Thailand now has more than 37 million registered cars

webfact

Thailand now has more than 37 million registered cars

IMG_6368.jpg

BANGKOK: -- There are now more than 37 million registered cars and motorcycles in Thailand, including 2.45 million units registered this year, said Mr Sanit Promwong, director-general of Land Transport Department, on Monday.

Altogether 37,268,655 vehicles have been registered until now. These are divided into 20,289,721 motorcycles, 8,146.250 passenger cars, 6,259,806 pick-up trucks, 1,049,749 trucks and 156,089 public transport.

During the January-October period, a total of 2,456,686 vehicles were registered. These are divided into 1,620,901 motorcycles, an increase of 84,281 over the same period last year; 490,124 passenger cars that carry not more than seven people, an increase of 35,854 over the same period last year; and 212,281 pick-up trucks – a drop of 3,631 units from the same period last year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-now-has-more-than-37-million-registered-cars/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-11-15

7 minutes ago, trogers said:

And people say this country has many poor...?

It certainly has a lot of people in debt.

I applied for my first Thai credit card and they have me a 200k limit. My missus who earns a lot less than me was given a 250k limit.

My missus is very level headed, but most people aren't when it comes to spending money that isn't theirs. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

It certainly has a lot of people in debt.

I applied for my first Thai credit card and they have me a 200k limit. My missus who earns a lot less than me was given a 250k limit.

My missus is very level headed, but most people aren't when it comes to spending money that isn't theirs. 

Just over a decade ago, a prominent politician had said that since taxes were used to bailout corporates (during the Asian Financial Crisis), taxes should also be used to bailout those not qualified for loans of financial institutions.

Thus, we are now seeing the end results...

41 minutes ago, trogers said:

And people say this country has many poor...?

The automobile itself is impoverishing.  It makes the greedy rich and keeps the poor poor.  It is a terrible consumer item that is highly sophisticate and built to lower standards, therefor always in need of repair and upkeep.  It also takes up large amounts of space, requires insurance and it pollutes.  Not needing a car makes you less poor.

58 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The automobile itself is impoverishing.  It makes the greedy rich and keeps the poor poor.  It is a terrible consumer item that is highly sophisticate and built to lower standards, therefor always in need of repair and upkeep.  It also takes up large amounts of space, requires insurance and it pollutes.  Not needing a car makes you less poor.

requires insurance   55555555555555555

14 milion cars and trucks wouldn't be such a remarkable number considering a population of 60 millions and an area of more than 500.000 Km2. However, I bet that > 80% of those are in Bangkok... That explains the traffic... :sick: :wacko:

20 millions motorcycles? I bet they are much much more.

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Thailand now has more than 37 million registered cars...............

And about 50,000 registered drivers !

According to the government this is an affluent country. People could own multiple cars. I know of one new truck parked here in a garage when the owner and his g/f went to S. Korea to work illegally. He will no doubt need years and years of hard labor to build up a bankroll. His brother in law wanted to buy the vehicle but his g/f said no???? so it sits there and rots. He had a little setback this week gallstones and no health insurance oh well back to square one I guess. 

Then we proceed to the farming regions and start on a count of the unregistered sam lores, Kabolta mini trucks, tractors, motorised buffelo, and any number of other dangerous road users who dont give a toss and are above the law. Just have a prang with one of these pricks and see who pays the bin regardless of licensing, wrong doing etc.

Archived