Drivers License Renewal On Samui ...

Originally Posted by evadgib....

Thank you for the time to write this out!

An ‘Idiots Guide’ to renewing  5 year driving licenses:

(See notes at the bottom first!)

Day 1: Immigration:

-          I applied for a ‘Residence Letter’ while doing a normal 90 day report.

-          Only my original passport, written address & 2x photos were required.

-          The cost was THB 500 with no receipt.

-          The above was enough for 2x identical letters for car & bike.

-          I paid a further THB 200 for 2 x Med Certs at a clinic in Naton & had lunch in the 2hr window between applying for and collecting the above. This later proved unnecessary….

Day 2: DLT  (Deptpartment of Land Transportation )

-          Arrive before 0830hrs and take a number giving you a place in the queue and wait to be called.

-          Flash your passport as soon as you are called & put it away unless asked (I wasn’t)

-          DLT expect you to arrive with copies of Passport bio page & current extension page (they called it ‘visa’). If applying for Bike and Car you’ll need two copies.

-          DLT will staple a template to the front & ask you to write your name and phone number at the top and sign all of the above papers.

-          Pass the papers back & wait upstairs until 1030hrs.

-          Shortly before 1030hrs the same paperwork is handed out & you are beckoned into a classroom to watch a mandatory video.

-          After the video everyone is tested for colour blindness (random traffic lights), reaction time (brakes) and depth-perception (‘horse-reins’).

-          Upon completion it’s down stairs for Tea & Medals (for non Brits this means you’ve finished :) )

-          Digital Licences are issued on the ground floor while you wait at just under THB 1,100 for the pair.

Preliminary Notes:

i.                     Licences are valid for FIVE BIRTHDAYS from the date of issue

ii.                   Current licences need to have EXPIRED (!) before you can renew.

iii.                  You can renew up to ONE YEAR after the above but you’re in a position of weakness with insurers if you have an accident. It therefore makes sence to do it just after your current licence expires which gives you SIX YEARS before you need do it again.

iv.                 Applying for residence certificates while doing a 90 day report is self explanatory.

v.                   If renewing after a year a medical certificate is required, as is a retest.

vi.                 I (50’s/ one month after my licences expired) had Med Certs in my possession but they weren’t required. The over 70’s should take them as a precaution but we (wife-Language-We were very specific and asked about 70+/age restrictions) were lead to believe they were only needed after a year.

vii.                Sign everything before you leave home in order to avoid the scrum as 30+ people elbow their way at the available space there! A Pen, Envelope/A4 sleeve, bottle of water and a sweat cloth are advisable too as they’re economical with the fans & even more so with the air con! Wearing trousers etc didn’t help re pers comfort but I was finished by midday & won’t be back until late 2022 :)

viii.              Staff were helpful and accommodating.

ix.                 The ‘Mon/Wed/Fri’ confusion applies to initial licences only. Renewals are processed every day.

x.                   For clarity; If it isn’t mentioned above and you are retired, married & renewing a five year licence YOU DON’T NEED IT!

DLT office is located in Lipa Noi, follow the road to Raja Ferry .... it's on the left side, just before Military base entrance.

Edited to use correct term SJ.

Edited 7 hours ago by evadgib

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived