crashes. Certainly a morbid place but with fascinating details.  

20161112dw107 copy.jpg

20161112dw225 copy.jpg

20161112dw013 copy.jpg

I've not seen this and I live in the area, but there is another behind the Highway Police HQ at Kannayao on Ramintra about Soi 88 just before you turn under the highway for Fashion Island. There is an abandoned Popeye's restaurant that was turned into a Disco not far away too. And did you see the DC3 on display on Ramintra?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

I've not seen this and I live in the area, but there is another behind the Highway Police HQ at Kannayao on Ramintra about Soi 88 just before you turn under the highway for Fashion Island. There is an abandoned Popeye's restaurant that was turned into a Disco not far away too. And did you see the DC3 on display on Ramintra?

I need to get over to that area and check these places out.  I actually lived on Nawamin road for several years and I think I know the Popeye's you're talking about.  Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Edited by diznax

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Curt 1591,

It's not a abandoned building ; there are firemen living inside in bad or very bad  conditions,

it's a fire station ; on the ground are many fire trucks and a very old Mercedes car still active.

It's just close the French Embassy , soi 36 Charoen Krung

21724500135_e52a27faca_b.jpg

21427178468_f7384e8e0b_b.jpg

21538029839_7ae241f7ab_b.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Hi Curt 1591,

It's not a abandoned building ; there are firemen living inside in bad or very bad  conditions,

it's a fire station ; on the ground are many fire trucks and a very old Mercedes car still active.

It's just close the French Embassy , soi 36 Charoen Krung

When were you there last?

Some time ago, there were people living in the building, mostly in the surrounding buildings. However, when we visited last, 4 months ago, the entrances were sealed off and there were "No Photo" signs placed around.

According to the congenial (and obliging) watchman, the development will be both sides of the river and will be connected by an aerial tram. Can't figure why they don't want photos taken ....

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5048.jpg

• Like 2

I went there two y ago;

so, sorry and apologize ,   you are right; now it's a derelict building ;

A good thing because these buildings were made maybe a century ago and never maintained as usual ; thai people don't know this word in their dictionary .:post-4641-1156693976: