BANGKOK 17 February 2019 04:27
Sheryl

Health Insurance - what to watch out for

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

It depends on the details of the main health insurance.

I personally have both because my main policy (1) is inpatient only and (2) has deductible and copays (both by my choice, to decrease premium costs).

As personal accident insurance is quite cheap I took that out so that I have full coverage (up to the maximum) for in & outpt without any deductible (accidents only, of course).

If your main health insurance covers outpatient as well as inpatient with no deductibles or copays then indeed no need for an accident policy (unless you want the disability/death benefit). But that will mean you have a very expensive main  health policy. An inpt only, with deductible, main health insurance policy plus a separate PA policy is a good compromise cost/benefit wise.

But be careful which PA policy you select, many have ridiculously low medical benefit. You want the highest available medical benefit for your age. For people under 65 this will usually be Siam City S1 plan (625 k), for those 65-79 years Bangkok Insurance PA 45+ plan (200 K). 80 years onward the maximum benefit is so low that may not be worth getting.

Interesting information on PA. But 200k max (I’m 66) is so low I could cover that easily from my own funds. I’m looking for something to cover me for a more catastrophic accident say 500k to 1million. Any suggestions? 

AFAIK at 66 there is no PA policy you can get with better benefit.

I could cover 200k if I had to also, but for premium of only 6k a year and with coverage that includes outpt etc it seems a good deal. Of course I also have 1 million USD cover through my main policy.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/26/2018 at 3:01 PM, Sheryl said:

For people under 65 this will usually be Siam City S1 plan (625 k),

Just in case anyone else is looking at this the premium is 14,800 baht - according to the info I have just been sent.

Edit - also cover for m/c accidents whether passenger or driver is extra and there is currently no English translation of their contract.

Edited by topt

On 11/26/2016 at 4:07 PM, Sheryl said:

My current company is BUPA Thailand (Platinum Plan) but I am looking to change as they do not meet criteria #2 and 3. I want to switch to a policy which does while I am still healthy, one I can expect to stay with for life.

Still searching, just emailed a broker to help me. My "short list" was (in no particular order)

• Cigna Global
  • A+ (SEA plan)
  • Globaility
  • William Russell
  • April

Any reasons why you didn't consider ACS in your list even though you  mentioned some good things about them in a previous post?

I agree with Sherryl. After many years with local insurers here in Thailand I left for an international one (Cigna). A friend of mine got kicked out of Thai Health Insurance Co. Ltd and others have had problems with Bupa, LMG, AIA, Pacific Cross, AXA and there are dozens more local ones - all operating in the same way. Once one reaches 50 it is wise to go with an international insurer based outside of Thailand. I'm insured inpatient only from Cigna with a deductible of 1,500 US$ in Thailand and in my home country Sweden. Can't comment on what Cigna are like because I haven't had to use them and hope to never have to use them. I pay 50,000 Baht a year.  

Edited by Flow

On 11/26/2016 at 4:07 PM, Sheryl said:

My current company is BUPA Thailand (Platinum Plan) but I am looking to change as they do not meet criteria #2 and 3. I want to switch to a policy which does while I am still healthy, one I can expect to stay with for life.

Still searching, just emailed a broker to help me. My "short list" was (in no particular order)

• Cigna Global
  • A+ (SEA plan)
  • Globaility
  • William Russell
  • April

Though the last one looks iffy as it seems, if I read correctly, that they require a second opinion by a doctor of their choosing. If so, that is out as I am not going to give an insurance company veto power over my health care, which is what that would amount to. But I may have misunderstood that provision.

It is also possible I have overlooked some, this is just what I have unearthed so far that looks possible.

Hi Sheryl- Since you have gone with April, was the “second opinion” in their policy? Thanks for all your research....I have an email in to AA for help.

5 hours ago, claynlr said:

Hi Sheryl- Since you have gone with April, was the “second opinion” in their policy? Thanks for all your research....I have an email in to AA for help.

No, no such requirement. There  is a pre-authorization process (as with ll insurance) but based on information provided by your own doctor/hospital. No mandatory second opinion.

this is the MyHealth International Plan, not the MyHealth Thailand plan.

Yes Sheryl, the international one. AA actually quoted about $60 dollars a year cheaper than April’s home site.

The first suggestion from AA was David Shield for US 1.25M versus 1M annual coverage for April, no deductible and cheaper than April. Everything else seems to be the same. David Shield wanted a blood test for over age 60 (cholesterols and a few other things checked) You ever look in to them Sheryl? $2076 first year, age 64