Tourist Visa Rejected at Vientiane

Have a friend - had 4 tourist visas before 3 single entry and 1 double entry all from Vientiane. then was on an Ed visa for 6 months. Also has had a non-b for 3 months before and several on-arrival stamps. 

Is now getting a work permit, the Ed visa had been cancelled and went to Vientiane to get a new tourist visa, to then come back and get the non-B process started.

Has been rejected at Vientiane, reason, too many tourist visas.

It is worth trying at Savannakhet or just fly back in for a 30 day exempt. Friend is Russian. 

If he flies tell him not to do it from Don Muang and back. They're really strict on people coming in to Don Muang. Savanaket should be easier. They don't really deny people there. Surprised that they denied him at Vientiane. Even if he had an ED visa prior to getting his new tourist visa, they should have not denied him. 

I'm not really surprised they were rejected at Vientaine with that history. If they are going to be working they could get a Non 'B' at Vientiane with the correct supporting paperwork.

Savannakhet or another office might still issue a new SETV, but you won't get a definitive answer here. Penang, Malaysia might be a better choice using an agent.

• Like 1

Usually Savannakhet is an excellent location to try for a tourist visa. I have never actually seen anyone rejected there. However, they are more likely to take the Vientiane history into consideration than most other locations. Assuming the denial was informal (no stamp in the passport) I think Penang or Hong Kong would certainly be OK.

• 1 year later...

Ive just been denied a tourist visa at Vientiane, unbenownst  to me there was a official stamp on my last visa, something about frequent traveller to Thai with chance of refusal. So now i'm sat here in peaceful Vientiane wondering what my next best option could be... Savanakhet?

38 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Ive just been denied a tourist visa at Vientiane, unbenownst  to me there was a official stamp on my last visa, something about frequent traveller to Thai with chance of refusal. So now i'm sat here in peaceful Vientiane wondering what my next best option could be... Savanakhet?

Where was the visa with stamp on it issued?

Not sure Savannakhet will issue one with a stamp on your previous visa.

If you qualify for one it might be best to reenter the country to get a 30 day visa exempt entry and apply for a new passport before applying for another visa.

If want to stay long time in Thailand, read the rules and regulations. At the same time take notice of what is going on with cracking down on people that are using tourists visas for long stay, or ED-visas and Non-b just for try to stay longer. The combination speaks for it self. Your friend might be lucky one or two times more, but he will eventually or very soon run into a definite stop. If no have any means to own up to the right visas for long stay, then I would guess that your friend would have to consider another country very soon. Good Luck, though! :smile:

7 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Issued at Vientiane. Is there any likelihood of getting denied the 30 day exempt at the land border?

Not unless you have already done 2 of them this year at a land border crossing.

Also the Nong Khai crossing is a friendly one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sambo5000 said:

It's possible this stamp was in  in the OP's friends PP also but he failed to notice it, the stamp is in black colour now and unless you are looking for it it's easy to miss, I got one last year,  if I hadn't been looking for it I wouldn't have spotted it

@BritTim the last time I saw somebody rejected there which was last year, they issued the visa but then put a void stamp on it, he had the "to many tourist visas" stamp already from there but thought he would try his luck

Edited by darrendsd

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, ubonjoe said:

Not unless you have already done 2 of them this year at a land border crossing.

Also the Nong Khai crossing is a friendly one.

I got into Thailand with the 30 day visa exempt, do you think I will be successful in extending it for another 30 days at Chaeng Wattana? Apart from this I have one other visa exempt from June Last year.

2 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

I got into Thailand with the 30 day visa exempt, do you think I will be successful in extending it for another 30 days at Chaeng Wattana?

No problem at all to get a 30 day extension of your entry unless you got it due to a bilateral agreement between Thailand and your home country.

2 minutes ago, Sambo5000 said:

Even with the notice on my previous tourist visa?

No problem since they would not bother looking for and seeing that notice. Immigration does not care about those stamps.