Police/military raid sheesha dens in Sukhumvit last night

webfact

Police/military raid sheesha dens in Sukhumvit last night

p1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A police and military raiding party swooped on shisha restaurants and distributors in upper Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok, last night.

A total of eleven establishments in Soi 3, Soi 3/1, Soi 5 and Soi 11 were inspected and dozens of pipes and many kilos of sheesha tobacco were seized.

Several owners, managers and staff were taken in for questioning.

Illegal distribution of pipes and tobacco was found to be taking place at Studio Masr and Emperor Shisha in Soi 3, Nasir Al-Masr in 3/1 and the Le Fenix Hotel in Soi 11.

Several of the establishments checked were found to be operating within the law.

The area used to be well known for smoking sheesha until the military government cracked down and made it illegal in Thailand.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-09

1 minute ago, lee b said:

I used to smoke shisha in coffee shops in Dubai. I have seen it in many places in Thailand but never knew it had been made illegal. The question is why was it made illegal?

The government has difficulty in collecting tax on sheesha tobacco. Much the same reason why nicotine vaporizers are illegal. 

3 hours ago, lee b said:

I used to smoke shisha in coffee shops in Dubai. I have seen it in many places in Thailand but never knew it had been made illegal. The question is why was it made illegal?

It's not, in fact no law has ever been passed, this is just another, as the Phuket governor said, illegal "fantasy" law.

3 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

It would be a better use of resources to bust the Africans selling narcotic drugs on Sukhumvit 5-13.

And while they are doing that they could remove the footpath whores along the same route.

It would be a better use of resources to bust the Africans selling narcotic drugs on Sukhumvit 5-13.

Unfortunately the Nigerians have a system that's impossible to bust. The only way is to do what Thaksin did and what Phillipines president did. Shoot them

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mcfish said:

Unfortunately the Nigerians have a system that's impossible to bust. The only way is to do what Thaksin did and what Phillipines president did. Shoot them

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

They can hire a white farang trying to buy drugs from them...if they deliver they are busted. What's impossible about that?

5 hours ago, optad said:

Is it just a different delivery mechanism for tobacco/nicotine?

Im bracing to be corrected, after my initial response of "oh no!", so those with more info.... feel free to weight in (? I know you will 5555)

shisha , or hooka pipes are indeed a different delivery method of nicotine.... and anything else you want to burn slowly and inhale.

the biggest problem though, as I have been led to believe, is that your also inhaling the coal used to ignite the consumptive materials.... and apparently, this can be worse than the evil chemicals added to cancer sticks ( although fish friendly coals have been developed to reduce the risk of death... after all, if it doesn't kill fish, it must be OK, right?)

im back on the sticks.... and that's bad, because they do kill fish... saw it on a doco.... honest!

after all the anti anti shisha hype over the last couple of years, I gave my gear back to the Egyptian lads making the kebabs down the road.... much to their delight, as I had only just purchased some of it from them..... but too many locals come thru the house, for one reason or another, for me to risk having them seen ( expensive ornamentals)

so.... much like everything else in this part of the world.... err on the side of caution, legal or not, and stay away from it, because any excuse will do, if those in power are looking for an excuse to do unto you, things you'd prefer to do unto the bar girl down the way

22 minutes ago, Rooo said:

Show me the actual LAW that say's it's illegal.

From the OP

"Several establishments were checked and found found to be operating within the law"

so.... :sorry:  but.... maybe they were using the wrong color paper bag for produce transfer

28 minutes ago, farcanell said:

shisha , or hooka pipes are indeed a different delivery method of nicotine.... and anything else you want to burn slowly and inhale.

the biggest problem though, as I have been led to believe, is that your also inhaling the coal used to ignite the consumptive materials.... and apparently, this can be worse than the evil chemicals added to cancer sticks ( although fish friendly coals have been developed to reduce the risk of death... after all, if it doesn't kill fish, it must be OK, right?)

Do you really think the police and army are concerned about your health?

No, I didn't think so. They just like to throw their weight around, because the uniform says they can.

It is unbelievable that a country uses its military, used in most countries to safeguard the borders, to prevent people having a quiet smoke. The big-spenders from the Middle East must love it.

15 minutes ago, Rorri said:

Legally no, but they do Use in timidation to extract "funds."

So If an accused stands his ground, the police back down, or It hgoes to court, no conviction, and they look like Idiots.  They couldn't take It to court If It's not Illegal.

Sounds lile more BiB bashing to me.

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Do you really think the police and army are concerned about your health?

No, I didn't think so. They just like to throw their weight around, because the uniform says they can.

It is unbelievable that a country uses its military, used in most countries to safeguard the borders, to prevent people having a quiet smoke. The big-spenders from the Middle East must love it.

I have no doubt that the BIB are concerned about my health... no doubt at all.

in fact, I'm sure, they or their proxies, will quite happily watch my health turn to poo, my teeth fall out and my dick drop off, whilst incarcerated, just because they can

realistically... they could give a rats bottom, either way, so discussing the rats bottom, is pointless.

anyone living in Thailand, who thinks it's not about money, needs to talk to a head shrinker.

that they (Thais) fail to understand that foreign tourists, businesses and the like, of whatever nationality and preference, support some 70% ( guess... stick your own figure in there) of Thai families, is the irony of this country.

not sure if that's on topic... but it's always fun... moderators can decide... love ya all.

Archived