Health Insurance - what to watch out for

Sheryl

I'd wait and see what the Thai government wants expats to get if they do before making a substantial commitment of money. 

I think you've got your priorities wrong ????  Your priority should be to obtain the best medical insurance policy that meets your medical needs.

If that policy doesn't satisfy the possible insurance requirements of the Thai government, then you should consider moving to a country where this isn't an issue.

What is more important?  Your health cover or the greed of the Thai government? ????

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes Sheryl, the international one. AA actually quoted about $60 dollars a year cheaper than April’s home site.

The first suggestion from AA was David Shield for US 1.25M versus 1M annual coverage for April, no deductible and cheaper than April. Everything else seems to be the same. David Shield wanted a blood test for over age 60 (cholesterols and a few other things checked) You ever look in to them Sheryl? $2076 first year, age 64
I couldn't as I'm over 65.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

Will Stay 6 months in Thailand with my (thai)Wife.

Im just curious if there is a good/cheap health insurance in Thailand available for me or if i should get a travel insurance from Germany again.

Im 32 years old and have no health issues at the moment.

Help would be appreciated a lot ????

Im not going to do some extrem sport adventure kinda holiday.. but just in case a car runs me over etc..

Cheap Thai insurance provides minimal cover and the small print needs very careful scrutiny - Travel Insurance is your best bet but once again be careful and read the exclusions.

21 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

Will Stay 6 months in Thailand with my (thai)Wife.

Im just curious if there is a good/cheap health insurance in Thailand available for me or if i should get a travel insurance from Germany again.

Im 32 years old and have no health issues at the moment.

Help would be appreciated a lot ????

Im not going to do some extrem sport adventure kinda holiday.. but just in case a car runs me over etc..

Heard some good things about this group.............

2 hours ago, xylophone said:
Heard some good things about this group.............

I had policies with them in the past - I believe they can cover up to 18 months if necessary.

The small print ticked all my boxes and, at the time, covered motor bikes up to a certain level.

Certainly a good basis for comparisons with others.

3 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

or if i should get a travel insurance from Germany again.

Compare the 2 but if your home country offering covered all your requirements to the right level then that is probably the best.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:01 PM, Sheryl said:

It depends on the details of the main health insurance.

I personally have both because my main policy (1) is inpatient only and (2) has deductible and copays (both by my choice, to decrease premium costs).

As personal accident insurance is quite cheap I took that out so that I have full coverage (up to the maximum) for in & outpt without any deductible (accidents only, of course).

If your main health insurance covers outpatient as well as inpatient with no deductibles or copays then indeed no need for an accident policy (unless you want the disability/death benefit). But that will mean you have a very expensive main  health policy. An inpt only, with deductible, main health insurance policy plus a separate PA policy is a good compromise cost/benefit wise.

But be careful which PA policy you select, many have ridiculously low medical benefit. You want the highest available medical benefit for your age. For people under 65 this will usually be Siam City S1 plan (625 k), for those 65-79 years Bangkok Insurance PA 45+ plan (200 K). 80 years onward the maximum benefit is so low that may not be worth getting.

Do you mind if I ask what does 'deductibles or copays' mean. Im trying to sort a private health insurance for my wife who's aged in her mid 30's. 

Can you recommend an international private insurance provider that's governed by western regulation that can be used in Thailand?

thanks

44 minutes ago, ghworker2010 said:

Do you mind if I ask what does 'deductibles or copays' mean. Im trying to sort a private health insurance for my wife who's aged in her mid 30's. 

Can you recommend an international private insurance provider that's governed by western regulation that can be used in Thailand?

thanks

Deductible is an amount you pay first. For example, 0 deductible means the insurance covers all. $500 deductible means you pay the first $500 and the insurance covers the amount in excess of this. deductibles are also sometimes called Excess. They are usually optional. People often choose to accept them because they lower premiums.

Copays are also optional. They mean that you pay a percentage of the costs and insurance pays the rest. For example, 10% copay - you pay 10% and the insurance 90%. Typically there is a maximum amount that you can be out of pocket, after which the insurance covers 100%.

Obviously you should make sure you can afford to pay the deductible and copay if you choose to have them, and set that money aside.

All expat policies will cover you in Thailand. Just look for a policy for expatriates. Some of the popular ones are Cigna Global, April My Health International (from France, not April Thailand),  David Shield, Globality Health, AXA (has I think both international policies and Thai issued oens so be careful). A broker can advise in more detail.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

All expat policies will cover you in Thailand. Just look for a policy for expatriates. Some of the popular ones are Cigna Global, April My Health International (from France, not April Thailand),  David Shield, Globality Health, AXA (has I think both international policies and Thai issued oens so be careful). A broker can advise in more detail.

Unfortunately most do not cover pre-existing conditions. Some may make exceptions for preexisting conditions but that needs approval beforehand. David Shield is one who will work with pre-exisiting conditions.

I found it interesting when I bought an Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) policy that it will cover me outside of the USA for serious emergencies like heart attacks and serious car accidents. Life and death type immediate treatment to stabilize someone. Other illnesses are not covered so one must go home to receive benefits.

Archived