Thai banks to waive inter-provincial ATM charges from now until January 3rd

webfact

7 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well big amounts of money you better wire transfer but still get the bad exchange rate.

The other day i bought something for 5000 euro which i wanted to withdraw from the ATM's. I could only get 250 euro at each transaction and paid 200+100 plus the loss in exchangerate. On top of that i couldn't use the atm that many times a day and it took a long time to do so many atm transactions. Very frustrating.

In Europe at birthday parties they talk about their holidays to eachother. You should hear what they say about Thailand.....and that won't change over a year or even 5 years.

So you bought something for over 200,000 baht and you wanted to pay in cash using ATM withdrawals from a foreign account. Ahh..I'm no genius but perhaps you could have paid with a debit card or even a bank transfer. Ridiculous waste of money...

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

All banks in all countries are thieving capitalists.

Yes, but they're the ones that nicely keep our money safer and we're the ones that let them have it so when we want it back, they can legally exploit us. Reality's a bitch

54 minutes ago, fruitman said:

It's not from one year to another, it's already happening since a few years now. There are no western tourists, guess why?

The baht is too strong, the airport tax is high, the atm-fee is very high, the scamming continues, the roadsafety is not improved at all, thailand is not considered a safe destination and has negativ traveladvice, there is a bombthread in Thailand at touristic spots....need some more reasons?

I still think Thailand is one of the safest countries in the world, including for terrorism, just a pity about their road statistics.

19 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Well big amounts of money you better wire transfer but still get the bad exchange rate.

The other day i bought something for 5000 euro which i wanted to withdraw from the ATM's. I could only get 250 euro at each transaction and paid 200+100 plus the loss in exchangerate. On top of that i couldn't use the atm that many times a day and it took a long time to do so many atm transactions. Very frustrating.

In Europe at birthday parties they talk about their holidays to eachother. You should hear what they say about Thailand.....and that won't change over a year or even 5 years.

I think the emphasis might have landed in the wrong place. The reason for the bigger ship is the length and depth of the ocean between here and the British Isles as opposed to North America that could account for about thrice the cost at the other end of the transaction.. Although there's always the possibility that somebody has to pay for that monster internet cables that the money has to get here through.

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

So the banks installed atm's to save money on personellcosts but have to charge their own customers from another province, how greedy they are! That's why i won't open a Thai bankaccount.

Also the 200 baht atm-fee for westerners is absurd but tourist numbers will show it this year.

Yes and when you transfer money into your account from abroad they charge a fee again. In the end they gain more money to lend out to fatten their profits. Banks get you coming and going and standing still. Its fast becoming a privilege to for you to have a bank accept your money for deposit. Next is a bank parking fee for your funds. At  almost zero percent interest on their loans why would they not want you to share in the pain. 

I wonder what the actual cost of these withdrawals from foreign banks is for Thai banks.... less than one baht? They can pick up some of the action on exchange rate, but I highly doubt anywhere near 200 baht. Reminds me of joke "why does a dog lick his balls?"

3 hours ago, claffey said:

Why? I'm challenging the use of the term 'westerners' in reference to a bank policy. The banks policy is to charge all non Thai cards extra fees and not just 'westerners'... This highlights how narrow minded Fruitman is as he only views the world through his imperialistic western ideals.. I don't really care about the policy as I have numerous THai accounts. What I do care about is people being arrogant and narrow minded and bashing Thailand because they think all of their 'western' ideals are superior...

"I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!" Your words to fruitman over a topic on thai atm withdrawal charges!! Really?  He's a racists for complaining about an unnecessary bank charge.....

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Didn't take long for this thread to go completely off topic and turn into a space for venting any complaint about banks. Some of them extremely tenuous and unjustified.

Oh yea, come back in the afternoon and such a thread has gone to the wild.

Completely off-topic and ever recurring stories.

Annoying :sleep:

6 hours ago, claffey said:

A 200 baht atm fee for 'Westerners'???? What are you talking about. There are many more people from non western countries using bank accounts in Thailand. It seems to me you are playing a 'race card'. The Thai banking system has many small charges just like other banking systems around the world, including Europe. In my hometown you have to pay an extra fee to lodge at the counter instead of through a machine!! That's just one example. I can find more but I have other things to do. I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!

Not sure if you are joking, but a 200 baht withdrawal fee is not a small charge. Of course the one using the debit card could easily also be levied a charge from the issuing bank. Many debit accounts in my country also levy a 1 euro charge if used abroad (outside of the Euro zone that is !). Making the total cost of a single, electronic transaction a staggering 6 euro and some cents.

The Euro zone is completely free of ATM withdrawal charges, so I can use my debit card in Spain, using a different bank and not pay a single satang. Interprovincial charges have never existed in my country, ludicrous no other words.

It is pretty simple, I pay the bank a monthly fee to have an account with them, and that includes usage of an ATM, it is therefore not my problem that those banks seems to charge each other ludicrous amounts just for an electronic transaction. On top of the ludicrous fee, they also take a certain percentage of the exchange rate.

Time to stop this ripp-off practice.

Not that I personally am complaining though, My bank back home does not charge me for ATM withdrawal (short from a 0.1% cut on the exchange rate) and here in Thailand, Citibank still does not charge the 200 baht fee, and does provide a decent exchange rate. Many more people do pay the 6 euro each and every time, this cannot possibly be explained.

Banks anywhere are a business in their own right and not primarily for your benefit. The cost of  government enforced use of  banking  services  in western countries which is mostly aimed  at achieving a fully monitered cashless society ,and therefore auto tax auditable, empowers banks to  extract fees in  any one way or another. Thai Banks  operate their  business  systems very similarly to any internationally with this one exception that even the  BOT has repeatedly questioned any  justification of inter provincial  fees  between branches of the same  bank.

Restrictions  on  international withdrawal limts via  atm may have more to do  with  G Bush  Jnr. inflicting  a USA right  (???) to look at any  bank account in the  f..in  world  under the  guise  of  home land  security.

Wake up   pebbles!  It is  not  the US  Government as such who  controls the  world. It is  the  gnomes  behind  the  financial  system .

If you  have  a card to use you already  have a number tattooed  to  your identity. Oi  vay!

Long may Thailand (and  Asia in  general)piss them off  by predominantly  using cash !

16 hours ago, goldenbrwn1 said:

"I would suggest you take your Thai bashing and racist views elsewhere!!!" Your words to fruitman over a topic on thai atm withdrawal charges!! Really?  He's a racists for complaining about an unnecessary bank charge.....

Can't you read? I took issue over his use of the term 'westerners'. It's like he's having a go at Thailand just for the sake of it. Why move to a country and complain about how everything is not the same as back home? We pay a lot more taxes in our home countries so a 'tax' on ATM withdrawals ,which you don't need to use if you are resident and have Thai accounts, is in my mind complaining for the sake of complaining and a form of Thai bashing, especially considering his use of the term' Westerners'. He was trying to make out that the ATM fees are targeting Westerners when the fact is there are probably more foreigners here who are not 'Western'...

On 15/11/2016 at 8:55 AM, arithai12 said:

I don't know about your country, but in the countries I have experiences of in Europe the banks will charge for withdrawals from an ATM of another bank, and much more than the 15B I get charged now across cities in Thailand.

About the 200B fee for withdrawing with a foreign card, you would not incur it if you had a thai bank account.

I got a Thai bank account but my pension check goes to Canadian bank.

On 11/15/2016 at 11:01 AM, possum1931 said:

So I can use my UK bank debit card to withdraw money from my Bangkok bank and not be charged the 200Bt fee? I don't think so.

I have never ever since the Thailand bank put the withdrawal fee up to 180Bt, used my UK card in a Thai ATM.

Sorry not what I said. If you have a BKB account, don't you have a BKB  ATM Card? Why not use that to withdraw?

(yes I know, the ATM card costs a whopping 150 Baht per year)

On 15/11/2016 at 10:20 AM, fruitman said:

It's not from one year to another, it's already happening since a few years now. There are no western tourists, guess why?

The baht is too strong, the airport tax is high, the atm-fee is very high, the scamming continues, the roadsafety is not improved at all, thailand is not considered a safe destination and has negativ traveladvice, there is a bombthread in Thailand at touristic spots....need some more reasons?

Would you care to back that wild claim with some official figures? There are no Western tourists in Thailand?

This is from a 2016 TAT report:

Europe: European visitors grew by 8.89% to 2.52 million. Russia retained its status as the largest source market with arrivals of 443,346, up 15.25%. The UK was next with arrivals of 369,671, up 10.12%, followed by Germany 345,095, up 8.33% and France 321,087, up 9.61%.

Arrivals also grew from Spain (+13.99%), Sweden (+10.29%), Italy (+8.73%), Netherlands (+8.33%), and Ireland (+7.50%).

The Americas: Arrivals from the Americas were up 13.76% to 502,627. The main market, the USA, up by 14.26% to 337,243. Arrivals from Canada were up 6.39%. Showing considerable promise are the Latin American markets; such as, Argentina (+66.58%).

Fabricating facts and posting them on Internet forums in an attempt to justify misguided opinions is a contemptible practice at best.

On 11/15/2016 at 11:00 AM, fruitman said:

Let me guess... that the food is good, the weather is nice, the girls are cute, the beers are cheap, people are generally kinder than in UK or France or Germany?

I can agree that Thailand is far from perfect, but if you want to bash, any country can be bashed.

Why not stick to the OP? What's the problem with 15B inter-provincial fee, and the fact that it is now being waived for a few months?

5 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Let me guess... that the food is good, the weather is nice, the girls are cute, the beers are cheap, people are generally kinder than in UK or France or Germany?

I can agree that Thailand is far from perfect, but if you want to bash, any country can be bashed.

Why not stick to the OP? What's the problem with 15B inter-provincial fee, and the fact that it is now being waived for a few months?

My family doesn't like rental girls since they are all married. The weather was too hot and the beer wasn't cheap neither.

I don't understand the 15 baht interprovincial charge for Thai from another province and also not why it's only temporary waived. A national bank should allow customers to withdraw money for free all over the country and all year around.

15 baht is much if you make 300 a day and atm's should make the operationcosts for banks lower.  It's time Thailand gets more competition so there will be banks who have free withdrawals in every ASEAN country.

I've found I'm accumulating Thai bank accounts faster than my collection of worthless gadgets that I never end up using, due entirely to the inter-province charging.  Used to annoy me and I did contemplate closing them down in the provinces I no longer live and just opening the 'No ATM fees' account at Krungsrii.  Having thought about it long and hard though I decided to keep 3 of the accounts I have with Kasikorn at least:

One where I live where the debit card is used often but holds about 10k max at any one time (just in case I lose the card).  Free online transfers using the bank mobile app make shipping money between the accounts instant and easy.

One in a province I visit often and which holds the bulk of the cash I keep here. Debit card and bank book remain locked up at home. I use that card in that province, avoiding the charges.

One in a province I used to live and which I was going to close BUT it is the only account for which I have enabled the debit card for online shopping, the account also being linked to a virtual online credit card.  Holds around 50 baht until I top it up on an as needs basis when I need to book or buy something.

Handy to have the spare debit cards just in case I ever lose one or it gets snaffled by an ATM machine and the cost of all 3 is only about 5-600 per year.  Not worth even thinking about.  One card must have a longer life span as I've never been charged for renewing it yet and I've had the account 2 years plus already.

Figured it's handy to have at least one extra account giving me a spare ATM card to use and on that basis might as well keep them with the same bank.

Archived