Thai banks to waive inter-provincial ATM charges from now until January 3rd

webfact

Thai banks to waive inter-provincial ATM charges from now until January 3rd

a1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Bankers' Association has announced that they will waive interprovincial ATM charges from November 15th until January 3rd. There are 15 banks that are members.

The waiving of charges only applies to transactions between the same banks' ATMs - not inter bank ATMs.

President of the association Preedee Daochai said the move is to help out the many visitors to Bangkok during the funeral rights of the late king His Majesty Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-11-15

So the banks installed atm's to save money on personellcosts but have to charge their own customers from another province, how greedy they are! That's why i won't open a Thai bankaccount.

Also the 200 baht atm-fee for westerners is absurd but tourist numbers will show it this year.

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

So the banks installed atm's to save money on personellcosts but have to charge their own customers from another province, how greedy they are! That's why i won't open a Thai bankaccount.

Also the 200 baht atm-fee for westerners is absurd but tourist numbers will show it this year.

I don't know about your country, but in the countries I have experiences of in Europe the banks will charge for withdrawals from an ATM of another bank, and much more than the 15B I get charged now across cities in Thailand.

About the 200B fee for withdrawing with a foreign card, you would not incur it if you had a thai bank account.

25 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I don't know about your country, but in the countries I have experiences of in Europe the banks will charge for withdrawals from an ATM of another bank, and much more than the 15B I get charged now across cities in Thailand.

About the 200B fee for withdrawing with a foreign card, you would not incur it if you had a thai bank account.

My wife has a thai bankaccount. When she goes to do payment for her car it has to be at a certain bank, thai even can't do that at another bank and also they even don't have automatic monthly payments she told me. Welcome to the middle ages, i'll keep my money abroad.

A 200 baht atm fee for 'Westerners'???? What are you talking about. There are many more people from non western countries using bank accounts in Thailand. It seems to me you are playing a 'race card'. The Thai banking system has many small charges just like other banking systems around the world, including Europe. In my hometown you have to pay an extra fee to lodge at the counter instead of through a machine!! That's just one example. I can find more but I have other things to do. I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

My wife has a thai bankaccount. When she goes to do payment for her car it has to be at a certain bank, thai even can't do that at another bank and also they even don't have automatic monthly payments she told me. Welcome to the middle ages, i'll keep my money abroad.

See above...

12 minutes ago, claffey said:

A 200 baht atm fee for 'Westerners'???? What are you talking about. There are many more people from non western countries using bank accounts in Thailand. It seems to me you are playing a 'race card'. The Thai banking system has many small charges just like other banking systems around the world, including Europe. In my hometown you have to pay an extra fee to lodge at the counter instead of through a machine!! That's just one example. I can find more but I have other things to do. I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!

Wow! thers a reason for brexit and trump right there. 

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

The inter provincial charge was originally there for telex fee between the banches but as today everything is stored on the main computer in Bangkok it should have been cancelled but.....  Many time the BOT asked the bank to cancel this fee but guess what ...they do not want...

I've never understood why the banks here are allowed to charge these "interprovincial" fees in the first place. I understand having to pay a fee if I qithdraw money from a different bank's ATM, but not my own bank's ATM. 

Just another source of income. 

Yes, banks the world over have various little fees that help their profit margins.

In the UK, banks tried to introduce these fees, but public opinion forced their suspension. You can use any bank ATM free, ATM cards have no annual fee. They make up for it by stinging you for overdrafts etc.

Some ATMs like Link at entertainment venues etc charge a fee, but they warn you before they take it.

However, cash is becoming a thing of the past there with so many other payment options. I usually draw £200 when I arrive and bring most of it back to Thailand as cards are ubiquitous. I am sure this will slowly happen in Thailand, especially if there is a threat from the Government to copy India and get rid of the black money. Dreaming again.

39 minutes ago, claffey said:

I suggest you think first before you reply on a public forum!

European bankcards have to pay an EXTRA fee in Thailand when using their atm. The fee is 180 or 200 baht these days on top of the normal fee of 100 which has to be paid to the european bank for international service.

I complained about this to my european bank who immediatly refunded me ALL my atm surchargers of 180 baht for the last 10 years, cash on my bankaccount.

If you consider a 200 baht surcharge on a 10.000 Baht (max..) withdrawal a small amount i suggest you buy a new calculator.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

I just don´t think the ATM fees for westerners is going to have much to do with the amount of tourists that comes from 1 year to antother.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

European bankcards have to pay an EXTRA fee in Thailand when using their atm. The fee is 180 or 200 baht these days on top of the normal fee of 100 which has to be paid to the european bank for international service.

I complained about this to my european bank who immediatly refunded me ALL my atm surchargers of 180 baht for the last 10 years, cash on my bankaccount.

If you consider a 200 baht surcharge on a 10.000 Baht (max..) withdrawal a small amount i suggest you buy a new calculator.

May I ask which bank? I am with NatWest and would love a refund, it should be quite a few quid.

37 minutes ago, claffey said:

And just what day are you going to wake up and know what you write about before you click submit?

Just now, Get Real said:

I just don´t think the ATM fees for westerners is going to have much to do with the amount of tourists that comes from 1 year to antother.

It's not from one year to another, it's already happening since a few years now. There are no western tourists, guess why?

The baht is too strong, the airport tax is high, the atm-fee is very high, the scamming continues, the roadsafety is not improved at all, thailand is not considered a safe destination and has negativ traveladvice, there is a bombthread in Thailand at touristic spots....need some more reasons?

Just now, fruitman said:

It's not from one year to another, it's already happening since a few years now. There are no western tourists, guess why?

The baht is too strong, the airport tax is high, the atm-fee is very high, the scamming continues, the roadsafety is not improved at all, thailand is not considered a safe destination and has negativ traveladvice, there is a bombthread in Thailand at touristic spots....need some more reasons?

Exactly, and that had how much to do with the 200 bath ATM fees that I replied on. Hmmmm???

I bow for you knowledge though. It´s not easy to know that much, and you had more if I wanted! I think I have that knowledge and the experience of the country already. 

Thanks anyway, man!

2 minutes ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

May I ask which bank? I am with NatWest and would love a refund, it should be quite a few quid.

Just call them and tell them they gave you a "worldcard" which you should be able to use all over the world. They already charge you for international use so it's ridiculous to charge another 200 baht for a small withdrawal. Quality tourists easy spend 10.000 baht a day so would have to pay 200 for using the atm every day again. It's pure theft and greed.

Many banks are not aware of these practises in Thailand, they do know how dangerous plastic money is in Thailand though. That's why they lowered the max. withdrawal from 20-30.000 a  time to 10.000 a time. Also they blocked ALL Thai atm's in Thailand unless their customer opens that option to use the card in Thailand. Thailand is on the black list for dangerous countries, ask your bank about it. So is paypal by the way.

14 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Just being neutral what does your own bank charge for their part in the transaction?

Just now, silent said:

Just being neutral what does your own bank charge for their part in the transaction?

2.25 euro for each transaction...i don't know who keeps the profit of the exchange rate. Somebody should take that though since i get a much better rate at the moneychangers in BKK.

My wife has a thai bankaccount. When she goes to do payment for her car it can be at any Thai bank and doesn't matter where in the country she is.

I also have a Thai bank account and am happy to pay the tiny fees I occassionaly get charged with which are nothing compared with UK bank fees.

15 minutes ago, fruitman said:

2.25 euro for each transaction...i don't know who keeps the profit of the exchange rate. Somebody should take that though since i get a much better rate at the moneychangers in BKK.

Thank-you. I have nothing to add. It simply must be that it's more costly for a bigger ship to send mine all the way across an  ocean

1 hour ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

Wow! thers a reason for brexit and trump right there. 

Why? I'm challenging the use of the term 'westerners' in reference to a bank policy. The banks policy is to charge all non Thai cards extra fees and not just 'westerners'... This highlights how narrow minded Fruitman is as he only views the world through his imperialistic western ideals.. I don't really care about the policy as I have numerous THai accounts. What I do care about is people being arrogant and narrow minded and bashing Thailand because they think all of their 'western' ideals are superior...

3 minutes ago, silent said:

Thank-you. I have nothing to add. It simply must be that it's more costly for a bigger ship to send mine all the way across an  ocean

Well big amounts of money you better wire transfer but still get the bad exchange rate.

The other day i bought something for 5000 euro which i wanted to withdraw from the ATM's. I could only get 250 euro at each transaction and paid 200+100 plus the loss in exchangerate. On top of that i couldn't use the atm that many times a day and it took a long time to do so many atm transactions. Very frustrating.

In Europe at birthday parties they talk about their holidays to eachother. You should hear what they say about Thailand.....and that won't change over a year or even 5 years.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

So I can use my UK bank debit card to withdraw money from my Bangkok bank and not be charged the 200Bt fee? I don't think so.

I have never ever since the Thailand bank put the withdrawal fee up to 180Bt, used my UK card in a Thai ATM.

Just now, possum1931 said:

So I can use my UK bank debit card to withdraw money from my Bangkok bank and not be charged the 200Bt fee? I don't think so.

I have never ever since the Thailand bank put the withdrawal fee up to 180Bt, used my UK card in a Thai ATM.

For debitcards you also have to pay a fee. Plus a commission of 1-2% over the amount you withdraw. Also you get a bad exchange rate

1 hour ago, claffey said:

All banks in all countries are thieving capitalists.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

All banks in all countries are thieving capitalists.

I agree but if you take a worldcard for using atm's all over the world they tell you the fee for each transaction right? So in case of Thailand they add another fee of 180-200 baht on top of that which is not in your contract with your homebank.

They keep this all silent unless customers protest against it. Even then they act like it's normal untill you threaten them to change bank. Then suddenly they refund it (in my case) since they don't want to loose me as customer.

Archived