It’s actually happening: Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry to begin on Jan 1st

webfact

It’s actually happening: Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry to begin on Jan 1st

fee.jpg
Picture: Manager Online

BANGKOK: -- The proposed ferry service between Pattaya and Hua Hin will begin on January 1st, the Marine Department has announced.

The new service will be operated by Royal Passenger Liner Co and will initially only be available to passengers, reports Manager Online.

The service will operate a daily round trip between the two destinations.

Making the announcement, Marine Department director-general Sorasak Sansombat said Royal Passenger Liner Co had been the only company to apply for license to operate the service.

The ferry service is expected to slash journey times between the two popular resorts by almost two thirds, Mr Sorasak said.

Initially the ferry will be able to accommodate up to 150 passengers per trip, while a larger ferry with a capacity of 260 passengers will be added to the service at a later date.

The ferry will cruise at a speed of around 27 knots during the 113km journey.

No further details regarding fares and scheduling are expected to be announced after Dec 15.

The Pattaya-Hua Hin ferry service is part of the Thai government's East-West Ferry Project which aims to boost tourism and logistics between Chonburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Earlier this month a promotional video which was reported in Thai language media gave a first glimpse of what the final ferry service may look like when it is fully operational by 2020.

In the video, a state of the art catamaran could be seen transporting both passengers and vehicles.

Source: Manager Online

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-14

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Pdaz said:

Just over 2 hours of watching Thais chunder in abject misery. My missus can get seasick just watching the TV.. God help anyone on a boat with her. The Gulf of Thailand is far from being a mill pond.

will depend on the size of the boat they use. naturally the larger boats will be more stable and less likely to cause to cause side effects.

passengers only ? sounds like a - try it and see

This will be a failure because passenger only service is useless.....either go for it or don't

This service needs to support vehicles for which there is a huge market IMO - DELETED

Various east-west ferries have been tried - they seem usually to end in a fire or some other mishap. - DELETED

I ferry carrying only passengers may/may not fit the bill - to me I would have though that a vehicle carrying ship would be more useful.....both tourist and traders could make use of this short-cut.

but one has to add the proviso, "I'll believe it when I see it".......operating for over a year that is.

Isn't it about a 5 hour drive to HH?  Perhaps a bit less according to my GPS.  Baring getting stuck in some nasty traffic in Bangkok.  27 knots is about 50kph.  That's a bit over 2 hours.  Add in the boarding time, deboarding, getting up to speed, etc, I think their calculations are a bit off?  2/3rds of 5 hours is 1.5 hours.

First cup of coffee so my calculations may be off! LOL

4 hours ago, smedly said:

This will be a failure because passenger only service is useless.....either go for it or don't

This service needs to support vehicles for which there is a huge market IMO

Yeah, they need to do freight, people and autos to maximize profits.  Would love to see their forecast ROI .  

1 minute ago, yellowboat said:

Yeah, they need to do freight, people and autos to maximize profits.  Would love to see their forecast ROI .  

4 hours and 320 km....by road.....so you need to balance that against any savings a vehicle may make in terms or fuel, time saved and wages.......if a ticket e/w is less than this cost then a vehicle ferry might be the answer. Of course a vehicle carying cat is not cheap....there may be a few on the market - Tasmania and EU spring to mind as places using them.

This service needs to support vehicles for which there is a huge market IMO -

i dont think they will be able to make it viable for cars. i just drove to hua hin and back for 1500thb petrol. pretty sure the ferry would cost a lot more than that each way.

is this the same ferry service that has been tried twice before?

if they too scooters then that would be great as driving a car in hua hin is very frustrating. may be just renting a scooter over there is a better idea.

either way i hope the service gets going at least for people and can keep going through the low season.

5 minutes ago, Loeilad said:

4 hours and 320 km....by road.....so you need to balance that against any savings a vehicle may make in terms or fuel, time saved and wages.......if a ticket e/w is less than this cost then a vehicle ferry might be the answer. Of course a vehicle carying cat is not cheap....there may be a few on the market - Tasmania and EU spring to mind as places using them.

4 hours sounds ambitious. 4 1/2 - 5 hours accounting for traffic sounds more realistic.

will it  be local pricing or tourist pricing ?

and how many trips a day ?

I just do not see that many people caring ,  it needs at least motorbikes shipped for an extra fee ,

When I took the car ferry from Dover to Belguim I would stay below deck and sleep in my Van , 

DELETED

14 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Isn't it about a 5 hour drive to HH?  Perhaps a bit less according to my GPS.  Baring getting stuck in some nasty traffic in Bangkok.  27 knots is about 50kph.  That's a bit over 2 hours.  Add in the boarding time, deboarding, getting up to speed, etc, I think their calculations are a bit off?  2/3rds of 5 hours is 1.5 hours.

First cup of coffee so my calculations may be off! LOL

Yes your are correct, your maths is shit. 2/3 of 5 is 3.333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

This service needs to support vehicles for which there is a huge market IMO -

Fortune telling is not my expertise.

THe numbers suggested are as laughable as curing ebola.

27 kn is almost 50km/hr. 

A brisk cruising speed is 15kns  or about 26 kms/hr. As the crow flies, 113 km it is well over 4 hours notwithstanding docking etc. 

I suspect, this will fail like the last incantation around 2012. It will be quicker by car and then you have the convenience. Until they get a lightning vehicle ferry, this will never work regardless of price.

http://www.huahinmedia.com/huahinferry.php

Archived