Retirement renewal visa, Bank book twist

Emster23

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an American I find your comment embarrassingly arrogant and in the past week or so there's been no shortage of reasons to feel embarrassed by American arrogance.

The arrogance is your lack of knowledge coupled with strong opinions. There is a treaty between thailand and america that does give americans an advantage in business investment over other countries.

http://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/US-Thai%20Amity.php

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, brucec64 said:

The arrogance is your lack of knowledge coupled with strong opinions. There is a treaty between thailand and america that does give americans an advantage in business investment over other countries.

http://www.siam-legal.com/Business-in-Thailand/US-Thai%20Amity.php

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

But, how does that apply to Immigrations policy/precedure for retirement extensions?  :unsure:

1 hour ago, wpcoe said:

But, how does that apply to Immigrations policy/precedure for retirement extensions?  :unsure:

Interesting point.

But how come someone can allegedly   get an agent to gets his 12 month extension of stay,   for  a sum of money,  when he or she has never had a penny in the bank for 60 days maturing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing Thailand.

Policy and Procedure .

What's that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :stoner:

Did I miss something, from the OP? My Provincial Immigration office requires a  printout of 90 days transactions in my savings account, certified  by the bank. I thought that was a standard requirement, as my bank (small village branch) reminded me to obtain it...and they are not particularly proactive about anything. So good for them. So, a 90 days printout out, certified, in addition to the certificate of balance of 800K. I always get it sorted, same day. I have to drive 250km round trip, so anyone in a big town should have no trouble with a what was it, a 2km trip back to the bank.

Did I miss something, from the OP? My Provincial Immigration office requires a  printout of 90 days transactions in my savings account, certified  by the bank. I thought that was a standard requirement, as my bank (small village branch) reminded me to obtain it...and they are not particularly proactive about anything. So good for them. So, a 90 days printout out, certified, in addition to the certificate of balance of 800K. I always get it sorted, same day. I have to drive 250km round trip, so anyone in a big town should have no trouble with a what was it, a 2km trip back to the bank.

Not ever required at Jomtien. You do need a copy of bank book going back about four months. Also the id page. Just sign the copies yourself.

Yes, that was something new they hit me with 2 years ago. A print out from the bank showing the last 90 days transactions, even though there were no transactions made, and that was confirmed in the bankbook. Obviously, the requirements vary from office to office, and can change without warning. Be prepared for anything even if it makes no sense.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 11:09 PM, wallywoo said:

Did my extension monday at jomtien, no copy of ID of owner or blue book at my rental location was required, only a copy of the rental agreement.

This is encouraging as I can not get a copy of the house book but they did hand me a slip at immigration requiring: ID of landlord, rental contract and copy of house book.  I will find out real soon if I am treated the same or differently.   

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2016 at 4:11 PM, Suradit69 said:

" I don't think you are correct there. If a book is updated and your last transaction was several days before then that is the date that is the last date shown on the bank book, at least it is with the Bangkok Bank "

I use Bangkok bank. I hand over the book when I request the letter. They do an update of the book and the last entry in the book is the date the letter is issued whether or not there's been a transaction on that date. Maybe they use special magic to get the dates to match. Done it every year for the past decade. Never a problem.

Just checked my previous bank book. Last year I did my retirement renewal on 25 December. I went to the bank on 24 December. I had had no transactions for over a week and did none the day I went to the bank.

Checking the book , they or I shoved it into the updater and it shows 24 December b/f (brought forward) the same balance I had before following my last transaction a week previous.

So at least at my branch of Bangkok Bank the updater machine will print out the balance on the same date you shove it in the machine without the need to do any last minute ATM transaction.

I used to produce two letters from the Bangkok Bank, one showing the current balance and the other showing that the annual pension transfer had come from the UK and was done 3 months prior to my application. However for the past two years they have returned the proof of transfer letter and seem only interested in the current balance.

I always get the letter and update the bank book in the SCB branch at the bottom of soi 5 on Beach Road immediately before going to Immigration for the visa extension.

I renewed the extension for another year based on retirement last week. Nothing has changed in the paperwork requirements at Immigration but SCB managed to screw me up.

Firstly, as well as the letter conforming the bank balance they gave me a computer print-out of the account. I assumed this was a new requirement from Immigration and included it with the letter and copies of the bank passbook.

The lady dealing with retirement extensions checked my paperwork and pointed out to me that the total in the letter was different from the total in my passbook which was again different from the total on the computer printout they'd given me at SCB.

So off I trekked back down soi 5 to Beach Road.  The SCB staff had forgotten to update the passbook (or did they just do it to annoy a farang?) which explained the difference with the letter. They couldn't explain the computer printout total to me, but said it was their bank's policy to provide this to customers and Immigration didn't need it. Great, so they give you something they can't explain and which nobody actually needs. Thanks very much for that.

So back I went with a letter and copy of the passbook showing matching totals, and the computer printout went into a dark place never to be seen again. All was well with the lady in Immigration and she accepted the application and told me to return two days later to pick up my passport, which I did.

The moral of this story is to watch what the bank gives you and if you get this printout of your account from them then just file it somewhere, Immigration don't want it and you'll just confuse matters by giving it to them.

I have recent experience with this.

Yes, you do need to make sure to update your book before getting the letter.

I think it's our responsibility to ask (or do it yourself if there's a machine at your branch) if they forget though I doubt you usually need to ask.

For a few years now SCB has been including a monthly bank statement which will likely not match your last balance if the end of your monthly statement period happened before you made even one transaction after that. So basically useless.

Both times I have not offered that useless statement to immigration and never asked for. 

Yes, the last balance in the book and the letter should really match exactly.

Cheers.

On 11/18/2016 at 0:06 AM, EddieBaBaBoBo said:

You're not 100% correct, either. I have a non-immigration (O-A) visa which I extend every year using form TM 7. So what if I used the word "renew" instead of "extend" in my original post? ... you missed the point of my post.

Interestingly the Thais themselves talk about renewal, not extension. You have only to read Siam Legal's page on retirement visas to find multiple examples of this

Archived