Thousands join anti-Trump protests around country 

webfact

57 minutes ago, Morch said:

And where do the GOP and the president-elect (or his staff, cabinet and handlers) stand on that? Far as I recall, they are pretty much opposed to such measures, but I could have got it wrong.

He has said he is open to raising the Federal minimum wage. However, IMO, his proposal is not high enough.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/27/politics/donald-trump-minimum-wage/

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Ulysses G. said:

He has said he is open to raising the Federal minimum wage. However, IMO, his proposal is not high enough.

Fine, you got me there. It's 63 cents more than the minimum pay at Walmart. And he said it back in July. Anybody heard from him lately on this topic? Doesn't seem like it's a burning issue with him.  And just to note that if the minimum wage had just kept pace with inflation, it would now be more than $15 per hour.

And it's also useful to note that Trump also said at one point that wages in America are too high. He says lots of things but to judge from who his prospective economic picks are, he'll be tilting severely to the right.

Just now, ilostmypassword said:

Fine, you got me there. It's 63 cents more than the minimum pay at Walmart. And he said it back in July. Anybody heard from him lately on this topic? Doesn't seem like it's a burning issue with him.  And just to note that if the minimum wage had just kept pace with inflation, it would now be more than $15 per hour.

Why would Trump be concerned with the minimum wage? If his plan works better paying jobs will return to the US. If it does not, then there will be more political will to increase it.

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

And it's also useful to note that Trump also said at one point that wages in America are too high. He says lots of things but to judge from who his prospective economic picks are, he'll be tilting severely to the right.

I hadn't seen this update in his "policy". My last recollection, as from the linked article, is that he said "the minimum wage ($7.75) is too much. Bernie's $15 is too high for everywhere. $12 or perhaps a bit more will be correct in some municipalities. $10/hr should be the nationwide minimum standard IMO.

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

My recollection is that Trump is opposed to an increase in the minimum wage. And so would I be if it were still reserved for high school and college students transitioning to better opportunities. The sad fact is that there are tens of millions of people now whose whole lifetime employment will be at the minimum wage or very near it. Even though i am impacted by having to pay more, it is the right thing to do.

1 hour ago, Ulysses G. said:

So doesn't sound as there's much enthusiasm for a meaningful increase, which seems to leave the question of who'll fill these jobs (assuming illegals are deported). Not sure how this is contributing to making America great (again).

1 minute ago, Morch said:

So doesn't sound as there's much enthusiasm for a meaningful increase, which seems to leave the question of who'll fill these jobs (assuming illegals are deported). Not sure how this is contributing to making America great (again).

The minimum wage will go up. If the federal government doesn't see to it the states will. Red states more slowly than others without a federal mandate.

6 minutes ago, Morch said:

It is something like 25% higher than the minimum wage at the moment. However, I agree that it is too low. IMO, $15. should be the minimum NOW - not in another 4 years.

49 minutes ago, Morch said:

If illegals are deported, wages will go up, as it is unlikely citizens would work for such low wages. Of course that is why the employers want illegals as they can exploit them with impunity.

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If illegals are deported, wages will go up, as it is unlikely citizens would work for such low wages. Of course that is why the employers want illegals as they can exploit them with impunity.

That's a nice little theory. It fails to specify how high is high enough, account for people just not opting for certain kind of jobs, and the possible result of higher production costs being rolled on to the consumers. There also doesn't seem to be much of a plan B in case things pan out differently.

5 hours ago, jcsmith said:

Most of the protests have been peaceful. There has been some looting and rioting in some protests, but that is not the norm. Neither is beating up anyone who looks like a Trump supporter.

The victim never divulged who he voted for

• 2 months later...

Archived