Got an SETV in Vietnam after 2 yr Overstay followed by 7 Visa Exemptions

6 minutes ago, gamini said:

I hope they lock him up and deport him. Such people make it harder for us to live here.

No they don't. With or without "such people" you are still sitting in a mousetrap and don't try to fool yourself otherwise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

do you have proof of this ?

Check his previous posts, the OP is a "digital nomad", and like most of them, he is working here illegally and probably like a lot of them, he was on a huge overstay and is now "playing the system" instead of getting the correct visa and associated work permit.

There are a few companies that employ digital nomads, (albeit for a fee), but most of them would rather not pay and be illegal.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

Really ? Someone is paying any tax in this country ? Sorry I didn't know that such ridiculous people exist ?

I never paid any in USA so why paying here ? Funny you <3

Yes, all the legal workers here are paying tax.

28 minutes ago, impulse said:

Legal, illegal, or in the gray, the guy posted some info that is of great interest to a lot of TVF posters who are perfectly legal but in a visa pickle.

Bash him all you want, but I appreciate the information- even if it's not relevant to my situation.  The next one may be relevant- unless, of course, the next guy doesn't post anything for the certainty of being bashed incessantly.  

Can't say I would blame him.  But I'd be worse off for missing out on the info.  I suspect I wouldn't be alone.

What do you mean by: who are perfectly legal but in a visa pickle?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, impulse said:

Legal, illegal, or in the gray, the guy posted some info that is of great interest to a lot of TVF posters who are perfectly legal but in a visa pickle.

Just to clarify, the OP is NOT perfectly legal, he is working illegally, this is after he had a long overstay, that he only cleared because of the new rules. Had the new rules not been introduced, the OP would still be on overstay and working illegally.

Is that what you meant by "visa pickle" ?

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What do you mean by: who are perfectly legal but in a visa pickle?

Lots of folks can no longer get visas in some embassies or borders, but can get them in others.  If they can get one in Vietnam, they're perfectly legal- even if they're not within the criteria of tougher embassies.

5 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Just to clarify, the OP is NOT perfectly legal, he is working illegally, this is after he had a long overstay, that he only cleared because of the new rules. Had the new rules not been introduced, the OP would still be on overstay and working illegally.

Is that what you meant by "visa pickle" ?

I never said the OP was legal- He may not be, but I don't scrounge through past posts to dig stuff up on members.  

But the good info he has posted also applies many to people who are perfectly legal.  People who can't get visas at one embassy because of inconsistent policies, and can get them at others.

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

Lots of folks can no longer get visas in some embassies or borders, but can get them in others.  If they can get one in Vietnam, they're perfectly legal- even if they're not within the criteria of tougher embassies.

" they're perfectly legal- "

But the final decision regarding whether or not to admit someone and give him a permission to stay rests with immigrations. Refusal for someone holding a visa would be rare, though warnings are more common. Embassies/Consulates do not have access to an applicant's immigration history other than what they can see in the passport. 

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

I never said the OP was legal- He may not be, but I don't scrounge through past posts to dig stuff up on members.  

But the good info he has posted also applies many to people who are perfectly legal.  People who can't get visas at one embassy because of inconsistent policies, and can get them at others.

" People who can't get visas at one embassy because of inconsistent policies ..."

Inconsistent with what? Embassies of all countries establish policies that differ from one location to another.

US or UK embassies, for example, do not issue tourist visas to applicants in Australia using the same criteria they would for applicants in Bangladesh. 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is far from clear that the digital nomads employed through companies like Iglu (http://iglu.net/) while they are on the books of a Thai company, are strictly within all the rules either. They do, of course, pay dearly for the illusion that they are totally legal though. Meanwhile, places like KoHub (http://kohub.org) and Hubba (http://hubbathailand.com/)and many others seem to function perfectly fine in spite of your assurance that they are providing facilities to lawbreakers. The police know exactly where to find many of the digital nomads but, except for the raid on PunSpace a couple of years ago (widely viewed as a mistake, and resulting in no prosecutions) no action is taken. Why?

All good info, and I have no problem with anyone pursuing those options.  But they need to be ready with a Plan B if the rules or enforcement of the rules change.  Lots of rules have changed in the past few years, more are probably changing as we type here tonight. And enforcement is often calculated to maximize the wealth and status of the people doing the enforcing.  

Some folks don't care to put down roots, and are perfectly willing to move on a moments' notice.  Right up until that little bundle of joy pops out of the oven and a lifelong attachment forms in a very transient living situation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bberrythailand said:

Really ? Someone is paying any tax in this country ? Sorry n didn't know that such ridiculous people exist ?

I never paid any in USA so why paying here ? Funny you <3

USA doesn't have a cross over tracing sistem between who pay you, the bank that transfer the money (cse no cash allowed), the receiving bankg and your receipt book registered officialy and numbered by the tax office from where you release copy to the payer with the amount and VAT that have to be given to tax office??I

And each end of year u have to give back the receipts not used and justify the missing with the Income declaration??

On what Is the tax sistem based there??

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016 at 9:32 AM, sfokevin said:

It will be interesting to hear what the border immigration officials do when you actually re-enter the country?...

On 17/11/2016 at 4:14 AM, hawker9000 said:

Yeap.  Getting the visa doesn't mean you're home free.

Just re-entered today, not a word spoken to me by the IO. 

Actually I think he gave me another visa exemption and didn't notice the tourist visa because it was on a later page after a half empty page before the vietnam visa sticker.

Can I use the tourist visa next time since it's valid til Feb 13th?  I'll start another thread about that maybe it can help somebody else, I did a search and couldn't find anything

• Like 1