Retirement renewal visa, Bank book twist

Emster23

OK, so it was a bigger time gap than previous day or weekend.

I suggest next year try previous day, and if doesn't work, off to McDonalds for me.

I think it's fair to assume that even though the enforcement policy has been as old as one week, fresher is better.  No compelling evidence at this point that means SAME DAY is required.

Readers ... this is about enforcement at JOMTIEN. Such things vary a lot office to office. 

I seriously doubt you were treated differently because of American nationality.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

As an American I find your comment embarrassingly arrogant and in the past week or so there's been no shortage of reasons to feel embarrassed by American arrogance.

He's just demonstrating the American attitude to the rest of the world! Being American is being special. :whistling:

The past week has demonstrated American stupidity not arrogance.  

5 hours ago, i claudius said:

I usually get mine the day before ,never had a problem in 10 years .

I did to until a couple of years ago when they stopped me and demanded a letter from the bank for that morning. I actually got the letter that morning and it was updated then, but for some reason the bank dated it the day before. So I had to go back and get another one. 

So you may continue to get away with this, or you may not and get stopped next time. Personally I prefer to be in and out and not have to make a trip someplace first then come back. 

4 hours ago, peeba7 said:

Please do note for those that used rental receipts in the past, they are now requiring: copy of the ID of owner at rental location, and a copy of the blue book of the rental location and a third thing, it's on a small slip of paper they give you, i forgot the third thing, someone else chime in please.

Did my extension monday at jomtien, no copy of ID of owner or blue book at my rental location was required, only a copy of the rental agreement.

12 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

I don't think you are correct there. If a book is updated and your last transaction was several days before then that is the date that is the last date shown on the bank book, at least it is with the Bangkok Bank. I actually got my letter the day before going to Chaeng Wattana so they had to update my bank book, the last transaction date was the 12th, the letter was dated to reflect the balance in the account on the 15th which in fact was the same as three days previously and that was the letter along with my bank book that I presented to immigration. However despite the letter showing the previous days date I was advised to withdraw some small sum and show the balance on the book as of the day I presented it on the 16th. Just my luck the power to the ground floor was down so I could not use the Bangkok Bank in the immigration building and had to go about 2 miles to another branch.

" I don't think you are correct there. If a book is updated and your last transaction was several days before then that is the date that is the last date shown on the bank book, at least it is with the Bangkok Bank "

I use Bangkok bank. I hand over the book when I request the letter. They do an update of the book and the last entry in the book is the date the letter is issued whether or not there's been a transaction on that date. Maybe they use special magic to get the dates to match. Done it every year for the past decade. Never a problem.

21 minutes ago, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

I just had the same experience as OP at Chiang Rai Immigration: bank book last entry was in July and I got the letter from my bank verifying funds today. Had to go back to my bank and add THB100 and get photocopy of updated book. I found out during my return that the big boss only visits the CEI office on Mondays and Wednesdays, so I was unable to get my visa renewal today. Guess I will see on Monday if I need to add another THB100 and get a new letter.

Also, this is the first time they asked for copies of every stamped page in my passport plus copies of my Thai GF's house book and ID.

"... so I was unable to get my visa renewal today "

Visas are not renewed. You do not have a visa if you are doing annual extensions of stay, which is the reason you need a re-entry permit to exit and return the country while keeping your extension in tact. No it is not just a matter of semantics. Visas and extensions (of your permission to stay) serve different purposes.

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Visas are not renewed. You do not have a visa if you are doing annual extensions of stay, which is the reason you need a re-entry permit to exit and return the country while keeping your extension in tact. No it is not just a matter of semantics. Visas and extensions (of your permission to stay) serve different purposes.

I think u know wot he means.

Move to Krabi.

Got my balance letter from the bank last week.

Went in at 10:00 a.m. this morning with all my paperwork for renewing my retirement extension. Out by 10:45 with my passport stamped and done for another year.

Only difference from previous visits was asking me to fill out a form asking my favourite restaurant in the area and to give 3 contact names and numbers in case of emergency.

Seems to me the less ex-pats use any given office the better the quality of service (previously I have used Phuket and Bangkok - both were a pain!)

I use Term Deposit, but you must be careful to make sure the term commences 2 - 3 months before you apply for your extension (to season the 400,000 Baht) and does not come to maturity until after your intended date of renewal. If your TD expires in the critical 2 - 3 month period and you commence a new TD (usually a new account), you will have to get a letter from the bank explaining the transfer/new account.

I have always got the letter and bankbook updated the day before I drive 2 hours to Immigration, and never had a problem. But for the past 2 years, they have made me go to a local bank branch, deposit 100 baht, then return with the bank book updated for the current day.

I have always got the letter and bankbook updated the day before I drive 2 hours to Immigration, and never had a problem. But for the past 2 years, they have made me go to a local bank branch, deposit 100 baht, then return with the bank book updated for the current day.

Which office?

3 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

You're not 100% correct, either. I have a non-immigration (O-A) visa which I extend every year using form TM 7. So what if I used the word "renew" instead of "extend" in my original post? ... you missed the point of my post.

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well, we're talking about Jomtien and actually it's well known that at Jomtien they accept letters as old as one week old.

I don't agree the day before is a stretch there at all. It is totally usual.

Also a Friday before Monday on a weekend (or similar gap for holiday) won't be a problem. 

My point -- DO NOT go to extra stress to get a same day letter or transaction at Jomtien based on this one topic. 

If there is really some kind of general change about that, we'll know later. I don't believe that has happened yet at all. 

I got turned down for a one week old letter at jomtien, so i think it depends on what mood the person checking, is in that day!

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

OK. Good info. But I bet day before is still OK.

Yes i was told two days max, now i get it from bank on day of visiting emigration along with bookbank update, fortunately i can do this on the way from Sattahip, people living further would out in the sticks maybe have a problem!

As stated by others many times, the rules (if there are any) are at the whim of the person dealing with it on that day!

That has always been the rule as far as I know... the reasoning being that, money drawn out with an ATM would not show up. I always make a deposit when I am in the bank getting the letter which is always the day before going to immigration... 

It is not a difficult rule, as long as you know to do it... good luck. 

i was fortunate enough a couple of years back to get a 4%, 5-year fixed deposit at Krung Thai Bank. Update the bank book the day before and get the bank letter. Interest is earned monthly and transferred to a savings account so an update has some meaning. Never had a problem at Jomthien Immo. 

They need to get with the times. I could get my phone out and show the guy my balance and previous transactions up to that minute. I used to do the bank letter and update the day before traipsing off to Jomtiem but more recently try to get it done the same morning. Business for their friends in the copy shop adjacent.

On 11/15/2016 at 1:47 PM, oxforddon said:

Not just his rule as I had this before in Bangkok. Fact is that even a day old letter or balance in book does not prove that you did not withdraw it all via ATM just before going to Immigration.

Yet at the same immigration office money can go in for seconds and out again.Once again,their rules,for a consideration,of course.

16 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

Same crap happened to me in Chiang Mai immigration. What a p*sser. He gave me till 12 noon to return or start the whole process over again. Now I know what the Running Man felt like in the movie. 

How do you get same day letter in CM if you have to line up at 4am?

Archived