BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Thai banks to waive inter-provincial ATM charges from now until January 3rd

Thai banks to waive inter-provincial ATM charges from now until January 3rd

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Bankers' Association has announced that they will waive interprovincial ATM charges from November 15th until January 3rd. There are 15 banks that are members.

The waiving of charges only applies to transactions between the same banks' ATMs - not inter bank ATMs.

President of the association Preedee Daochai said the move is to help out the many visitors to Bangkok during the funeral rights of the late king His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-15

I guess that is a good thing.   On the Expat Side, i would like to thank Navy Federal Credit Union and my active duty checking account that rebates all the Fees.  Its like another paycheck  55555555

So the banks installed atm's to save money on personellcosts but have to charge their own customers from another province, how greedy they are! That's why i won't open a Thai bankaccount.

Also the 200 baht atm-fee for westerners is absurd but tourist numbers will show it this year.

^^ Yep, you also have to pay for that atm card very year, something like 300 baht. Banks tend to stink the world over, but Thai banks have the big con down pat. 

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So the banks installed atm's to save money on personellcosts but have to charge their own customers from another province, how greedy they are! That's why i won't open a Thai bankaccount.

Also the 200 baht atm-fee for westerners is absurd but tourist numbers will show it this year.

I don't know about your country, but in the countries I have experiences of in Europe the banks will charge for withdrawals from an ATM of another bank, and much more than the 15B I get charged now across cities in Thailand.

About the 200B fee for withdrawing with a foreign card, you would not incur it if you had a thai bank account.

25 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I don't know about your country, but in the countries I have experiences of in Europe the banks will charge for withdrawals from an ATM of another bank, and much more than the 15B I get charged now across cities in Thailand.

About the 200B fee for withdrawing with a foreign card, you would not incur it if you had a thai bank account.

My wife has a thai bankaccount. When she goes to do payment for her car it has to be at a certain bank, thai even can't do that at another bank and also they even don't have automatic monthly payments she told me. Welcome to the middle ages, i'll keep my money abroad.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

A 200 baht atm fee for 'Westerners'???? What are you talking about. There are many more people from non western countries using bank accounts in Thailand. It seems to me you are playing a 'race card'. The Thai banking system has many small charges just like other banking systems around the world, including Europe. In my hometown you have to pay an extra fee to lodge at the counter instead of through a machine!! That's just one example. I can find more but I have other things to do. I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My wife has a thai bankaccount. When she goes to do payment for her car it has to be at a certain bank, thai even can't do that at another bank and also they even don't have automatic monthly payments she told me. Welcome to the middle ages, i'll keep my money abroad.

See above...

12 minutes ago, claffey said:

A 200 baht atm fee for 'Westerners'???? What are you talking about. There are many more people from non western countries using bank accounts in Thailand. It seems to me you are playing a 'race card'. The Thai banking system has many small charges just like other banking systems around the world, including Europe. In my hometown you have to pay an extra fee to lodge at the counter instead of through a machine!! That's just one example. I can find more but I have other things to do. I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!

Wow! thers a reason for brexit and trump right there. 

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

The inter provincial charge was originally there for telex fee between the banches but as today everything is stored on the main computer in Bangkok it should have been cancelled but.....  Many time the BOT asked the bank to cancel this fee but guess what ...they do not want...

I've never understood why the banks here are allowed to charge these "interprovincial" fees in the first place. I understand having to pay a fee if I qithdraw money from a different bank's ATM, but not my own bank's ATM. 

Just another source of income. 

Yes, banks the world over have various little fees that help their profit margins.

In the UK, banks tried to introduce these fees, but public opinion forced their suspension. You can use any bank ATM free, ATM cards have no annual fee. They make up for it by stinging you for overdrafts etc.

Some ATMs like Link at entertainment venues etc charge a fee, but they warn you before they take it.

However, cash is becoming a thing of the past there with so many other payment options. I usually draw £200 when I arrive and bring most of it back to Thailand as cards are ubiquitous. I am sure this will slowly happen in Thailand, especially if there is a threat from the Government to copy India and get rid of the black money. Dreaming again.

39 minutes ago, claffey said:

I suggest you think first before you reply on a public forum!

European bankcards have to pay an EXTRA fee in Thailand when using their atm. The fee is 180 or 200 baht these days on top of the normal fee of 100 which has to be paid to the european bank for international service.

I complained about this to my european bank who immediatly refunded me ALL my atm surchargers of 180 baht for the last 10 years, cash on my bankaccount.

If you consider a 200 baht surcharge on a 10.000 Baht (max..) withdrawal a small amount i suggest you buy a new calculator.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I just don´t think the ATM fees for westerners is going to have much to do with the amount of tourists that comes from 1 year to antother.