Thousands join anti-Trump protests around country 

webfact

I am OK with the electoral college system although after the Bush vs Gore fiasco, I had to think about that. As long as everyone knows the rules going in, it's fair enough and does have the advantage of small states getting any attention at all. Instead, they get TOO much attention, but no scheme is perfect.

That said, in cases where a candidate WINS the popular vote and loses the election by electoral college, I do think it is very LEGIT for the losing side to aggressively assert that the winner did NOT win a mandate, and thus to unify the nation, NEEDS to offer more compromise than they might have wanted. That's what's happening now, and it's totally legit. I don't think trump will respond to that, but it's worth trying. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that the losers need to vent their disappointment, but what is it they hope to achieve with these demonstrations?

It is not like anything can happen to stop him becoming Pres.

Sure, later on if he is proposing something they disagree with, then by all means protest if you will, but at the moment there is nothing they can change.

4 hours ago, Credo said:

I wasn't a fan of DT, but he won fair and square, and now the US will give him a chance to take the mantle, not necessarily happily, but he will have the chance to prove himself.   

It seems that non Trump fans/supporters always have to add that they are not Trump supporters/fans in their posts. Why is this?

I am OK with the electoral college system although after the Bush vs Gore fiasco, I had to think about that. As long as everyone knows the rules going in, it's fair enough and does have the advantage of small states getting any attention at all. Instead, they get TOO much attention, but no scheme is perfect.
That said, in cases where a candidate WINS the popular vote and loses the election by electoral college, I do think it is very LEGIT for the losing side to aggressively assert that the winner did NOT win a mandate, and thus to unify the nation, NEEDS to offer more compromise that they might have wanted. That's what's happening now, and it's totally legit. I don't think trump will respond to that, but it's worth trying. 

If you look at things objectively Trump is actually to the left of Clinton on some issues.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That said, in cases where a candidate WINS the popular vote and loses the election by electoral college, I do think it is very LEGIT for the losing side to aggressively assert that the winner did NOT win a mandate, and thus to unify the nation, NEEDS to offer more compromise that they might have wanted. That's what's happening now, and it's totally legit. I don't think trump will respond to that, but it's worth trying. 

The losers get to dictate nothing.

Dems lost the house & the senate. They dont have any say for 4 years.

Sit back and enjoy the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Steely Dan said:

If you look at things objectively Trump is actually to the left of Clinton on some issues.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

That is true, or at least was true. It will be very important to see the caliber of people he will surround himself with. Early speculation in that regard is not encouraging.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

I am gobsmacked. Grief counselling for high school and college students over the election (yes, the election). You've got to be joking!!!!!!!!! What has the US come to? It is pathetic. Absolutely, bloody pathetic. 

It probably has a lot to do with the campaign process going on for 18 months. People become obsessed with it as it takes over their lives.

For example, in Australia, the election is called, and 33 - 58 days later it's all over. People don't become so emotionally involved with the process.

Incredibly, even as outsiders, we tend to know more about the US presidents and candidates than our own as it dominates the world media for so long.

4 hours ago, Credo said:

There are some protests, but that's a part of democracy and freedom of expression.

They're burning the American flag dude. Others are blocking roads, students are walking out of classes and others are burning effigies of their future president. They're a bunch of sore losing grubs.

11 minutes ago, coma said:

They're burning the American flag dude. Others are blocking roads, students are walking out of classes and others are burning effigies of their future president. They're a bunch of sore losing grubs.

Damn! are they doing what Trump said his supporters would do if he has lost the elections?

13 minutes ago, coma said:

they should use the same regulation than EU for once :

4 hours ago, RickBradford said:

These silly Lefties think they are doing something noble, deluding themselves they are standing up for Good against Evil.

What has actually happened is that these snowflake people have been so spoiled and cosseted that nobody has ever said ‘No’ to them before, and they’ve been so supervised that there has always been an authority figure to help out in times of distress — either they can run to Mommy to make it better, or to the Dean of the college to make the nasty man go away.

Today, for the first time in their pampered lives, someone has said ‘No’ to them, and there is nobody to run to, to make it better. So, the toys go out of the pram.

Wonderful stuff.

Excellent summation!  Where have you been!!! :smile:

20 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

I understand that the losers need to vent their disappointment, but what is it they hope to achieve with these demonstrations?

It is not like anything can happen to stop him becoming Pres.

Sure, later on if he is proposing something they disagree with, then by all means protest if you will, but at the moment there is nothing they can change.

Trump is being put on notice. As Trump needs to be.

With no power in Washington, the Democratic Party voters will need to take to the streets and to also utilize the independent U.S. courts system against Trump and the wild proposals he's been presenting in impolite and even crude ways each day, the past 16 months. 

Hillary Clinton received the majority of the national Popular Vote. The right ignores the fact as they prepare to start pumping power in their absolute control of Washington, to include especially FBI, and the many cyber intelligence agencies.  

The potential abuse of absolute power in Washington by a Potus Trump in charge of the executive branch, and the Republican Party in complete control of the House and the Senate, are unmistakably foreseeable and they are absolutely predictable.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate leader, spoke to this today:

However, he hinted that they would avoid doing so, saying that majorities should not “overreach” after a big election win. “I think it’s always a mistake to misread your mandate,” Mr. McConnell said. “I don’t think we should act as if we’re going to be in power forever.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/republicans-congress-paul-ryan.html?_r=0 

(Sounds like Mitch didn't get the Trump-Breitbart Memo about being in power forever.)

45 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

The electoral college system prevents the more populated States (California Et al.) from dominating the election

Does it? I just did a rough calculation and noted that there are about 700,000 people per electoral vote in California, more people per electoral vote than most other states.

The way it is now, with the winner taking all, California has a disproportionate advantage in pushing a winner over 270.  

California carries 20.3% of the required 270 electoral votes with a population of about 12% of the nation. Whoever loses California has a much tougher job to win the elections.

37 minutes ago, Dagnabbit said:

I rest my case and I would invite Sen. McConnell to join with me in doing so.

Absolute power corrupts ordinary men and women in government. 

However, when absolute power is grabbed by the hands of ruthless hard core Right Sector extremists, it enables the abuse of every Article and provision of the Constitution itself. Shamelessly and without hesitation or reservation.  

Sen. McConnell shows a consciousness and a commendable reserve that is absolutely absent in the extreme Right Sector of the U.S. body politic. Hell, there's nothing politic about 'em, full stop.

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I reckon much of that crowd is anti-war as well. It's a leftist crowd.

But beyond that I find your point nauseating and disingenous.

I'm assuming you're not in a minority group being threatened with having your civil rights stripped away by a fascist movement.

Don't know if you're married, but if you were and the new president promised to take action that would soon make your marriage invalid, you're seriously telling me you would sit back and not protest that?

Typical lefty loony unicorn chasing rainbow dreamer. Calling someone they oppose a fascist. I don't call you a communist......

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That said, in cases where a candidate WINS the popular vote and loses the election by electoral college, I do think it is very LEGIT for the losing side to aggressively assert that the winner did NOT win a mandate, and thus to unify the nation, NEEDS to offer more compromise than they might have wanted. That's what's happening now, and it's totally legit. I don't think trump will respond to that, but it's worth trying. 

Of course you would have the same view if things were reversed. No thought not!

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

Yep, elections have consequences - BHO

The twerps at Newsweek printed and distributed 125,000 copies of a magazine with the front cover titled 'Madam President' over a picture of a smiling Hillary Clinton.

That Horrible Woman even signed some commemorative copies, and it hit the newsstands on Tuesday.

“Like everybody else, we got it wrong,” Tony Romando, chief executive of Newsweek partner Topix Media, said. They've now been forced into an embarrassing and costly recall.

The next time I have to explain to someone the meaning of the word 'hubris', I need only to point to this example of overweening vanity.

Or I could point to the dictionary definition: "arrogance, conceit, haughtiness, hauteur, pride, self-importance, egotism, pomposity, superciliousness, superiority."

That's the Hillary Clinton camp for you.

6 hours ago, nottocus said:

Cry me a river. The people have spoken. You lost.

Best to get on with your lives instead of indulging in all this hate and negativity... the very thing you were against Trump for.

There's the rub.The majority of people that spoke wanted the devil they knew over a glory hole, but he's proven the system he continually cried can be rigged can't be if he won.

3 hours ago, Usernames said:

SJWs are racist.  Otherwise, they would also be planning on moving to Mexico, instead of just Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.

Don't forget to throw in Africa.

(They don't speak English much over there either.)

Glad to see everyone over there is so happy that they're populating the thread with giddy posts. 

Party on.

3 minutes ago, silent said:

There's the rub.The majority of people that spoke wanted the devil they knew over a glory hole, but he's proven the system he continually cried can be rigged can't be if he won.

Mmmmm. That is not how I heard it......

instead actually it was the incredulous claim that the FBI did their job.......That prompted the system is rigged statements in force.......Also prompted many to vote against such a thing. Yes the system can be rigged....was rigged for years

What was proven is that the citizens of The United States decided enough is enough.

With these two candidates there were always going to be people out on the streets protesting whoever won.  This has been no balanced and constructive election and there is still tremendous anger for people to deal with.

The decision to elect a maverick non politician is revolutionary and should be praised but Donald Trump?  Bizarre beyond belief but that is what has happened.

24 minutes ago, silent said:

Imagine if it wasn't rigged. He would have got 500 electoral college votes

Archived