• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Thai news is 1000 baht per person 

3000 baht per car

GF is reading it to me now !!!

I will be driving     Lol.

Perhaps just being setup for tourists?  Those who would otherwise have to take one of those horrible minivans? LOL

Too expensive for the average Thai person, too much of a hassle for those who can afford to drive?

52 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

Thai news is 1000 baht per person 

3000 baht per car

GF is reading it to me now !!!

I will be driving     Lol.

bwahahahahahaha, defo driving the car if thats the case infact what sort of DELETED would even consider it at those prices ?

3 hours ago, Loeilad said:

4 hours and 320 km....by road.....so you need to balance that against any savings a vehicle may make in terms or fuel, time saved and wages.......if a ticket e/w is less than this cost then a vehicle ferry might be the answer. Of course a vehicle carying cat is not cheap....there may be a few on the market - Tasmania and EU spring to mind as places using them.

3 hours ago, Benmart said:

Fortune telling is not my expertise.

To carry vehicle and passengers they would need  a RO RO  roll on roll off and quite a large one.

Where would it berth at Hua Hin??

It sounds like the usual case of announcing things before they are finalised as the feasability survey will not even be prepared untill Dec 15th. There is also talk of            improving the access roads at both ports and of course the still unconfirmed question of from Pattaya to where.

No way a boat that size can dock at Hua Hin so it will have to be further south, probably the other side of Pranburi, which could add a further 25km to the crossing and of course the alternative route by road.

Out with the calculators again.

35 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

bwahahahahahaha, defo driving the car if thats the case infact what sort of  would even consider it at those prices ?

Looks like you pay about 4000 extra for two and your car, to gain probably nothing by time they get your car off. I don't get it either. I'd rather drive too. I think I would challenge anybody leaving the house at the same time that I could be there to greet them at the other side. Probably have to wait a while.

Great, BUT.......................

How safe will it be? Fully trained and licensed responsible and accountable boat operators and crew? And those who issue licenses will also be held accountable and responsible? Enough safety gear aboard for ALL passengers? And the list goes on...................

1 hour ago, optad said:

Hong Kong - Macao ferry is about 60 kms and takes a tad over one hour. Done it twice. The ferries leave every fifteen minutes and cost about 30aud. That is about half the distance, a third of the old price and a quarter of the time and fifty times the frequency!!!!

So the Pattaya to HH ferry can be done. .......... It just that the thais do infrastructure differently. lol!

The above does high the difference too in that SAR region and Thailand. I like that about LOS. Total madness in south china but they do make anything possible. I don't mind it when things don't really work. Just me.

Also it's kind of challenging to drive from Macau to Honkers...

57 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Perhaps just being setup for tourists?  Those who would otherwise have to take one of those horrible minivans? LOL

Too expensive for the average Thai person, too much of a hassle for those who can afford to drive?

Depends on on how nice the boat is...might be nice a couple

times a year, boat ride and great seafood in Hua Hin...

Anyone do anything practical like a feasibility study, to determine the economics of rider and freight usage vs. operating costs?

Or is this just another "half-nice-idea"?

Bureaucrats and politicians world-wide are really good at half-nice-ideas, that do not think a project through to completion. i.e. Obamacare!

4 hours ago, underjoh said:

I agree.

4 hours from getting on to getting off will be closer to the mark than 2 hours.

Pointless. 4 hours by ferry, 5 hours by car and you have use of the car when you get there. I bet the return fare for 2 passengers will be 6,000+ baht way more than the cost in gas.

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

To carry vehicle and passengers they would need  a RO RO  roll on roll off and quite a large one.

Where would it berth at Hua Hin??

I would think that there are many "roll on roll off" ferries (faeries) in both Pattaya and Hua Hin  :whistling:

4 hours ago, rixalex said:

4 hours sounds ambitious. 4 1/2 - 5 hours accounting for traffic sounds more realistic.

when i did this trip 6 years ago, leaving from jomtien,  it took 3 1/2 hours. I must admit i just like to get places quickly, with only a brief stop on the way to grab a drink from 7/11. 

So 4 hours does not seem ambitious to me and quite a pleasant journey ( no sat nav required)

i thought it would be  the same when i purchased a motor cycle in Hua Hin 2 years ago.

However it then took me 8 hours to get back ( maybe longer). What a nightmare that was with my sat nav in bangkok sending me up one road  then sending me back down again on 2 occasions. 

20 minutes ago, Dene16 said:

when i did this trip 6 years ago, leaving from jomtien,  it took 3 1/2 hours. I must admit i just like to get places quickly, with only a brief stop on the way to grab a drink from 7/11. 

So 4 hours does not seem ambitious to me and quite a pleasant journey ( no sat nav required)

i thought it would be  the same when i purchased a motor cycle in Hua Hin 2 years ago.

However it then took me 8 hours to get back ( maybe longer). What a nightmare that was with my sat nav in bangkok sending me up one road  then sending me back down again on 2 occasions. 

Traffic has at least doubled over the past 6 years. I'm sure you've noticed that here in Pattaya!!!

6 hours ago, craigrosier said:

Get real. There is no way that vessel will be able to cruise at 27 knots. I estimate that 18 knots would be it maximum speed so a cruising speed of about 15 knots is realistic. Therefore estimate double the time expected especially when you consider docking time.

I seriously doubt the vessel in the pic will be the one used as it shows a ro-ro ship.

That boat in the picture does not look capable of doing 27 knots to me, more like 17 knots and I have to say it does not look like the latest ship launched! The service is a good idea but I will wait and see what happens.

28 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Traffic has at least doubled over the past 6 years. I'm sure you've noticed that here in Pattaya!!!

I do not live in Thailand or have frequented Pattaya for the last 2 years  so unfortunately do not notice the changes as well as yourself but i'm sure you are correct

26 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I seriously doubt the vessel in the pic will be the one used as it shows a ro-ro ship.

It would be interesting if someone could identify this ship and maybe where she is in operation. 

I googled :Royal Passenger Liner Co.................. Blank. Nothing. No hits. Is this company located in someone's Pattaya condo?

Archived